• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

just returned from HHI for pres' week

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Just returned from HHI for pres' week, and altho the weather was off & on , it was still great. We had two adjacent units at Barony...5th floor overlooking the ocean. The off-season weeks there are wonderful, and we hit most of our favorite dining spots, like Santa Fe (awesome), Crazy Crab at Harbour Town, Marley's Island Grille, Wild Wing Cafe, and Mellow Mushroom. The rest were pizza or whatever. We mostly went where the girls wanted to go. My "sweet 16" daughter took 3 girlfriends, and my wife and I had the other unit. It was great break! The girls spent one morning having "French" manicures, and they loved it!!!! They thought that was just too cool! (That was my little surprise treat, and it went over very well. They'll never forget that little surprise! ) Couldn't believe it, but there were lots of folks walking the beach each day in very cool, breezy weather, and some actually out playing in the waves...as in body-surfing (without wetsuits). Mainly it was DVD-watching , shopping, sleeping in, and Olympics on TV for us! Can't wait for next year, altho we'll be back at Grande Ocean in April and again in June for 3 consecutive weeks. I'm already having seafood withdrawal pains. The girls probably ate the whole island's supply of crab legs, and we put a huge dent in Marley's Australian rock lobster tails and seafood bisque supply, but.....memories were made! The girls had a blast and stayed up half the nights giggling and watching movies. Don't know HOW they'll respond to school tomorrow morning! Anyway, hope everyone's pres' week was great, too. It comes at a very good time! best, jme :)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marty, any news on restaurant closings. I'd heard that Captain's seafood was closing and moving to a different spot. And that Fitzgerald's and Haufbrauhouse (?sp) had both closed. Anything back on those locations to your knowledge.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hi Dean

don't know about Captain's, but when we were there, I didn't actually SEE it while riding by, so I was either in my "not-paying-attention" mode, or either it was there, OR it wasn't there. Just don't know. Seems like I wudda seen it, tho. As for Fitzgerald's, sadly it has closed. We've been going there for many, many years, and have wonderful memories. I could probably name off the items on the menu...it may have had the best and most varied menu on the island, and we'll truly miss it. Even a friend of my 16-y.o. daughter (who usually goes with us) said that she was devastated! (She always got their crablegs or prime rib! ) They are two little girls who have grown up together dining at Fitzgerald's! I can remember when they were very little. And, as for Hofbrauhaus, I only went there once, but I think they have already closed. Being the off-season right now, any place thinking about closing would have already done so. There have been so many nice new restaurants opening up in the last two or three years that I'm not surprised that many older ones have bitten the dust....plus owners do get older, and simply cannot keep up the pace, as the "old returning customers" have also changed. It's both a good thing and a bad thing. We love some of the new places, but are sad about the old places going under...('scuse the island pun). Good to hear from you....Marty :cool:

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read recently that Truffles is opening a 3rd restaurant in the area and if I recall correctly it is going to be located in one of the recently closed restaurants but I don't remember which. Sorry!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
jme said:
don't know about Captain's, but when we were there, I didn't actually SEE it while riding by, so I was either in my "not-paying-attention" mode, or either it was there, OR it wasn't there. Just don't know. Seems like I wudda seen it, tho. As for Fitzgerald's, sadly it has closed. We've been going there for many, many years, and have wonderful memories. I could probably name off the items on the menu...it may have had the best and most varied menu on the island, and we'll truly miss it. Even a friend of my 16-y.o. daughter (who usually goes with us) said that she was devastated! (She always got their crablegs or prime rib! ) They are two little girls who have grown up together dining at Fitzgerald's! I can remember when they were very little. And, as for Hofbrauhaus, I only went there once, but I think they have already closed. Being the off-season right now, any place thinking about closing would have already done so. There have been so many nice new restaurants opening up in the last two or three years that I'm not surprised that many older ones have bitten the dust....plus owners do get older, and simply cannot keep up the pace, as the "old returning customers" have also changed. It's both a good thing and a bad thing. We love some of the new places, but are sad about the old places going under...('scuse the island pun). Good to hear from you....Marty :cool:
Thanks Marty, will be there this summer at Surfwatch.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marty
Never heard of Mellow Mushroom. and we have never eaten at Marleys Where is MM located and what is it like? We like to try a few new ones on each visit.

