• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai Beach Villas - requesting feedback

DenverDucati

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
Good day everyone. I am new to Timeshares...I am currently debating the Wyndham Vacations Club (Points) as a friend signed up and she is really loving the flexibility...she bought in Vegas but I was gonna just buy on Ebay.

But my question about Kauai Beach Villa's, Ive been looking at tug2 listings and there are several that are pretty reasonable (sub $1k) and they are all floating. My question is to those who have this location and have it 'floating' how difficult is it to book? Again I am new, so I have zero idea. My gf and I went in March, and we LOVED this location...I booked on Priceline.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Deeded view is very important at KBV. If you want one of the oceanfront units, you must buy an oceanfront unit.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good day everyone. I am new to Timeshares...I am currently debating the Wyndham Vacations Club (Points) as a friend signed up and she is really loving the flexibility...she bought in Vegas but I was gonna just buy on Ebay.

But my question about Kauai Beach Villa's, Ive been looking at tug2 listings and there are several that are pretty reasonable (sub $1k) and they are all floating. My question is to those who have this location and have it 'floating' how difficult is it to book? Again I am new, so I have zero idea. My gf and I went in March, and we LOVED this location...I booked on Priceline.
If you’re looking at a deeded float week that hasn’t been converted to Wyndham points you’ll only be able to book at Kauai Beach Villas
If you want the Wyndham flexibility that your friend has you have to buy a Wyndham points contract, that can be a float week that has already been converted to Wyndham points. You cannot convert a resale float week after you buy it

DenverDucati

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
Thanks! Im not super concerned about having a view

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

You may not be concerned with having a view, but I believe a large percentage of buyers are concerned with having a desirable view.

With that said, give some serious consideration to Oceanfront view for the future. You may decide to rent or sell at some point and you will be very glad you have Oceanfront. And, as you get older, you could kick yourself for not buying Oceanfront to begin with.

Keep in mind that Oceanfront land gets scarcer and scarcer as time goes on; after all, if there is not an active volcano then no more Oceanfront land is being created.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Good point TimeTraveler.

There are three unit types at KBV: 1br1ba, 1br2ba, and 2br2ba. The 1br1ba units are lowest maintenance fees, and are located on the back (parking lot) ends of Buildings A through G. Some are privately owned, so not all are part of the timeshare.

1br2ba units are on the front (lagoon) side ends of Buildings A through E, and the ocean view side ends of Buildings F and G. Some of those are also privately owned. For example, in Building G, only G1 and G5 are in the timeshare association. There are no 1br units in Building H.

2br2ba units are in all buildings. Building A through E are all Lagoon View. Buildings F, G, and H are oceanview or ocean front units.

Maintenance fees are the same for all units of that size, regardless of view type. But when you book your week to stay there, the units float, and you are limited to the view type you own. If you own OceanView/Front (same thing) you can book any of the oceanview/front units of that same size. If you own Lagoon View, you can only reserve units in Buildings A through E. The units are nicely done, and none are bad, but generally speaking, OceanView/Front is preferred.

(Full disclosure: I owned in G building at KBV for more than ten years. That oceanfront view is very pleasant.)

Dave

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts

Then KBV is a good choice - I own there as do a number of members here on TUG. Even though you will not have a view of the ocean, other than Shearwater up in Princeville, you will be in a great location near the beach in the center main island ring road. Plus you have access to a great resort pool at the hotel next door (in addition to the KBV pool).

The resort is in the process of putting in A/C in each bedroom and living area - and when that is done, it will be the only Wyndham on Kauai that is Beachfront with A/C and a Resort Pool.

In addition the resort is not in densely developed area of the island. Other than the resort hotel to the south (were we can use their resort pool and hot tubs), and KBV - there is nothing developed on huge swathed of coastline.

One of the reasons the price is so low is that some owners are in a proxy battle with Wyndham - which owns ~20% of the units. The election did not go their way, so those owners are attempting to mount a class action lawsuit. This will only result in HOA funds begin diverted to a bunch of lawyers. And if they are successful, their agenda is likely to result in a nice special assessment. Yes, the units are not as nice as some of the Princeville resorts - but I think our other other strengths balance that out.

