• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just purchased and having second thoughts!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Oak
Hello -
Yesterday I bought a 5k point every-other-year (gold) plan to get into the system. We live 4 hours from Hilton Head so we bought in at Ocean Oak. We have four young kids ages 4-to-9, so we figure we will come here once a year, hopefully snagging some open season rates on our off years. The cost (after back-to-back VIP package years) was $19,000.

I’m sure it’s not uncommon to have second thoughts — I went against Dave Ramsey’s advice of running away from the timeshare meeting. It sounded good so I pulled the trigger. Now I’m a tad queasy.

Did any of you feel similarly? Did I just make a big mistake by spending my next 10 years of vacation upfront? Please put my mind at ease... or tell me to get out now.

thanks !

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We recommend rescinding from buying from the developer. Hold back and study the options. If, after careful consideration, TS seems 'right', buy resale. Hilton treats resale buyers right, and you can buy a much larger bundle of points for the same or less money. Rescind first, then hang here- we're a friendly bunch, and do some studying at U-TUG. Welcome!

Jim

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Resci
Hello -
Yesterday I bought a 5k point every-other-year (gold) plan to get into the system. We live 4 hours from Hilton Head so we bought in at Ocean Oak. We have four young kids ages 4-to-9, so we figure we will come here once a year, hopefully snagging some open season rates on our off years. The cost (after back-to-back VIP package years) was $19,000.

I’m sure it’s not uncommon to have second thoughts — I went against Dave Ramsey’s advice of running away from the timeshare meeting. It sounded good so I pulled the trigger. Now I’m a tad queasy.

Did any of you feel similarly? Did I just make a big mistake by spending my next 10 years of vacation upfront? Please put my mind at ease... or tell me to get out now.

thanks !
rescinding is the only way to put your mind at ease. Follow the rescission instructions to the T and send it in USPS certified with return receipt. There are samples of letters to write and it’s important that everyone who signed the contract signs the rescission letter. It must be postmarked by a certain day. The contract may not say to rescind or cancel, it may be generic like to make any changes to the contract write to Xx Within certain amount of days. @Grammarhero 19K

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Rescind. Follow the instructions @CPNY gave. Study the HGVC system and the benefits of resale (much greater deal than buying from the developer). If, after your research, you determine that you still want that deal (you wont), that deal will still be there.

HGVC treats its owners, even resale ones very well. The system is very flexible and, with the new resorts coming on line, there are a plethora of sweaters . . . Er . . . resorts to choose from.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Oak
Thanks for these replies — we signed our contract on 7/2 and we have five days. We will take your advice and rescind by Monday. They “froze” our price from the previous year’s meeting, which only added to our enticement.

I’ve heard a lot about purchasing hgvc through “resale.” Could someone walk me through that process? Are you purchasing just the week or the entire club membership? To be honest, we want to be able to come to Ocean Oak in Hilton Head annually during the summer. That was truly the main reason we purchased. Whatever gets us there.!

Again - thank you for all the advice. Much-needed clarity !

matt

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Don’t feel guilty about rescinding as the salesperson is not your friend. I know HGVC gives a credit of your VIP cost against your timeshare purchase but you are still paying way too much.

A resale 8400 point deed should have the same maintenance fees as the 5000 point contract you purchased retail. I think it doable that with patience you could buy an every year 8400 point deed and still pocket about $9000 in savings. Those extra points will let you get larger rooms that gives your family more space.

Congrats on finding TUG in time to rescind!

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding TUG in time to save 19k!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for these replies — we signed our contract on 7/2 and we have five days. We will take your advice and rescind by Monday. They “froze” our price from the previous year’s meeting, which only added to our enticement.

I’ve heard a lot about purchasing hgvc through “resale.” Could someone walk me through that process? Are you purchasing just the week or the entire club membership? To be honest, we want to be able to come to Ocean Oak in Hilton Head annually during the summer. That was truly the main reason we purchased. Whatever gets us there.!

matt

When you purchase resale, you have the same booking windows, reservation rights and, with the exception of elite status, perks of an owner that bought from the developer. I bought resale at The Flamingo, am a member of “the club” and I am able book just like any other member.

Almost all of the resorts in the system are “mandatory” resorts that must be enrolled in club. Ocean Oak is one of those resorts. There is one benefit of owning there: you get the home week booking window. It gives you the right to book your week at 12 months instead of the 9 month club booking window. You have to book your designated unit (regular, plus) for a full week during the season you bought in. Since you want a summer week you may consider buying there to get the home booking window. Those that book at Ocean Oak might know better if the home booking window is needed. If it is, buying resale will allow you to go there. If you can book during the club booking window, a low MF resort is the best way to go.

