• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

just signed today (6/27/17) @ HGVC Palisades Carlsbad

ggyy2k2

Reaction score
Hello all and great to be here (as a newbie).

just gathering some opinions from near, far, and experienced. my wife and i contemplated for a while and finally bit the bullet and signed our first born (j/k)... first timeshare. i thought we got a decent deal (with exception to the interest rate - which i'm shopping for)... not a steal or anything. but i wanted to see if any of you can give feedbacks and any recommendations as a new owner.

i've attached a copy of our proposal for your reference.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 286

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I would Rescind immediately and buy resale. 3400 points you can find for practically nothing, I did

Follow directions and send certified mail, you only have a short period of time. Do not call the salesman to cancel.

ggyy2k2

Reaction score
I would Rescind immediately and buy resale. 3400 points you can find for practically nothing, I did

Follow directions and send certified mail, you only have a short period of time. Do not call the salesman to cancel.

Hi Panina,

thank you for your response. however, where would i find 3400 points for much less? also, can i take that same 3400 (or more) to any where Hilton Grand Vacation Resort or just the home resort where the contract was signed? apologies for being very new at this and not sure what else to look for.

Reaction score
$13,055 and 11.5% interest for 3,400 even year points is mega expensive

I would cancel and search the resale market.

You can buy 5,000 points for las vegas or orlando for under $5,000

ggyy2k2

Reaction score
$13,055 and 11.5% interest for 3,400 even year points is mega expensive

I would cancel and search the resale market.

You can buy 5,000 points for las vegas or orlando for under $5,000

Thank you "DazedandConfused" for chiming in.

i understand 11.5% is definitely a huge ripoff and i'm shopping for better rates, if not even thought of paying in one shot so not incurring unnecessary interest costs. so even if not paying interest, i guess i did a bad job on this "deal"?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Panina,

thank you for your response. however, where would i find 3400 points for much less? also, can i take that same 3400 (or more) to any where Hilton Grand Vacation Resort or just the home resort where the contract was signed? apologies for being very new at this and not sure what else to look for.
I found 3400 points here on tug for almost free, just paid closing costs. I also purchased an float affiliate week at Eagles nest in the mid 3000's that can give me 5000-7000 points. You can also find good deals on eBay. Yes you can trade the points to other Hgvc.

There is a lot of info here on tug. I suggest you rescind and learn and understand the system before buying.

ggyy2k2

Reaction score
I found 3400 points here on tug for almost free, just paid closing costs. I also purchased an float affiliate week at Eagles nest in the mid 3000's that can give me 5000-7000 points. You can also find good deals on eBay. Yes you can trade the points to other Hgvc.

There is a lot of info here on tug. I suggest you rescind and learn and understand the system before buying.

Thank you Panina for your insight. lessons learned for me, of course... in getting too caught up with potential vacation and not understanding the game well enough. i shall keep doing my research and definitely rescind (looks like i have 7 calendar days after signing)

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you Panina for your insight. lessons learned for me, of course... in getting too caught up with potential vacation and not understanding the game well enough. i shall keep doing my research and definitely rescind (looks like i have 7 calendar days after signing)
Follow the instructions exactly and send certified mail.

Glad you found out in time and did not have an expensive lesson.

Welcome to TUG.

vegasVIP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Vegas HHonors Diamond

Great decision to rescind. I did my homework here and ended up purchasing 7k annually off of E-Bay for less than you were going to pay for 3400. Good luck on your search and Welcome to TUGBB!!!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on fnding us in time to rescind and save 13 grand!!!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
With Hilton, resale buyers get all the same rights & benefits as direct-retail buyers, except only having their points count toward "elite" status that starts at 14K points and isn't worth the exorbitant retail price anyway. In this way, HGVC treats its resale buyers better than other systems.

So, yes, RESCIND. Follow the instructions in your contract to the letter, even if you think there's a better way. Then go to the marketplace here, redweek.com, closed ebay auctions, and listings by these respected HGVC brokers:

Judi Kozlowski and staff at www.judikoz.com
Seth Nock and staff atwww.sellingtimeshares.net

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Grand Pacific Palisades is a great place for kids. However, rescind quickly. A free 3400 HGVC EOY (Parc Soleil) just posted to the bargain deals forum if that is what you want.

Wouldn't hurt to check the GPP resale department. I purchased my GPP with 8400 points from them in 2012 and the cost was less than your 3400 points. There may have been changes to the resale department Since I purchased but again, doesn't hurt to inquire.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on what you want, there are 2 free contracts in the bargain basement here right now. One is for Grand Pacific Palisades (no Hilton). Another is for 3400 Hilton Grand Vacation Points in a location in Florida. You can use those points for any other location. Most people never use their points at their home resort.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Congratulations @ggyy2k2. You have already been given very good advice. I will add, take your time. There is certainly no rush. Learn about HGVC and determine if it is right for you and your family. Ask questions. There will always be resales.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Congratulations @ggyy2k2. You have already been given very good advice. I will add, take your time. There is certainly no rush. Learn about HGVC and determine if it is right for you and your family. Ask questions. There will always be resales.
If you know you want Pacific Palisades, you can put in an ongoing search for new listings on TUG for that resort. If you're not sure where you want your home resort to be, I suggest you consider renting at 2-3 different locations until you and your family find something that really works for you. The nice thing about the Hilton system is that it's pretty easy to use your points to trade within the system to visit the many other Hilton resorts. As GT has advised, take your time. Despite what the sales weasels may have told you at Pacific Palisades, there is a higher supply of timeshare weeks than there is demand, meaning you can find bargains year-round.

PezLori

Reaction score
I think I just read that in the GPR family (Grand Pacific Palisades, Marbrisa and Seapointe), HGVC club membership is no longer transferable on resale? I'm not an expert, but to me that would mean that if you truly want to own in that area, and you want to buy resale, you need to be ok with not being in HGVC. I would think buying a different HGVC property through resale and using the corresponding points for the Carlsbad area would be a better way to go so that you have the flexibility of traveling to other places and the benefits of being in HGVC. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I just read that in the GPR family (Grand Pacific Palisades, Marbrisa and Seapointe), HGVC club membership is no longer transferable on resale? I'm not an expert, but to me that would mean that if you truly want to own in that area, and you want to buy resale, you need to be ok with not being in HGVC. I would think buying a different HGVC property through resale and using the corresponding points for the Carlsbad area would be a better way to go so that you have the flexibility of traveling to other places and the benefits of being in HGVC. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
This became an issue last year. For several years before that, they said they wouldn't transfer HGVC membership, but did transfer it. AFAIK, last year they finally dropped the hammer and stopped that.

I think you can still buy a resale from the resort and have HGVC membership with it. My Marbrisa was purchased from the developer and has a HGVC account, not an affiliate account. So, HGVC does transfer with it. My other resorts (which I am whittling away) had HGVC added to them after I was already an owner. They will not transfer the HGVC with that anymore, but did until last year.

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
I don't think you should buy any timeshare either from developer or secondary market if you need to finance it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I don't think you should buy any timeshare either from developer or secondary market if you need to finance it.

I agree with this. You could buy something that you would go to most years, has great trading power, and is nearly free, just to start. Then later, you could always buy HGVC via resale, but only if you can pay cash. There are lots of timeshares that are in highly desirable areas that are nearly free. Ebay is a great place to check.