• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just purchased at Massanutten - need urgent advice!

SSaha

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Woodstone Luxury - Massanutten Resorts
Hi

I am a first time timeshare owner and today I nervously signed on the dotted line to ‘own’ Woodstone Luxury (week 1) at Massanutten.

I am not entirely interested in coming to Massanutten again, but am owning this mostly for the points which I would like to use at other locations through RCI. I usually end up spending on 2 one-week long vacations every year and wanted to stay at better places for the Exchange Rates all over the world.

Is this a good deal? I am confused.

What I am paying:
2 bedroom timeshare condo price - $10,990 (this was owned by someone else who can’t pay anymore and we will begin ownership in 2023).
Plus maintenance fees of $487 per year (I was told this is the lowest in the timeshare world and i)
Plus RCI annual fees of $124 per year

What I am getting:
Week 1 stay at my condo (which I don’t really intend to use)
35,000 - 37,000 RCI points per year if I don’t use my condo
1 bonus week per year (starting this year and will rollover. So in 2022 I have 2 bonus weeks) which can be used by paying $249 for 7 night stay.
RCI points to be utilized by paying exchange rates from $59 (1 night) to $288 (14 nights or more).

Is this fair? Should I run and cancel or stay on?!

thanks!!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi

I am a first time timeshare owner and today I nervously signed on the dotted line to ‘own’ Woodstone Luxury (week 1) at Massanutten.

I am not entirely interested in coming to Massanutten again, but am owning this mostly for the points which I would like to use at other locations through RCI. I usually end up spending on 2 one-week long vacations every year and wanted to stay at better places for the Exchange Rates all over the world.

What I am paying:
2 bedroom timeshare condo price - $10,990 (this was owned by someone else who can’t pay anymore and we will begin ownership in 2023).
Plus maintenance fees of $487 per year (I was told this is the lowest in the timeshare world and i)

What I am getting:
1 bonus week per year (starting this year and will rollover. So in 2022 I have 2 bonus weeks) which can be used by paying $249 for 7 night stay.
RCI points to be utilized by paying exchange rates from $59 (1 night) to $288 (14 nights or more).

thanks!!

RESCIND - you can get this for a lot less buying resale.

a lot less could be $ 1.00 / free- and it will have the same options.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please Rescind. Please look at what some Massanutten Woodstone and their Regal Vista villas are selling for on the TUG WEBSITE.

Which side did you purchased the F or the P side?
F side is the 2 bedroom unit with the full kitchen.
P side is the 2 bedroom unit with the partial kitchen.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Week 1 is a fairly low demand week at Massanutten. If you are looking for an RCI points generating ownership to use to exchange elsewhere, Massanutten is a decent one, particularly summer weeks in Woodstone (137,000 points) or Regal Vista (198,000 points). Those work out to be $0.005 - $0.006 per point. The one you agreed to buy works out to be ~$0.013 per point, or three times as expensive on an ongoing basis than the summer weeks, which can be had on eBay for <$1K (sometimes considerably less). Bottom line, this one is not a great deal either in the up front cost or the ongoing costs.

The bonus weeks are a decent benefit, but often come with the purchase of a resale week since the program is run by RCI not Massanutten and buying a resale week can include transfer of the RCI account.

You can get a similar week to this for free, including the transfer costs, through timesharenation.com, too.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP says she signed on the dotted line. With whom? Massanutten? A broker? Directly with Current Owner? Has she paid any money to anyone yet? If a resale transaction, is their a right to rescind? If there is no right to rescind, can she just refuse to go through with the transaction. I see too many unknown facts to be giving advice...

George

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
OP says she signed on the dotted line. With whom? Massanutten? A broker? Directly with Current Owner? Has she paid any money to anyone yet? If a resale transaction, is their a right to rescind? If there is no right to rescind, can she just refuse to go through with the transaction. I see too many unknown facts to be giving advice...

George

OP asked the question "Should I run and cancel or stay on?!" Granted there are a lot of unknown facts, but the advice being provided all seems to be in answer to that question.

In any case, there are Virginia State laws that apply to resale of timeshares that include a right to void a contract. Here's the link:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with other posters. If your goal is a good size stash of RCI Points to use within that system, there are much better buys than what you bought. We use the 'rule of thumb' that a penny a point in annual fees is a decent price/value. Some are a little better, some a bit worse. Yours is in the worse value category. Send the rescind letter- It needn't be fancy or legalese, just 'I/We wish to cancel purchase #______________ dated ____________. Signed ______________and_______________. will get it done. Send it USPS Certified. return receipt. DO NOT drop it at the sales office!

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG, @SSaha

We're delighted you found us. RESCIND immediately.
You can buy a much better contract for $1.00 (yes one dollar).

After you Rescind, Stick around, ask questions, and read as much as you can.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP asked the question "Should I run and cancel or stay on?!" Granted there are a lot of unknown facts, but the advice being provided all seems to be in answer to that question.

