• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just returned from Frenchman's Cove

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I and another couple have just returned from Frenchman's Cove. We had traded in using our Kauai Beach Club. It was fantastic! Our unit was not ready when we checked in at 4:05 p.m. In fact, the girl at the reception was very diffident (almost surly) and told us to wait by the pool and she would call us when the unit was ready. One and a half hours later, no call. We returned to the reception, and a new girl was on duty. She gave us our unit (great location and fantastic view) and apologized for what had happened. An hour later, the manager called, apologized profusely, and offered all four of us free tickets to the Caribbean barbeque held on Mon. evenings. Yes, in my book, Marriott is a class act!

We attended the presentation which went as pleasantly as possible. We were told that we could enroll our post 2010 Kauai week, bought on the resale market, if we bought 3000 points. We declined to do so. I said that, although it was a great program, it did not make sense for us at our age to invest over $36,000. The presenter, named JJ, could not have been nicer and seemed to agree. There was absolutely no pressure, and 90 min. later, we left with tickets for the Catamaran dinner cruise and vouchers for $75.

I did talk to several couples by the pool who had bought from Marriott and then enrolled in the point system, and who were very unhappy when they discovered that their points were not sufficient to get them back into their home resorts for a full week. I told them about TUG, and the next day, one of the men sought me out to thank me for the info. He had gone back to his unit and immediately checked out TUG. I was happy that some people are willing to listen and learn!

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Myoakley,
Thanks for the comments on your trip to FC. I note that your profile indicates that you are in Wilton Ct. Did you fly from that area? and could you provide any details on the transportation you used getting to, from and around FC?
(airlines, airports, car-rental costs)
Tks
Mike

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello from a former Wilton-er! Go Route 7!

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

We flew out of LaGuardia on a 6 a.m. Delta flight because it was the lowest fare available (about $360. round trip). We changed planes in Atlanta. We had a direct return flight to JFK leaving St. Thomas at 2:35 p. m. We booked the flight in Oct. We also rented a car with Budget. (I'm not sure how much it cost because the couple with us, our guests, picked up the tab for that.) I think it is worth it to rent a car, because taxis charge BY THE PERSON, and the minimum fare is $10. per person. Be prepared for very high prices in the supermarkets - about double what we pay at home. St. Thomas is a beautiful island, and if you go, be sure to take the ferry to St. John. It is even more beautiful with incredible beaches. You will think you are in the South Pacific.

I hope I have answered your questions.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we used paradise renta car, for the week in a toyota tercel it was roughly $380.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
we used paradise renta car, for the week in a toyota tercel it was roughly $380.
Brian, how was your experience with Paradise car rental? We reserved a Jeep with them for a week this March. I read somewhere someone was complaining about their experience with them. They said the tires on their car were bald and they got a flat and were told they were on their own as far as getting the flat fixed.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the tercel we had was just fine, base model but had power windows, was an auto, and the ac worked.

they did mention that the cars were insured, but I recall him saying the deductible was quite high...and they did offer a number for roadside assistance but any services would also be "Extra".

other than that, the guy was very nice...was waiting for us at baggage claim when we got off the plane with a little sign with our names on it...and walked us out to the car where we both looked it over and he explained the rules (and driving on the wrong side of the road) etc.

we never had an issue with the car, so i cant comment on how good their extra "service" was. I know id be pissed if i called them and they told me to deal with it myself!

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Yes, very helpful and I appreciate it. Thank you.
Mike

Hi Mike,

We flew out of LaGuardia on a 6 a.m. Delta flight because it was the lowest fare available (about $360. round trip). We changed planes in Atlanta. We had a direct return flight to JFK leaving St. Thomas at 2:35 p. m. We booked the flight in Oct. We also rented a car with Budget. (I'm not sure how much it cost because the couple with us, our guests, picked up the tab for that.) I think it is worth it to rent a car, because taxis charge BY THE PERSON, and the minimum fare is $10. per person. Be prepared for very high prices in the supermarkets - about double what we pay at home. St. Thomas is a beautiful island, and if you go, be sure to take the ferry to St. John. It is even more beautiful with incredible beaches. You will think you are in the South Pacific.

I hope I have answered your questions.