Thanks!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
answer

Both places, Mellow Mushroom and Marley's Island Grille, are located two blocks off the FIRST traffic circle (the circle where Marriott Welcome Center is located) ....if you approach the circle via Hwy 278 (going the "old route" by Port Royal, then Shelter Cove, then Shipyard, etc.) you would go straight thru the circle , i.e., the second turn after entering the circle....taking Greenwood Drive (which is the back entrance into Sea Pines) ...and you will see the huge shopping plaza and grocery store on your left----they're in there...Marley's is first as a freestanding building, and MM is within the complex/row of stores farther down to the left. Easy to find. (The Sea Pines gate is a couple of blocks farther along Greenwood Drive, after the turn into the complex.) MM has good pizzas and calzones, etc. (In my humble opinion, tho, the best pizza is found at Giuseppe's behind Fuddrucker's on Hwy 278(and adjacent to T.J.Maxx store) -----down hwy 278 from the Shelter Cove Mall area. (The other Giuseppe's in Sea Pines, near Truffles, is not owned by the same people and not related at all, and is not as good !!!) The BEST Giuseppe's on hwy 278 is rated by the national restaurant magazine as one of the top 100 independently-owned Italian restaurants in the U.S. ****Second route: If you come into the first traffic circle via the Cross-Island Parkway, then you would take the first right at the circle. (Pope Ave. is the last circle turn , which heads down toward Coligny Plaza, Waterside Resort, Holiday Inn, and Grande Ocean, etc. ----that's one turn past where you want for MM & Marley's.) Now you know, if I wasn't too confusing. jme :)

Last edited:

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marty
Familiar with the sometimes confusing and sometimes dangerous rotary and Pope area. We normally use the Cross Island pkwy. I know where Marleys is but am glad to know about Mellow Mushroom. So many places to eat it's amazing and wonderful.

I have tried Shelter Cove Giuseppes pizza twice and did not like it at all even though many many Tuggers recommended them. Maybe we should try something else they make.

Last trip we finally tried Redfish for lunch which I loved! Cafe Wexford,British Pub,Delvecchios and Prescotts for dinner.

Going back end of September and staying again at Barony. Last trip was GO. Counting the days..........

Sunny4me

TUG Member
Reaction score
pcgirl54 said:
Marty

I have tried Shelter Cove Giuseppes pizza twice and did not like it at all even though many many Tuggers recommended them. Maybe we should try something else they make.

I just love their chicken parmesan sandwich....nice salads too! If you have only tried the pizza, definitely give them another try and order something else! (or you could try asking for their pizza 'well done'. I have found that sometimes they don't seem to cook it long enough).

Have a great trip!

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Marty,
Tell us more about Barony. Is the construction or refurbishments noticable? Anything closed ? (hot-tubs, pools, excercise etc), due to any maintenance?.
We're going to be there April 1st for a week and I'm bringing my brother as a guest, so we're hoping that everthing is up and running. It'll be our first time as well. We're also hoping for warm weather.
Mike

Becky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Polynesian, DVC AKL Jambo House, Foxrun, Fairways of the Mountains, Blue Ridge Village, Treetops, Gatlinburg Town Square, and Waterside.
Captain's Seafood closed suddenly last Fall when the rent was raised. I called and visited the new location over President's Day Weekend while we were staying at Grande Ocean. The new location is at Coligny Circle across from Coligny Plaza. The new menu was on the window and the signs were already there. It was to open around the last week of February. There was also an ad in the Island Packet about the new location. There will not be a seafood market at the new location. Open for lunch and dinner.

Becky

JACKC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mellow Mushroom?

Wonder if the HHI Mellow Mushroom has any connection to the cafe by the same name in downtown Ashville, NC. We had lunch at the Ashville version and it took us down memory lane to our carefree hippy days of the 70's. Dunno whether it was the cafe or downtown Ashville that reminded us of that bygone era.