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
1. Pay $15 if you haven’t for an annual subscription to TUG. Look at how much money it’s already saved you! And ask questions!!

2. I almost jumped at the incentives of a VIP package also. But once those bonus points are gone, you’re stuck with whatever they rope you into.

3. Shop around! Especially on TUG, Redweek.com and even ebay (search for sellers with perfect or near perfect reviews and previous listings of HGVC properties). Just looking at the values available will make you SO GLAD you went with rescission and not buying from the developer.

4. As the noted philosopher John McClane once said, “Welcome to the party, pal!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many

matt

You should definitely rescind. Gold season units can be bought for a fraction of what you are paying. EOY units sell for very low prices as the closing costs are too high plus the club fee on the off years.

You lose nothing by rescinding. If you want to buy it again from the Hilton, that offer will be there. But the option to rescind expires in a few days. Exploding offers are a common tactic used to push bad deals on consumers.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I would agree with the advice which you have already been given.

To be honest, we want to be able to come to Ocean Oak in Hilton Head annually during the summer.
It will be impossible for you to go to Ocean Oak every summer since you only purchased EOY Gold season (non-summer). The regular 2Bd units at Ocean Oak require 7000 points during the summer season. Now, I will be honest with you, Ocean Oak is difficult to book really during any time of the year so it must be booked exactly when the club season booking window opens (276 days before check-out). Booking a TS requires planning.

so we figure we will come here once a year, hopefully snagging some open season rates on our off years.

Open Season rates have increased drastically starting about 6 years ago. If you haven't seen the rates for Ocean Oak, then you can send me a PM.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Recind, until you know exactly what your points will get you in the season you want. Purchasing resale is a bit unnerving the first time, but if you join Tug there are many people that will help guide you through the process.

Nocdavis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kohala Suites
I agree with all the previous advice. Rescind immediately.

We live outside of Charlotte, NC so the 3 resorts in Myrtle Beach and 1 in HHI are about the same distance for us and the primary locations we visit. We have two Mini-me’s so we generally stay in 2 BDRM places.

That being said we bought 16,800 points in HI for ~$7200 through Diane Nadeu. We then use those points for roughly 3 weeks at MB & HHI or wherever else we want to go.

Ocean Oak requires a bit more planning and booking at the 276 day mark, but it’s doable. I just booked our 2021 spring break trip there a few days ago.

As an aside we went to multiple presentations for Marriott, Disney, and Hilton. We knew we would say “no” but wanted to get intel on which program worked for us the best. If I was smart I would have joined Tugg sooner and saved the 8-12 hours of sales preso time .

Trust the “tuggers” they will steer you right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ba2471

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We recommend rescinding from buying from the developer. Hold back and study the options. If, after careful consideration, TS seems 'right', buy resale. Hilton treats resale buyers right, and you can buy a much larger bundle of points for the same or less money. Rescind first, then hang here- we're a friendly bunch, and do some studying at U-TUG. Welcome!

Jim
Interesting read and to the initiating author thank you for being vulnerable and reaching out.

Jim, you make the comment about Hilton "treating resale buyers right". Are there other companies you can recommend that treat resale buyers right? I've had good luck with my current timeshare (Wyndham) but they squeeze me every chance they get.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting read and to the initiating author thank you for being vulnerable and reaching out.

Jim, you make the comment about Hilton "treating resale buyers right". Are there other companies you can recommend that treat resale buyers right? I've had good luck with my current timeshare (Wyndham) but they squeeze me every chance they get.
By 'right', I mean that resale buyers are the same in the eyes of the resort operator as owners that buy from them. (imo) Wyndham squeezes every owner equally- except the exclusion from VIP status for resale buyers. I also feel that VRI (www.vriresorts.com) and Vacation Internationale don't discriminate against resale buyers. There may be others I'm not aware of.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful when rescinding. Be sure to use Certified US Mail; be sure to send you notice to the address provided in your paperwork; make sure that everyone who signed the contract signs the Rescind request; and definitely get your notice postmarked prior to expiration of the Rescind deadline. If you do all this, you will be fine. Do not call or otherwise talk to anyone from HGVC...

George

Last edited:

ba2471

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
By 'right', I mean that resale buyers are the same in the eyes of the resort operator as owners that buy from them. (imo) Wyndham squeezes every owner equally- except the exclusion from VIP status for resale buyers. I also feel that VRI (www.vriresorts.com) and Vacation Internationale don't discriminate against resale buyers. There may be others I'm not aware of.
agree we're all squeezed equally. Thanks for the vri and hilton review, i will look into them.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Welcome to TUG. Glad you will be rescinding in time. HGVC (and other systems) are terrific but you have to know what you are buying.

