• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Returned From Mazatlan...

gidat1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heloo
Just returned from 11 days at El Cid El Morrow towers and Marina in Mazatlan.
If you have any questions, I will try to answer them. Thanks to Tom Cook for all the help.
Phil
PS seen one person in the lo0bby with Notebook computer with Majic Jack and the regular phone , they were calling US absolutely free of charge.

mesaman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question

We are leaving on 1/10 for two weeks at the El Cid Marina. This is our first trip south of the border. Just the two of us and we are retired. Any tips or advice for staying at the marina?

gidat1

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents worth..

If you are looking for a view of the Ocean try and get the room on Bldg A # 606. Call them couple of days before you go there and request the room, 606, 605 or 604. Mind you , you will have to walk a little from the enterance to your unit.
Try and rent a car for few days( Stay away from the Alamo, I had terrible exp with them). There are some side trips only an hour or so away from MZT, worth going to. On the way try and find little Mexican restaurants. We had the best Bar-B-Q chicken there. Our Family of four eat there for less than 100 pessos. Change your money at banks only bring your passport with you otherwise they would not do it.

Take a free shuttle to EL Morrow towers and walk a little ,lots of places to eat drink and shop.

Try and go to Downtown ( Centro) Very beautiful cathedral there, lots of history in this town. Walk around the Plaza and the Machado(?) area. There is very good Market also few blocks away. Bargain most of the time. If you like Mexican food like tacos . They are different than Taco Bell here. Go to place call Taco Luna. They sell Tacos for 11 Pessos , 2 or three will feed you. Try their staple drink called Toni-Cal. It is coke with Vanila in it. Right next is Panama rest and Bakery. They are reasonable and excellent.

Mexican people we encountered are very friendly and warm. They are very honest. Couple of times I gave extra money by mistake, but they returned them. When you changed money get 10,20, and 50 pessos. Everyone there survives on the tips ( Maid works all day for 70 pessos) Tip generouly if you can afford it.

We stayed away from American style restaurants as we wanted to experience the true culture. Look for a place call La Coasta Marinara. They have a decent food with singing waiter. We did the tour with El cid, if you like going through torture take it. When they pick you up at the airport they will sign you up for it. One spouse to keep refusing, they will up the gifts....

Can write a lot, if you need to talk write me a private message.

Please bring a wind breaker or such, it might get cold at night.
Good Luck
Phil

mesaman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

Phil, thanks for the good info. I printed you reply. Don't plan to do any T/S presentations. My wife hates those things and right now we are quite disgusted with out T/S Co. Wyndham/Fairfield!...but that's another topic!

How about using cell phones and lap tops? I read one review that said internet service at the Marina was very poor?

Steve

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are leaving on 1/10 for two weeks at the El Cid Marina. This is our first trip south of the border. Just the two of us and we are retired. Any tips or advice for staying at the marina?

Maz is one of my favorite getaways. Though we haven't stayed at any of the El Cids, we've wandered through them. The OP's room request suggestion sounds reasonable.

The city buses go by on the street outside the resort about every 3 minutes. Ask at the desk about rates, but it's about 7 pesos for the deluxe air conditioned ones and about 4 for the older ones but my numbers are probably off a little. Take 'Centro' downtown and Sabalo back.

The bus can drop you at Wal-Mart or the other grocery store, then taxi back with your stuff. They are outside the stores. It's very reasonable.

You may want to take the Copala and/or Concordia tours. There is also an outing to a nearby tequila distillery if that is your thing. We still have the bottle of reposado we brought home. They are an enjoyable way to spend a day, and you don't need to drive- in fact, I'd not rent a car unless you are very comfortable with unimproved roads and not-the-best signage. Absolutely do not drive at night!

The aquarium is worth a visit. For more information than you can ever use all of, go to www.maztravel.com/ it is constantly updated and run by an ex-pat American couple.

Have a great trip. We will be there about 2/10.

Jim Ricks

mesaman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You

Thanks Jim,

I will check out the Maztravel site.

Steve

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mazatlan

You may also want to try www.tripadvisor.com When we were there this past year we found a lot of good restaurants in the Golden Zone close to the Emporio Hotel. Also if you want an interesting experience to to a place called Playa Bruja
or the witch's beach. Great restaurant there.

Deer Path

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually stay at the El Cid Marina now and really like it. Nice that we can take a shuttle to the El Moro Towers anytime we want also. We fish and love to watch them bring in the catch each day. There is even a nice boat shuttle to go across the harbor to a more private beach than is at the Towers.

There was a new large grocery store last March when we were there. You go inside and take your cart up an esculator to shop. Can't remember the name of it. The other one is Gigantia that we have usually shopped at. Just get a pmononia taxi ourside the lobby and he will know where to take you. They even are willing to wait for you if you want.

We did the Tequilla tour booked at the Marina last year and it was so interesting we would recommend it. We had a day that it was too windy and chilly for the pool so tried it. It was worth it. We have also done the Copula and the City Tour. We just take a taxi to the market now and buy the most wonderful shrimp to fix in our room. Last year I took my own seafood sauce to use with it as I could not find the kind I wanted.

We will be there for 2 weeks in March again this year and looking forward to it. My DH will take our son and 2 grandsons up to Lake El Salto to go bass fishing too. Last year he and a friend caught over 100 bass in a day. It is catch and release but fun. He loved it.

thoscook1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marina El Cid Internet

How about using cell phones and lap tops? I read one review that said internet service at the Marina was very poor?

I always used their internet service for my laptop -300 pesos per week. I did not have any problems and seemed ok to me maybe a little slower that home but ok. They have an area in the lobby for internet usage but not sure if it is free or not.