We'll be in HHI the week of March 11 where we'll be staying at the Monarch. Will definitely pay them a visit. (Must remember to pack my Birkenstocks just in case. ;) )

Jack

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
nothing noticeable

suenmike32 said:
Marty,
Tell us more about Barony. Is the construction or refurbishments noticable? Anything closed ? (hot-tubs, pools, excercise etc), due to any maintenance?.
We're going to be there April 1st for a week and I'm bringing my brother as a guest, so we're hoping that everthing is up and running. It'll be our first time as well. We're also hoping for warm weather.
Mike

I saw absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, except the abscence of lights on in many of the opposite side units at night....and i assumed from that that they were being worked on during the day. i understand that only the "soft goods" are being changed, meaning furniture recovering or replacement, drape replacement, carpet, bed stuff, etc. (This is only a guess, but that's what they typically do) . There was no "construction" noise or activity at all heard or seen in any of the units. It seemed like business as usual. They ARE working outside on the little gazebo-type grille area near the beach side of the pool, making it better, so some board sawing and re-roofing was taking place, but it was minimally noticeable. They appear to be near the end with that project, or at least way past halfway. We had a top floor ocean view ...one balcony away from the oceanfront units, so we could see all. You have no worries, and you should enjoy a great time....PLUS the weather, as you know, has been atypically mild, with this weekend's temps projected to be in the high 70's and sunny, so you may just get that great spring weather that we dream about. April can be quite iffy, but it's looking good! Have a great time. jme :)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Mellow Mushroom

JACKC said:
Wonder if the HHI Mellow Mushroom has any connection to the cafe by the same name in downtown Ashville, NC. We had lunch at the Ashville version and it took us down memory lane to our carefree hippy days of the 70's. Dunno whether it was the cafe or downtown Ashville that reminded us of that bygone era.

We'll be in HHI the week of March 11 where we'll be staying at the Monarch. Will definitely pay them a visit. (Must remember to pack my Birkenstocks just in case. ;) )

Jack

We have run into the Mellow Mushroom brand name several times in several towns, so I assume that they are one and the same chain. They do have a very relaxed and beyond-casual atmosphere and great food, so it's always a fun place to go. I mentioned earlier in another post somewhere that I liked Giuseppe's pizzas better, and that's true, BUT Mellow Mushroom's pizzas are still very, very good. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I'm just clearing up something I thought about "after the fact" of writing that post. My wife and kids love MM, and also love Giuseppe's. They're just different, but perhaps equally good. To me, Giuseppe's pizza is tops! Absolutely the freshest and best toppings I've ever seen. And they also have many more items on the menu....the Chicken Alfredo is out of this world. Also love the Eggplant Parmesan. The place is ALWAYS packed, so that always tells you something, and the service is great. And the cokes (& other drinks) come in huge glasses---something I like!!!! jme

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
JME
Thanks for the input. Which building were you folks in? I assume it was high-season for owners, was the resort crowded? Did you typically ask for the location you got, or just assigned there when you checked in. I'm not an owner at Barony, I traded one of my units at OP, so, I may very well be assigned up in the garden units, your thoughts?
Mike

toni3063

TUG Member
Reaction score
jme said:
I saw absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, except the abscence of lights on in many of the opposite side units at night....and i assumed from that that they were being worked on during the day. jme :)

Marty,
Did you notice if the indoor pool was open. I received a letter from Barony in January, it said they would be resurfacing some of the pools and hot tubs between January and late spring. I spoke with the manager of Barony and he indicated that the indoor pool would be closed while we will be there, March 18-25. I don't understand why they don't work on the indoor pool when the weather is more conducive to being on the beach and in the non-heated pools. I would think that the indoor pool would be more of an attraction in the colder rather than warmer weather.
Thanks,
Toni

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
opinion

toni3063 said:
Marty,
Did you notice if the indoor pool was open. I received a letter from Barony in January, it said they would be resurfacing some of the pools and hot tubs between January and late spring. I spoke with the manager of Barony and he indicated that the indoor pool would be closed while we will be there, March 18-25. I don't understand why they don't work on the indoor pool when the weather is more conducive to being on the beach and in the non-heated pools. I would think that the indoor pool would be more of an attraction in the colder rather than warmer weather.
Thanks,
Toni

