• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just won an Ebay auction for Ocean Pointe! Help!

chkvtzn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just won and I am concerned about how to proceed.

What's happens if Marriott exercises ROFR? Will this cost me anything?

What closing/title company should I use?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks

altiste1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge
Marriott Phuket Beach Club
Wyndham Bali Hai
Who was the eBay seller? If it was one of the larger resellers (tochoa, timeshareconsultants, etc.) then they will have their own captive or preferred closing department and you won't have any choice over the closing company. They are generally efficient and competent, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you bought from a private party and the closing company isn't set, LT Transfers is a great, low-cost option. https://www.lttransfers.com/ But do you want title insurance? You're probably paying a fair amount for this week, so you might want to have that protection. Others can opine but I don't believe you can get title insurance through LT Transfers. You might need to go through a title company. Fidelity and First American have timeshare programs.

If Marriott exercises ROFR it will cost you nothing other than your time and effort in putting together the purchase agreement.

Make sure you have the seller request two estoppels from Marriott: a usage estoppel (tells you what unit, season, etc. the week can book) and a financial estoppel (tells you how much the maintenance fee is, how often paid, and whether it's current). You want Marriott to tell you what you're buying, and not just trust the seller.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Search the name of your seller on Tug to see what others say about your seller
There are reliable sellers and there are what are apparently crooks

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I hope it's not travel4you5 - they are scammers.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It it's This Listing I think you should have significant concern.

Why would anyone cap the auction at that price? Highly unlikely that would pass ROFR. Seems VERY low for a Platinum week. (Just a side, I know very little about eBay).

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Why would anyone cap the auction at that price? Highly unlikely that would pass ROFR. Seems VERY low for a Platinum week. (Just a side, I know very little about eBay).

There is no timeshare, this is a 100% scam. They will not allow using any outside closing company, they will demand 100% upfront payment, then they will delay for many months saying it's in process / submitted for ROFR / etc, until all chargeback and negative feedback deadlines pass, and then you will be out the money with no timeshare and no recourse.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no timeshare, this is a 100% scam. They will not allow using any outside closing company, they will demand 100% upfront payment, then they will delay for many months saying it's in process / submitted for ROFR / etc, until all chargeback and negative feedback deadlines pass, and then you will be out the money with no timeshare and no recourse.

Got it. Thanks.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Interesting to see 99.8% positive feedback for this seller on eBay

eBay feedback is easily manipulated. All of their positive feedback (except one) is for buying and selling low priced items like baseball cards.

One positive timeshare feedback "Disney Animal Kingdom Villas Resort 200 Points Annual Orlando Florida Timeshare (354494279069) - we paid in full mid Jan22 and hoping it passes Disney ROFR and deed records quickly, today is 2/10/2023" - I feel sorry for that buyer who got scammed, but not realized it yet and left a positive feedback.

If someone realizes being scammed and leaves a negative feedback, they immediately file a non-paying bidder dispute, and eBay removes the negative feedback right away.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Most of that feedback has nothing to do with Timeshare transactions. Take a look at all the other stuff they buy and sell, and that is where they get their feedback.

PPAES

Reaction score
eBay feedback is easily manipulated. All of their positive feedback (except one) is for buying and selling low priced items like baseball cards.

One positive timeshare feedback "Disney Animal Kingdom Villas Resort 200 Points Annual Orlando Florida Timeshare (354494279069) - we paid in full mid Jan22 and hoping it passes Disney ROFR and deed records quickly, today is 2/10/2023" - I feel sorry for that buyer who got scammed, but not realized it yet and left a positive feedback.

If someone realizes being scammed and leaves a negative feedback, they immediately file a non-paying bidder dispute, and eBay removes the negative feedback right away.
Excellent point. Based on the seller’s name, I thought the primary business was TSs resale market. After reading the feedback, you are absolutely right.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That is because of Ebay's useless feedback rating system when it comes to real estate transactions. By the time the buyer realizes the scam, it is too late to provide feedback.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Most of that feedback has nothing to do with Timeshare transactions. Take a look at all the other stuff they buy and sell, and that is where they get their feedback.

I wonder if they don't somehow go out and buy stolen/compromised Ebay accounts on the black market (dark web).

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have reported this scam seller to eBay multiple times- and they do absolutely nothing about it.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have reported this scam seller to eBay multiple times- and they do absolutely nothing about it.

chkvtzn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies and advice. Yes... I did 'win' from travel4you5. Looks like I won't be owning this TS. FYI... I bid higher than my winning price of $4050, but the next highest bid was $4000, so Ebay only betters my price by $50 over.

I only "won" yesterday afternoon. What do I do now? Ignore and allow my rating to be affected. They did list the maintenance fees too low.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Thank you everyone for your replies and advice. Yes... I did 'win' from travel4you5. Looks like I won't be owning this TS. FYI... I bid higher than my winning price of $4050, but the next highest bid was $4000, so Ebay only betters my price by $50 over.

I only "won" yesterday afternoon. What do I do now? Ignore and allow my rating to be affected. They did list the maintenance fees too low.
Even if you get dinged for non payment...does anyone pay attention to ebay ratings anymore? Not trying to minimize your concern...sincerely asking. Are you an active ebay seller? I believe a call into ebay for this specific transaction and reporting your concerns over this fraudulent seller would get you in the clear.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch

chkvtzn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow... what a coincidence that they want to use a title Co located in their home town in TN (sarcasm). The seller claims they're the best one around and they won't use anyone else.

chkvtzn

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is their response to me:

Hi,
National resort title will be handling the transfer for this property. They will hold escrow until transfer is complete and we have used them for years now. I will be happy to send you copy of estoppel letter but it will be with all the owners information blackened out. We will not use any other title company and NRT is the fastest one out there today. So let me know if you want me to send you the estoppel letter so you can fill out your contract and send it back today. Or if you want to just cancel this purchase.
Thanks
Josh

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Real estate auctions on ebay are not binding. Just tell the seller you are cancelling.

As an aside: It is likely that the bidding ended so low because many prospective bidders sniffed out the scam before bidding---and someone doing due diligence by checking how the feedback was earned would spot the pattern quickly.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would ask for the estoppel letter personally just to see what it is they send you!

I asked them to provide me one once and they refused.

File a complaint with eBay! I have done it several times to no avail but maybe if they keep getting them on this seller they will be forced to put an end to this nonsense.