• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just purchased TS w/HGVC - should I cancel?

gymcat305

Reaction score
Hello there! Like many people, I JUST found TUG. Having said that, I purchased a TS with HGVC yesterday and am now nervous and wonder if I should rescind.

Details: I am brand new to any kind of TS, so please forgive any novice mistakes here....

Purchased TS at HGV Sea World
2,400 points EOY odd - starts 2017
4,000 bonus points given
$9357.48 total - paid in full
MF is $839 EOY

After doing some research (after the fact) I just don't think that is nearly points to realistically vacation with.

Any thoughts/input is greatly appreciated.

Cathy

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You should absolutely rescind. The number of points you bought is so small, and you can get a large number of points for that much money via resale. I would never advise anyone to keep that number of points for so much money.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The fact that you are asking the question, and you have little knowledge of TS, answers the question. You only have a short window to cancel or you'll be stuck forever. You can then research and choose the best route for yourself.

You can always buy the same bad deal in the future if for some reason you choose to.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, you just saved yourself almost 10k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

gymcat305

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. The quick fire desicion to purchase was made after a presentation. At the time we thought it was a good idea and then did some research...and finding this forum. I do like the idea of timeshare and would consider buying resale....only after doing the research.

gymcat305

Reaction score
@rickandcindy23....In your opinion is the appropriate number of points/$$ in order to modestly vacation perhaps 2 weeks in a year. Domestic resorts, HI and perhaps Caribbean?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you really want HGVC, buy at least 5,000 annual on the resale market.

Since you bought so spur of the moment, you may actually not want HGVC. There are cheaper timeshare systems that have more locations. I suggest looking at Worldmark.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
@rickandcindy23....In your opinion is the appropriate number of points/$$ in order to modestly vacation perhaps 2 weeks in a year. Domestic resorts, HI and perhaps Caribbean?

I'm not Rick or Cindy, but....

A little bit of advice if you please...

1. Work on completing your rescission letter/process. This is a one time opportunity and you don't want to miss the opportunity to rescind.
  2. You have LOTS of time. There is not need to rush. There are soooo many opportunities to meet your vacation goals and needs, but many opportunities to 'buy the wrong thing' or 'wrong amount' for your unique situation..... so take a little time to find out what will fit your needs.
  3. When you have time, here are a few TUG threads to read about 'how many points do I need?' They are found under the HGVC FAQ and Stickies : http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94089 http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88526
  4. Strongly suggest you start with the 'new to timesharing' section of this forum http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208742 answer the questions truthfully and honestly and see what replies you get. You will get lots of advice and may get some very good ideas that you don't have now.
  5. Finally, most people here will suggest that you try renting for the first few times (vacations or years?) and get to know the product and see what fits your needs. Nothing is worse than buying too much, too little or something that you can't use. At least you're not buying at developer prices, so don't be afraid to choose when you find something you like. Also, renting (some properties) is about the same as MF's!
I hope this advice helps. Remember too: you have options for buying (owning) and renting (or using getaways) when needed, buying more than one system (HGVC and Marriott?) or buying HGVC and buying affiliate as well. So many choices.

good luck and welcome to TUG!

jonevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes rescind

:D:DI my self only own HGVC timeshare and I like them very much. I did buy my resale and while there is a few (not anything really) things you don't get by purchasing resale. I'll take my $30,000 savings and get over it. Cya on the forums and first rule of timeshares. Know what you want. And know how to use a timeshare. To me points are the best and easiest to learn to use:D

drcky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
More advice

Make sure u get a return receipt to prove when u sent it and they signed for it.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Letter sent this morning via USPS certified mail! Now on to searching for resales ��

Bravo!

But before you start searching resales, research what is the best timeshare for you, your family, and your budget.

I would suggest renting a couple of times before buying. Renting different timeshares in different places sharpens what matters and what doesn't. Resale prices aren't going to change if you wait a year or two; if anything they will decrease.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding TUG in time to save a fortune!

Armani987

Reaction score
Although mine is 3400 points, I got it for $500. 5% of what you are about to pay. I asked the same question exactly a year ago and saved $30,000 for not buying Nanea in Hawaii.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k