In any case, there are Virginia State laws that apply to resale of timeshares that include a right to void a contract. Here's the link:

Thanks for sharing the Commonwealth of Virginia resale laws for timeshare. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for sharing the Commonwealth of Virginia resale laws for timeshare. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I had never actually looked them up until the issue of right to cancel a resale purchase came up. I have purchased a couple of resales in Virginia (The Colonies and Vacation Village at Williamsburg), but never got the certificate mentioned - if I ever pick up any more, I'll know to ask now.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Week 1 is not a totally bad week. It is ski time at Massanutten. Weekends can be very busy at Massanutten.

Please Rescind and save yourself some money.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

What I am paying:

What I am getting:

thanks!!

RESCIND IMMEDIATELY and save your hard earned money. You're spending far TOO MUCH.

Go to eBay and check out what's available there for as little as $1.

Welcome to TUG.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Are there similar state laws in the other forty-nine (49) states as this one in the Commonwealth of Virginia to protect the new resale timeshare owner?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I haven't actually looked specifically for resale timeshare protections. @Grammarhero put together a pretty decent set of links to State timeshare laws that's in a sticky here, though:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Methinks @SSaha bought from developer. It’s a common ploy for the supervisor to say a fellow owner couldn’t pay, so you’re taking over for a discount.

SSaha

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, I have decided to cancel the whole thing. The document just says to cancel by sending a post but doesn’t mention what to include in it!

SSaha

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had never actually looked them up until the issue of right to cancel a resale purchase came up. I have purchased a couple of resales in Virginia (The Colonies and Vacation Village at Williamsburg), but never got the certificate mentioned - if I ever pick up any more, I'll know to ask now.

I got the certificate stating the ‘Bonus Week’. They told me the deed for the property will be sent later as I still owe them 50%.

tjaltt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi.
We have a Woodstone timeshare - week 41 double unit - which we no longer use or need. We now live in Europe. Thought we might use the weeks (it's weeks not points at RCI) in retirement but are not really using them. Was reading the thread about how to dispose of it noting that Massanutten do not help or take them back and, as others above say, they are advertised for $1 in various places. I would rather not have the hassle of defaulting. The deeds are in the loft of our house somewhere but if you want it ... its free. I will sort out deeds somehow - I believe copies are held in a lawyers near Massanutten.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I got the certificate stating the ‘Bonus Week’. They told me the deed for the property will be sent later as I still owe them 50%.
Did you send the letter in? I hope you were able to rescind in time.

SSaha

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you send the letter in? I hope you were able to rescind in time.
I went to their sales office at the resort (I was still there when I changed my mind) and gave them the entire box with documents. They asked me to write a letter saying I am terminating contract number so and so. I was told by the admin lady that I should see my refund within 45 days. And now we wait. Thanks for everyone’s advice on this.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I went to their sales office at the resort (I was still there when I changed my mind) and gave them the entire box with documents. They asked me to write a letter saying I am terminating contract number so and so. I was told by the admin lady that I should see my refund within 45 days. And now we wait. Thanks for everyone’s advice on this.
I hope it works out for you. Going into the sales office is usually a mistake. Regal vista at massanutten doesn’t seem like the type of place to ignore your rescission request. However, without proof of postage, you really have no recourse if they “lost” your hand delivered letter. If it were me, I’d write a follow up letter and send it out today certified mail USPS

SSaha

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hope it works out for you. Going into the sales office is usually a mistake. Regal vista at massanutten doesn’t seem like the type of place to ignore your rescission request. However, without proof of postage, you really have no recourse if they “lost” your hand delivered letter. If it were me, I’d write a follow up letter and send it out today certified mail USPS
I have a copy of the letter I wrote with the admin lady signed on it with ‘received on date...’ mentioned on it. That should prove that I submitted the letter to that person on such and such person. Is that ok?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
§ 55.1-2221. Purchaser's rights of cancellation

According to the VA statute, you may be okay with that rescission letter if it was received on time (VA statute says seven days unless the seventh day falls on Sunday or a legal holiday, then the day following the Sunday or legal holiday).

While it is almost universally recommended to send a letter of rescission via certified US mail, return receipt requested, to the place designated in the contract, the VA statute allows for "hand-delivering the notice to the developer at its principal office or at the project." [Emphasis mine] If mailed, the effective date is the day postmarked.

Refund of all payments is required within 45 days of receipt of notice of cancellation.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I have a copy of the letter I wrote with the admin lady signed on it with ‘received on date...’ mentioned on it. That should prove that I submitted the letter to that person on such and such person. Is that ok?
Excellent. Then you should be ok. I missed the part where they acknowledged they received it. Congrats! Now buy resale! I own regal vista and get a great amount of RCI points each year. I’ve been using them a lot lately