We have a saying here:

1) Rescind
2) Research (TUG + elsewhere. Take your time so you know what you are buying.)
3) Resale (buy resale for a fraction of the Developer price or Rent timeshares from owners if it is less than Maint fees at your desired location.)

Glad you found TUG in time to rescind your purchase before it's too late. Many of us didn't find TUG and purchased our first TS via developer but later bought resale and saved tens of thousands. Good luck!

Last edited:

ba2471

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Welcome to TUG. Glad you will be rescinding in time. HGVC (and other systems) are terrific but you have to know what you are buying.

We have a saying here:

1) Rescind
2) Research (TUG + elsewhere. Take your time so you know what you are buying.)
3) Resale (buy resale for a fraction of the Developer price or rent timeshares from owners if it is less than Maint fees at the location of your choice.)

Glad you found TUG in time rescind your purchase before it's too late. Many of us didn't find TUG and purchased our first TS via developer but later bought resale and saved a lot. Good luck!
Nice! 3 R's i can get down with.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
[QUOTE="GT75, post: 2470940, member: 87063. . . . .

It will be impossible for you to go to Ocean Oak every summer since you only purchased EOY Gold season (non-summer). The regular 2Bd units at Ocean Oak require 7000 points during the summer season. Now, I will be honest with you, Ocean Oak is difficult to book really during any time of the year so it must be booked exactly when the club season booking window opens (276 days before check-out). Booking a TS requires planning.
[/QUOTE]

The salesperson sold you something that doesn't work for you; it seems almost fraudulent that you were sold something that is unlikely to let you make the reservation you want in the season you want. Rescind and by something that will (on the resale market).

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[QUOTE="GT75, post: 2470940, member: 87063. . . . .

Those 5000 points will get the OP 3-5 days (depending on the days of the week) at Ocean Oak during the platinum season. If the OP didn’t find TUG and rescind, the next owners update would have been based around how the OP needs to upgrade to a higher point deed. Sell ‘em something that doesn’t fit, convince them to upgrade to something that fits better and then later on, hit them with the useless elite program.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Reiterating all the advice. I bought a similar package through Hilton. I had my phone out and timer on. I was prepared to walk out after 90 actual minutes. My husband decided to cave and so they pivoted all their energy on him.

I WISH WE HAD RESCINDED.

But, we made lemonade and used our every-other-year. Happy now because it was an odd year and we cannot travel. Because I joined TUG, I got my education here and am still learning. I also bought points on resale from Diane Nadeau to flesh out our original package. HGVC is very customer friendly to resale and there is no real difference. You just need to understand the booking window as everyone has stated. The minute the booking window opens, you need to be on-line, on-the-phone, or whatever to get your week of choice for a popular resort.

Rescind via Certified Mail to the address listed on the paperwork. I would even pay for the Proof of Service postcard that they need to sign and send back.

Join TUG to get the proper advice. I did after my purchase and it was the best move. Good luck.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Those 5000 points will get the OP 3-5 days (depending on the days of the week) at Ocean Oak during the platinum season. If the OP didn’t find TUG and rescind, the next owners update would have been based around how the OP needs to upgrade to a higher point deed. Sell ‘em something that doesn’t fit, convince them to upgrade to something that fits better and then later on, hit them with the useless elite program.
This is what I believe is SOP for HGVC TS sales. I assumed they sized up how much the OP could spend now and then sold them on a package with "get your foot in the door" and use OS to complete their needs. What sales don't disclose is resales, if what they offer is feasible/practical and they certainly won't clear any misconceptions.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Oak
Thanks for all of the replies and input — you all have been a great help. We purchased on Thursday and will rescind on Monday.

couple of follow-up questions for the group:

I am assuming that if I purchase a 7,000 pt annual platinum package at Ocean Oak on resale, I cannot increase the point value down the road; I would have to purchase another TS somewhere for more points (and pick one with low MF). All points would combine, but I would own multiple TS. Is this correct ? Or is there another way to simply purchase points for the resale TS I purchase ?

(I.e. my understanding is the main advantage of buying direct from HGVC is you can increase your points — albeit at an exhorbitant rate— without buying another timeshare. Is that the main reason to “buy-in” like I originally did?)

I may have more questions — but this has been a great learning experience. Thanks again for all the help.