• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ka'anapali Beach Club versus Marriott Maui Ocean Club

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
I was wondering if anyone had any advice or opinions for me. We have a Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond) ocean front unit, and I have a Marriott Maui Ocean Club ocean view in the original (Molokai/Maui/Lanai) tower, one bedroom two bath.

My options are to stay in the Marriott, or, cancel it and try for ocean front in the newer towers (Lahaina/Napili), or even ocean front in the original. I'm using DC points. I have a guaranteed ocean front at KBC. We are traveling mid-May. Your thoughts are appreciated!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I cannot speak to the differences in views but MOC (old and new) is clearly a 4 - 4.5 star resort and KBC is 3.5. MOC is also much closer to the action.

IMO I would rather have an OV MOC vs. any oceanfront at KBC. But your preferences may be different than mine i.e. better view at less desirable resort? or less view but nicer unit, resort grounds and amenities.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto to the above response from CalGal.

But another kicker for me is whether or not you are using the sofabed during your stay. The foam sofabed in the MOC units are sleepable for adults -- can't say the same for any other sofabeds I've slept on elsewhere. Even Hyatt High Sierra has them now - same brand.

-ryan

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I cannot speak to the differences in views but MOC (old and new) is clearly a 4 - 4.5 star resort and KBC is 3.5. MOC is also much closer to the action.

IMO I would rather have an OV MOC vs. any oceanfront at KBC. But your preferences may be different than mine i.e. better view at less desirable resort? or less view but nicer unit, resort grounds and amenities.

+1

The beach in front of MOC is also better. Although the depth of the beach comes and goes (see various threads on this), the beach in front of KBC has essentially gone.

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
Exactly what my husband was discussing. My issue is, I really want ocean front-- barring that, I'd like ocean view in the newer towers. But I can't check availability because the reservation I currently have is eating up most of my points. If I cancel what I have, then I'm taking a risk that I would get that.

I'm also not sure how the waitlist works. I do know I can't do a waitlist now as again, I've used up my points. If I cancel, I'm in the same boat of not knowing if ANYTHING will come through.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
+1

The beach in front of MOC is also better. Although the depth of the beach comes and goes (see various threads on this), the beach in front of KBC has essentially gone.

I heard a few days ago the beach is mostly back now? Someone told me it's seasonal, but I though it might be erosion, not sure which it is.