The indoor pool WAS open. My personal opinion about why they don't schedule stuff during beach-friendly times is because that's when most owners are there (owners seldom deposit summer weeks or even "sport season" weeks), and also the off-season weeks happen to be when most traders and non-owners are there, and so I think (& it's just a hunch) that it's because of the attempt to cater to the owners. Does that sound reasonable? I do happen to agree that a cold week would be exactly when folks would WANT to use the indoor pool, so they had a tough choice. They have to do it sometime.....I think MAYBE they just pick a time that the owners' occupancy percentage is smaller. who knows? I'm just very gald they are constantly improving everything, and that is one reason i love Marriotts----the refurbishments ARE done well and at an appropriate time in the life cycle of a unit, and they do also do additional improvements to the properties as a result of owners' input and suggestions......like outdoor grilles/sandwich bars & similar areas. jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
response

suenmike32 said:
JME
Thanks for the input. Which building were you folks in? I assume it was high-season for owners, was the resort crowded? Did you typically ask for the location you got, or just assigned there when you checked in. I'm not an owner at Barony, I traded one of my units at OP, so, I may very well be assigned up in the garden units, your thoughts?
Mike

I always judge the crowdedness by the number of open parking spaces below in the parking garage "after 10 pm", which is about when folks are coming back for the evening. There were NO parking spaces except for one, which we took, so I assume the units were full. As for judging whether the resort was full by any other means----it's absolutely impossible to tell, and always has been. Marriott resorts anywhere are generally very quiet, and I never seem to even see other guests even on the elevators or outside the units. (Only exception: in the summer, & then they're at the pools---that's where you see the crowds.) At first you think you may be the only one there, but then the garage fills up, and you realize that it IS full, but you never SEE anyone. It's sorta spooky. I guess a Holiday Inn it's NOT. I've noticed the same trend at Newport Coast Villas, Williamsburg's Manor Club, Ocean Pointe, Summit Watch, Mountainside, Grande Vista, Harbour Pointe, Grande Ocean & Barony (our home resorts), and others. It's always the same.....few people seen or heard, but vehicles galore. Kaua'i Beach Club seemed a bit more "busy" with guests roaming about, but I guess it's so beautiful there that people are naturally out & about ALL the time. We were, too. Maybe that's a destination where no one stays in. Even at the Marriott Hotels where we've been, we never see people in the halls, etc....always quiet. That's included London's County Hall, London's Grosvenor Square, Frenchman's Reef, Washington DC's JW Marriott, and many others. I always ask my wife "Is anyone else HERE?" But I know they are. jme

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
jme,
Which building did you stay in? If you were going again tomorrow...would you stay in the same one? or opt for a different/
Thanks,
Mike

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
On $40 a Day (food network show) Signe's Heavenbound Bakery is menitoned. Has anyone ever been there and what did you think?

Thank you,
Suzzanne

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I went to Signe's because of that program. It was ok I wasn't overly impressed but others like it. It's a small place with some outdoor seating.

Compared to desserts I am used to both Signes and French bakery in the North end of the island were disappointing. I'd love to find a great bakery.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
that show

pcgirl54 said:
I went to Signe's because of that program. It was ok I wasn't overly impressed but others like it. It's a small place with some outdoor seating.

Compared to desserts I am used to both Signes and French bakery in the North end of the island were disappointing. I'd love to find a great bakery.

