• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Purchased

xofyt

Reaction score
Just purchased a 5000 point package from DRI. We own a timeshare in Hilton Head SC. They said we can deposit our week into DRI for 10,000 points per year giving us 15,000 points. They will pay our subscription fees with II every year. This all sounded good and after going home and reading the contract, we see cruise points are only 20%. We thought with this package you can cruise plus buy the airline tickets for all the 15,000 points.

We are happy with our deeded week with II. We just wanted to expand. Does anyone know if this is an expansion for us. The maintenance fees are high but was told we can buy things with our points to offset the maintenance fees. We do not want them to take over our II account.

Has anyone purchased lately and do you think this is a good deal for $16,000.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Cancel and buy resale.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
DRI's program fees will pay for a DRI corportate account that is only good for DRI points and your otherweek only when you deposit it to make it into DRI points. You would not be able to exchange through II as a week with your current week only as points through the DRI account unless you paid for and maintained a separate personal II account.

You are not going to get a cruise and airfare for no additional fees with 15,000 points. Like the contract states you can pay for about 20% with points and the rest you will have to buy with cash. Using points for other things really won't offset your MF's. You should rescind and save yourself $16,000. I woundn't even look at DRI for resale as they place so many restrictions on resale. If you bought this 5000 and don't rescind and find out it doesn't work for you, you won't be able to sell it (won't find a buyer) and likely wouldn't even find someone to take it for free. If DRI continues the current program after you pay it off you could pay them another $399 and the will take it back.

Reactions: RX8

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Are you still within the rescission period? If so, rescind NOW!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
it says 5 days. We are in Branson Mo. I purchased on July 4. I think I have until tomorrow

Rescind and Do it right now!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Get the letter written and to the post office before it closes today and ask for it to be post marked when you hand them the letter. Send via a trackable method so you can prove when you sent the letter.

xofyt

Reaction score
Get the letter written and to the post office before it closes today and ask for it to be post marked when you hand them the letter. Send via a trackable method so you can prove when you sent the letter.
Called, post office closed at 12:00 noon today. Per contract, is the 5th day on Sunday?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Does the contract state business days or calendar days, or just days?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Are you still at the property where you purchased. This is from NOLO.com. Perhaps try hand delivering. I wouldn't normally advocate this, but time is of the essence.

Right to Cancel a Missouri Timeshare Purchase
In Missouri, a timeshare purchaser has five days after the day of purchase to cancel the purchase. To cancel the contract, you can hand deliver or mail written notice to the developer or the timeshare salesperson. If you cancel by mail, cancellation is accomplished as of the date of the postmark (Mo. Rev. Stat. § 407.620). (Get more tips on how to cancel a timeshare contract.)

The right to cancel cannot be waived. (Mo. Rev. Stat. § 407.620).

Reactions: RX8

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
If hand delivering stay away from the sales folks because they will try to sway you by "sweetening" the deal. If will still be a bad deal and one you would regret down the road.

If you really like the resort you could likely find the same thing resale for free or almost free. Quite a big savings from $16,000. What this also means is that if you did pay $16K and decided later that DRI just isn't for you you would have to give it away for free or almost free just to be able to move on from it.

Edited - just read Tschwa2's good post about DRI resale restrictions, which I was not aware of. There are so many options with positive and negative ramifications one suggestion is to hold off buying. This is a great time to sample different resorts and systems by renting. You could rent in many cases for close to maintenance fees without the buy-in. Your tastes may change over time and eventually you may find something you absolutely love and by that time, with the help of others here that are more knowledgeable than myself, you will also know the ins and outs of the resort you are considering. There are many sites to rent from, including here at TUG.

I offer the above suggestion because it worked so well for me. I had joined TUG, and read and read posts, a year before I finally purchased.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
it says 5 days. We are in Branson Mo. I purchased on July 4. I think I have until tomorrow
You can't mail the rescission on Sunday. DO IT TODAY or you are out $16,000 on something you'll regret buying and not being able to use.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This one says it is open until 3pm. Call first and check but it would be worth the drive. Make sure all purchasers sign the letter and get it certified.