Last edited:

DenverDucati

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
Yes it is an amazing area, I stayed in the hotel portion which is why I was interested in looking into KBV Timeshare

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater

Aloha DenverDucati,
I just perused the KBV for sale listings in the TUG marketplace. I did not see any indication that any of the listings were in the Wyndham points system; perhaps I overlooked something.
I cannot tell from your post whether the Wyndham aspect of the ownership is important to you.
Are you under the impression that these listings are in the Wyndham system? Are you planning to stay at KBV most usage years or trade most of the time?
Jack
p.s. if being in the Wyndham system is important to you, then this thread may have some relevant content https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...-ebay-there-are-problems.278395/#post-2183299

Last edited:

DenverDucati

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
Thank you Jacknsara! No I was not under that impression...I was talking about two differing things I was pursuing. Sorry for any confusion.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own here, though I am in the process of paring down and selling the remaining 2 of 3 intervals I had.

IMHO, the primary reasons why prices are so low:

1. Kauai is overbuilt with timeshares. There are numerous options to stay, and maintenance fees are generally high on Hawaii. At KBV, you can rent for often less than the maintenance fees, even for Christmas and New Years, assuming the week you want appears for rent. The advantage of owning is that you can book whenever you want to book and not worry about finding the specific week you need. Since you don't care about view, it will be even easier to find a week to rent out.
2. The beach is not swimmable. I didn't mind as an owner, because beaches can be found a short drive away, but there are a good number of tourists that appreciate a resort where you can just walk out to the beach.

Yes, there is a group of owners that are fighting Wyndham. I do not agree with the above poster that this is driving prices lower -- I picked a couple of mine up for free years ago (came with maintenance fee paid) when Wyndham ran it based on Denise's recommendation so bargains can always be had if you wait for the right deal.

It is a great resort -- nice beach to view from your unit, great resort pool to use next door (if it stays that way -- the pool usage has been on and off), plus they are getting A/C in the units by the end of the year (needed during the summer because the trades don't blow all the time).

Good luck. I just wanted to provide my input so you can make an informed decision.

-ryan

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
If you’re looking at a deeded float week that hasn’t been converted to Wyndham points you’ll only be able to book at Kauai Beach Villas
It is true that you can't book Wyndham properties if your week has not been converted to Wyndham points, but for as long as Grand Pacific Vacations has the management contract, you would have access to exchanging within their system. I have a 1 bedroom at KBV - we exchanged our 2019 week for Makai Club Cottages so we could book it back to back with KBV in 2020.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite resort is Shell Kauai coast resort, also called beachboy. It is a small resort, 3 buildings. Really good restaurant on-site and walking distance to several others. It is behind the coconut coast marketplace.

So on ebay and sometimes here, you can get Shell points for free. I liked to book the 2 bedroom oceanfront room, in the lower season, it is ~5500 points which equates to about $1300. You do have to book 365 days out. There are only 6 two-bedroom oceanfront and 6 one-bedroom oceanfront units.

Shell is points, it has been bought by Wyndham but will stay in a relationship like WorldMark. If you do look into this....make sure you get only Hawaii club points. Shell has several different clubs ( Hawaii, west, etc). You pay a "club" fee for each one you own in and it also determines your reservation window.

Just another alternative if you like the Kapaa area

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My 3 Cents:

#1 - Since you can acquire deeded ocean front units for little or nothing, there is really no reason not to take your time and find one. The ocean front views are some of the very best in Hawaii - both pictures below were taken from our ocean front lanai.

#2 - We currently own 3, OF 2-Bdms. and all we paid was the cost of the title transfer. The prices have been low/free for at least 10 years - unrelated to the current events.

#3 - Lydgate Park with complete beach amenities and rock enclosed swimming lagoons is like 5 min. away.

kbv_view2.JPG
kbv-view2.jpg

*This patio furniture has been replaced with nicer furniture, but I posted this picture because it's a great example of the view.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the problem with the beaches there? Too much current?

How much is the maintenance fee for the 2BR units?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Henry - Most of the time the surf is high, because there is no protective reef, but we see kids boogie boarding and surfing there almost every day. In my first picture above, you can see a nice sandy beach area, which is a good place to enter the water, if you don't mind the surf. We often wade and bob around in the water in that location, but we don't go very far out.

The 2019 maintenance fee was about $1,600 for the 2 Bdm ocean front units. I will look it up in my files and update if I'm very far off.