• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

KAUA'I Activities JANUARY, 2012

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So, by popular demand, here are some January, 2012 Kaua'i activities. Some do not have defined dates as yet, but will be held because they have been ongoing for 30 years. As soon has I have been informed of dates, I will pass them along. Please have patience, as I have received numerous inquiries for upcoming info. I receive this info from friends on Kaua'i and organizations to which we belong.

:cheer: :cheer: 16 JANUARY 2012, every Monday through APRIL:cheer: :cheer:

Please note that as of today, I do not have confirmed starting date....stay tuned.
:cheer: E Kanikapila Kakou :cheer: held at 7pm at Kaua'i Beach Resort

This is an amazing event to see local (all islands) performers in all aspect of Hawaiian culture...hula, music, talk story and more...and it is FREE! Donations are requested at the door. Please come early...and I mean up to 3-4 hours in advance, as the hall is overflowing....and this is a local event in that the Hawaiians come and participate. Be expected to join in as you wish and thoroughly enjoy. We dance, sing, play ukulele and learn.

EKK is a very unique experience.

There is usually a pay concert the Friday or Sunday before this series starts...no info as yet.

28 JANUARY, 25 FEBRUARY, 31 MARCH

The 2012 Sanctuary Ocean Count held ar various locations island wide.

The Sanctuary Ocean Count project offers the community a chance to monitor humpback whales from the shores of O`ahu, Hawai`i and Kaua`i. The count is held the last Saturday of January, February, and March (during peak whale season) of each year from 8:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.

14 JANUARY 2012

Larry Rivera in Concert at the Kaua'i Museum
January 14, 2012 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm

1 Hour (Repeats Every Week Until December 29, 2012)

Larry Rivera, aka Mr. Coco Palms, delights visitors and residents alike in his weekly concert. Join Uncle Larry as he sings songs, talks story and share memories from his years at the Coco Palms.

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Sunday, January 29, 7:00 pm :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

E Kanikapila Kakou 2012 opens with Concert
"Waimaka Helelei" - Rev. Dennis Kamakahi & Stephen Inglis with songs of Kalaupapa, Molokai
Opening by Ke Kula Niihau o Kekaha
Kauai Beach Resort, Wailua
Tickets: $20 advance/ $30 at door

This is the start of the 29th season! This concert is a definite must if you are on island.

:cheer: :cheer: Monday, January 30, 6:00 - 9:00 pm :cheer: :cheer:

E Kanikapila Kakou 2012 - "Legacy of Hawaiian Music"
Brother Noland and Diana Aki
Kauai Beach Resort, Wailua
FREE, Donation request at the Door

This is held EVERY Monday night through April...same time, same place. Ukulele lessons the first hour, followed by the FREE concert. Get there early if you want a seat!

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Just wanted to Thank You for posting these. We're going to be there for a
couple of weeks in February and we will definitely be going to some of these
activities. My son plays the guitar and I would love to see him take a ukulele
lesson.:D

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10 am - 1 pm
Kaua'i Museum
Filipino Fiesta
St. Raphael Filipino Catholic Church
11 am Kasibulan Filipino Dance Company, followed by Larry Rivera 1 - 2 pm

The Phillipine Islands contain many different ethnic and cultural mixes and heritages and many of them can be found here in Hawai`i. Starting in 1906, Filipinos have been coming to Hawai`i looking for a better life and employment. After the Spanish American War of 1898, like Hawai`i, the Phillipines came under jurisdiction of the United States. The close relationship between Hawai`i and the Phillipines stemmed from their reliance on agriculture, principally sugarcane cultivation, and other commercial interests as leading players in the Pacific economy.

On display are a mix of cultural icons from the Phillipines including hats and knives that are unique in each of the provinces as well as Tero Ball butterfly-sleeve gowns that are familiar to Hawai`i residents.

As part of the exhibit, join the museum and the St. Raphael Filipino Catholic Club on Saturday, January 7, 2012 from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. (first Saturday 'Ohana Day). As a special treat the Kasibulan Filipino Dance Company will be performing a variety of dances from different parts of the Phillipines at 11 a.m. Experience food, costume, music, demonstrations and exhibits on this community day held once a month at the Kaua`i Museum at 4428 Rice Street in Lihu`e.