US Post Office
Post Office
Branson West, MO
(800) 275-8777
Saturday: 9AM–3PM

Reactions: Tia

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hope you find a way to get your letter out on time, not many folks get a chance to correct a $16,000 mistake!

xofyt

Reaction score
This one says it is open until 3pm. Call first and check but it would be worth the drive. Make sure all purchasers sign the letter and get it certified.

US Post Office
Post Office
Branson West, MO
(800) 275-8777

US Post Office
Post Office
Branson West, MO
(800) 275-8777

Did not see this post until now 4:00. The contract says I can also fax the rescission.

We are leaving 5:00 am tomorrow. If we make it back to Georgia by 7:00 pm, I can make it to the main post office that is open until midnight on Sunday. This way I can mail my rescission on Sunday.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did not see this post until now 4:00. The contract says I can also fax the rescission.

We are leaving 5:00 am tomorrow. If we make it back to Georgia by 7:00 pm, I can make it to the main post office that is open until midnight on Sunday. This way I can mail my rescission on Sunday.

I don't believe that any Post Office will do a Postmark on a Sunday or Holiday. You should be very sure that they will Postmark your mailing with the Postmark of 7/9/2017.

If you can't get a confirmation of this then mail another copy of this to yourself at the same time and then you will be able to see what the Postmark is on it when you receive it.

Best of luck!

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
If contract states OK to fax do that today and keep a transmission copy.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I am not giving Legal Advice but also a Certificate of Mail is also Proof of Mailing.

As for the $16,000 for 5,000 DRI Points ($3.20 per Point) that price is about average. They always start out at $8 to $9 per Point and come down. I think I paid $2.90 per Point for Hawaiian Collection in January 2015. We bought 7,500 DRI Points. We are happy with DRI. But you have to understand the system. A month after we joined we had 2 weeks in France Booked for the following October.

The trade/deposit of your previously owned week is Club Select/Club Combination. I am able to trade 2 weeks of Worldmark (1week a 2 Bedroom and 1 week a 1 bedroom) and get 15,000 DRI Points. This costs me 14,000 Worldmark Points. These traded in weeks are then available for other DRI Members to use for Cash or DRI Points. I have made use of this option on the Big Island of Hawaii.

You can roll over your DRI Points 1 year. If you do it before June 30th you can roll over all your Points. If you miss the June 30th deadline the % of DRI Points you can roll over goes down. I always roll over my Points at the start of the Calender year. You can still use them in the current year but that way they are saved until the next year just in case.

Also DRI has the Internal Point Saver. This is Booking a DRI Resort between only 7 and 60 days before travel. It is normally for about 1/2 The normal Points. So right now I could get a 2 Bedroom for a week at The Point of Poipu in September for 5,000 Points. Or a 2 Bedroom for a week in September at Cabo Azul in San Jose del Cabo with a partial Ocean View for 7,326 Points.

The biggest draw back to buying DRI Points resell is that you can only Book directly into the Home Collection in which the resell Points belong. So if you buy resell Points in the USA Collection you CAN NOT Book through DRI directly into Hawaii, Mexico, Europe, etc. You can trade through RCI etc to go to a DRI Resort in Hawaii or Mexico. Then you have to pay the RCI Fee and at the Resort you are not treated as a DRI Member so you have to pay the daily use fee of $25 or more per day.

So like I said before we enjoy our DRI but you have to learn the System to take advantage of it. It gives us direct Booking into Europe and Asia without having to go through a Trade Organization. Something we did not have with Worldmark. It gives us more options in the USA, Mexico, and Canada.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If contract states OK to fax do that today and keep a transmission copy.
I agree, if fax is okay then FAX IT NOW!Also mail tomorrow. Better safe than sorry. A hand written letter is okay.