She (the TV host) definitely does NOT do her homework......I think she must stop at a gas station just out of town and asks someone there! If these are the places she says are THE BEST, she's slightly confused and misguided. I don't get it.
They also highlighted Hudson's Seafood Restaurant on that show, and Hudson's, to me, is (1) way out of the way, (2) mediocre (at best) and has inconsistent food and service, and (3) an old place that changed ownership many times, but remains mired in it's old (false) reputation of being THE place for seafood....when there were only maybe two places, 2 decades ago, it WAS, but now it's not worth the gas to drive there. Last time we ate there, with friends, 3 of the 4 adults had to return the entire entrees because the food was inedible. One person got sick. There are simply too many wonderful places other than Hudson's. DON'T go there. I've never been to Signe's, but I did see the show, and on the show it appeared great, BUT with all those cameras, do you expect them to serve a lousy meal? Of course not. I've NEVER once heard that place recommended , either from a local or a concierge, or a "front desk person", so take that for what it's worth. In ALL my years going, NEVER once heard of it...and I wouldn't exactly say that's good. It may be OK, but I trust recommendations that are repeated many times. The breakfast place called Skillets is still the best for a basic breakfast...in Coligny Plaza. Owned by an older couple , and they have a huge following from locals and also tourists. The VERY, VERY best breakfast (or really brunch) in my opinion, is still at Cafe Europa.....the location on the water is unsurpassed, and it indeed feels like a little European cafe, and the food is outstanding! A great menu. Lots of different types of omelettes (I love the Californian and the Neptune) and other specialty dishes. And, great Belgian waffles! Cafe Europa is undoubtedly THE very best restaurant on the island as far as having all three GREAT meals----breakfast, lunch, and dinner. At lunch, the menu is fantastic, and at dinner, the place suddenly changes into an elegant waterfront romantic cafe, and looks totally different----low lights with candles, and awesome menu again, and a wonderful, quiet ambiance. It's the best "all-round" restaurant on the island. As a fine-dining restaurant, it can hang with all the rest...Charlie's L'Etoile Verte, Santa Fe, Cafe at Wexford, Sunset Grill, Catch 22, RedFish, Bonefish, etc., etc. And they do have a delightful array of fantastic desserts! It's located exactly under the lighthouse in Harbour Town, and no, I don't have stock in the restaurant. They're only open during the "on season", closed during winter months, but I think they are open now again. It's been there forever, and ownership is by one guy, and it's always tops. The reuben sandwich and shrimp salad on the lunch menu are great...among other things. All 3 menus are great. Convinced yet? Get a waterside window table for brunch and watch the dolphins jump.Or get the same for dinner and watch the glorious sunset. Very romantic place. They also have ALWAYS had fresh flowers on each table. And afterward you can walk around Harbour Town and enjoy all the great shops and all the sights. Live music in the summer, usually by a lone guitarist along the sidewalk. Rocking chairs along the "walk" for relaxing and people-watching. Great ice cream in the back of the Country Bear General store. Very nice playground for kids. Great idea to ride bikes into Harbour Town , park the bikes, and go in for ice cream----that's a favorite midday activity for the whole family, as Sea Pines already has the best & most beautiful bike paths in the country! And the thought of that ice cream will keep you pedaling! Take a shower (please) and come back for dinner! ****As mentioned before, the Crazy Crab there has great seafood, especially crab legs, but expect a slight wait during busy times. It's worth the wait, tho....but that's a casual dinner for everyone.....we go each trip! My daughter , now sweet 16, always takes her best friend, and those two girls each get the big crab leg dinner, and they just grin from ear to ear. I think they could eat their weight in crab legs. When I tell them we're going to Crazy Crab, they just look at each other and smile. Talk about cracking some crab legs! Those two are pros! To them, it's an art! The fried shrimp is also great, probably better than at Old Oyster Factory, altho we love the views at OOF. We'll be back at HHI for a week in April and also for 3 consecutive weeks in June! Can't wait. Marty (jme) :)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
answer to suenmike32

to suenmike32: We like ANY building at Barony, as one end is closest to the indoor pool and spa, while the other end is closest to the ocean. Both ends have pools. We stayed closer to the ocean this time, but did have a high floor which allowed an ocean view, which is nice. But, any of the views at both Barony and Grande Ocean, as I've always said (for a decade) are beautiful, and all the views are nice. There's not a "bad" unit at either resort, and each has its advantages. We like the variety. We do enjoy the gnarly oak tree view when we get a lower floor, and just enjoy whatever we get. It makes each trip memorable. At night, the landscape is softly lit within the trees, and is very romantic, so sometimes we just don't care if we have an ocean view or not..... since we do own oceanSide, we frequently get an ocean view, tho. At Grande Ocean , we have oceanFront, so obviously we do have great ocean views there, but in reality, I do get bored with it sometimes, and enjoy seeing the lit pools and landscape at night, especially when sitting out on the balcony. From some of the oceanside units at both resorts, you can see both the ocean and the inner lagoons/pools/landscape. That's my preference. So, to answer, I would stay anywhere happily....we happened to be in the Sea Oat Building this time at Barony. jme :)

Last edited:

Tom M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Marbella Beach Club

formerly:
Marriott Sunset Pointe
Thanks for the update.

We have been away for a year and a half.

Two questions which I can think of:

1) Does Barony have inroom internet access yet?

2) Do they have DVD players?
:)