REGISTER NOW FOR THE 2012 SANCTUARY OCEAN COUNT
O'AHU, HAWAI'I, KAUA'I - Saturday, January 28, February 25, & March 31 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Volunteers count the number of humpback whales which can be seen around the islands over a four-hour period and record their behavior.

REGISTER ONLINE AT: http://sanctuaryoceancount.org FIND OUT MORE AT: http://hawaiihumpbackwhale.noaa.gov

TRAINING ON KAUAI:
For those of you who will be on Kauai, you are invited to attend one of the ocean count training sessions and whale lectures by Kauai Programs Coordinator Jean Souza. These sessions are optional (not mandatory) this year. The training will provide an overview of the ocean count project, how to fill out the data forms, when to meet and what to bring. The lecture will cover the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary program, humpback whale biology, behavior, research findings, and threats. Meet some of the other folks who will be doing the ocean count! Attendance is strongly recommended for new volunteers.

Saturday, January 21, 2012, 10:00 am-12 noon--King Kaumualii Elementary School Cafeteria, 4380 Hanamaulu Road (in Hanamaulu), Lihue 96766

Saturday, February 18, 2012, 10:00 am-12 noon--King Kaumualii Elemenary School Cafeteria, 4380 Hanamaulu Road (in Hanamaulu), Lihue 96766

Saturday, February 18, 2012, 2:00-4:00 pm--Kilauea Neighborhood Center Classroom, 2460 Keneke Street, Kilauea 96754

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
FREE Admission Kilauea Lighthouse

14 and 15 January 2012

Admission to Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge will be FREE Jan. 14 and Jan. 15 before closing Jan. 16 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

The free days are part of a federal Interior Department initiative to encourage Americans “to get outside, get active and visit public lands over the weekend,” a news release issued Wednesday stated. Admission fees are being waived this weekend at national wildlife refuges and parks throughout the United States.

Saturday, 14 January

'OKOLEHAU TRAIL HIKE.....North Shore Trail climbs 1,200 ft. on a ridge behind Hanalei with views of Hanalei Bay and North shore. Sierra Club outing open to the public. Strenuous four miles. Jane Schmitt (808) 826-6105.

An editorial comment...although the group lists this as "Strenuous"...we have done this many times, and it is an easy hike. It is pretty much all up hill until you get to the ridge, but it is not too steep. There are also roots crossing the trail in many places...but the views are to die for.

Sunday, 15 January

MAHA’ULEPU COASTAL WALK — Coastal walk, able to visit sinkhole/cave archeological site. Chance to see whales. Sierra Club outing open to the public. Easy to moderate 2.5 miles round trip. Call Allan Rachap at (808) 212-3108.

Last edited:

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
21 JANUARY 2012

KAUAI’S 1ST ZUMBA FEST — 8 to 11 a.m., Vidinha Soccer Stadium. Halau Ka Lei Mokihana o Leina`ala presents two full hours of Zumba with Anna Velasco, Troy Lazaro and the Rockstars. Tickets: $10 in advance, $12 at the gate. Children 12 and under are free. Call 639-9033.

NAWILIWILI LIGHTHOUSE COASTAL WALK — Hike from Kalapaki Beach to Nawiliwili Lighthouse then along the coast to Hanama’ulu Bay with shuttle to return. Sierra Club outing open to the public. Moderate 3 miles round trip. Bob Greene and Ken Fasig 346-1229.

25 JANUARY 2012

WAIMEA CANYON ROAD CLEAN UP — The public is invited to help keep the gateway to Waimea Canyon litter free. Afternoon clean up of Sierra Club’s adopted highway (2 miles) requires a little over an hour. Bob Greene 245-9280.

27 JANUARY 2012

CHILDREN OF THE LAND — 6:30 p.m., Children of the Land, Kapa‘a, Safeway shopping center. Free poke bento dinner and movie.

:cheer: :cheer: 28 JANUARY 2012 :cheer: :cheer:

STORIES FROM THE HEART WITH KUMU VERN KAUANUI — 2 to 4 p.m., Kapa`a Library. Wailua-Kapa‘a Neighborhood Association hosts Kumu Kauanui reminiscing about Kapa‘a’s history since the 1940’s and the transitions from plantation life. He will also talk about his vision for the future of Coco Palms.Free. Contact Sid Jackson at 821-2837. Anyone who has had the pleaseure of meeting Vern and seeing him perform at ALL events, knows this is a must see! He is just plain full of a good time...will be very LOCAL, as Vern is highly respected.