• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Purchased 3500 Points in MVCI - Have Questions

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge
1. Ability to rent more points from other owners at a reduced cost. You can't do this unless your an owner enrolled in the DC.

I disagree with this statement - being in the DC points program allows you to have the points you rent transferred into your account (and your name), but you can still rent if not in the DC. You rent points from an owner and have them make the reservation for you; this is similar to renting a week from a weeks' owner; most Marriott owners leave the reservation in their name and add the renter's name to the reservation.

As for rescinding, I also think the initial cost of points is very hard to justify. As someone also pointed out, very few 3500pt weeks would realistically cost you $3000-4000k for the week. Some prime Maui weeks will cost you that much to rent, but they would also cost you 2 years of points as well, so there isn't any savings. There are *some* value weeks in the system where the point cost (based on MF & ignoring initial outlay) is cheaper than renting, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

If you have tons of money, the points program is nice because of the flexibility. If you are not overflowing with cash, I'd seriously consider renting points for .60/pt instead of buying them and/or simply renting a traditional week from year to year. Renting from year to year is the ultimate in flexibility, and renting from owners will almost always be cheaper than the rates you see at Marriott.com.

Check out http://vacationpointexchange.com/ to see what the point rental market looks like. Like others have mentioned, study the charts as others to see what 3500 gets you and compare rental prices for those same weeks.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree with this statement - being in the DC points program allows you to have the points you rent transferred into your account (and your name), but you can still rent if not in the DC. You rent points from an owner and have them make the reservation for you; this is similar to renting a week from a weeks' owner; most Marriott owners leave the reservation in their name and add the renter's name to the reservation.

I suppose this is possible as in anything is possible but look at the logistics of this from a non-DC members prospective. You would have to know how the DC system operates and understand it. Then you would have to find someone who is a DC member and has enough available points to check online availability for you or ask them to spend time on the phone with a rep.

Now you would have to know about the points rental website and find an owner renting points who was

A. willing to make a reservation for you with his points for what he was asking just to rent the points.

B. willing to go through this nut roll with no upfront payment from you and no guarantee that you'll pay him after he rents the week for you.

Isn't it just easier to rent a week?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
B. willing to go through this nut roll with no upfront payment from you and no guarantee that you'll pay him after he rents the week for you.

Though if the renter doesn't follow through and pay, the owner can always just cancel the points reservation and get all their points back.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
First time time share purchaser, we just purchased 3500 points in the MVCI Destinations Program through MVCI after an Encore presentation (first presentation was 2012 and we visited again recently). Not planning on using their financing.

We are in the 10 day period of right to rescind. Putting the cost for the points aside for the moment ---- While on one hand I think this program will be a good thing for us, and with small children we have a resort type property as opposed to a one room run of the mill hotel room and the program allowing us to explore places we would not generally travel to, I am also having second thoughts as I am unsure what this does for me as opposed to just putting together an annual trip. We do not want to buy a week at a certain resort and be attached to that property or have difficulties trading that. I do like the flexibility of going wherever we'd like.

I would be interested in feedback and comments from other owners who bought into this program as their first foray into time share ownership....... is this program for you or do you regret it?

I cannot get past the concept of paying so much money for the points PLUS paying annual maintenance fees on top of that when we can stay at a Marriott property for 5 or so days for +/- the cost of the maintenance fees..... That is what is troubling me most. What is the benefit of being part of the "club"?

As a second question, how difficult is it to convert these points into the II program to obtain a stay at a high level non-Marriott resort such as one in the Hyatt system (I have no interest staying at a property which is not at least MVCI level).

I have many other questions as well if you all don't mind if we stick this out.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to corresponding with you.

It took me a year of research before buying my first resale. Break even was less than a year because for one of my units, we got a ski season MVCI. After four years, I added a MVCI property mainly because have firmed up our vacationing preferences. Point is, you have all your life to buy but only a couple of days to rescind. Follow your gut feel and spend some time here and exchanging a resale. You'd be surprised at what you can get on the secondary market from third parties.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Though if the renter doesn't follow through and pay, the owner can always just cancel the points reservation and get all their points back.

If you were renting points how many cancellations would you go through before you just said "rent the points or go away i'm not in the reservation business".

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you were renting points how many cancellations would you go through before you just said "rent the points or go away i'm not in the reservation business".

While possible, I think the issue is very small. In most cases you would be checking for availability and probably only making the reservation when you had a confirmation from the renter that they wanted to rent the confirmation. Probably 95%, if not more, would follow through. I think you are making it sound like a bigger issue than it would end up being.

It is easier to flat out rent and transfer points? Yes, but renting a confirmed reservation made with points isn't that much harder.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Speaking as someone who rents out points, I would ask the prospective renter for a small deposit prior to me making the reservation.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Please note that many current TS owners will rent out their weeks to the general public at a cost significantly less than Marriott will rent the same room.

We were thinking about buying a Westin TS in Hawaii and the MFs would have been about $2300/yr . For about the same amount of money I was able to find several current owners who would rent me the same TS unit. This means that I can stay in the same resort with the same large TS apartment as an owner without having to buy anything. If next year we want to go to Disney I can rent a room there for 1/2 of the MFs of the Hawaii TS.

Good Luck

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback. I have some more studying and research to do over the next few days. I am sure I will be back with more questions.

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Certainly taking your comments into consideration.

I do like the concept of being able to travel to various Marriott (and similar level) resorts and have the use of the grounds and larger accommodations.

I would not want to purchase a set week at a specific resort and be attached to that resort or be reliant on depositing it to the pool and relying on being able/not being able to trade it in for another week someplace else. The whole theory behind purchasing via the Destinations Club was the flexibility of going to various locations during different times of the year (we have young children) banking points for a longer trip in the future and/or renting out nights.

I am going to scour these boards to see what you all say pro and con about the program in general (have not seen many pro's yet) and then make a decision before the end of the week.

Thank you again.

SBD

I will stand out there and say that we are very happy owners of a number of Marriott deeded week resorts and we purchased 2500 trust points two years ago. Yes, we could rent hotel rooms for less ... but the accommodations are not nearly as spacious. We can easily have family and friends join us and choose to have dinners out or family dinners in ... Using destinations we are able to reserve the view category we want, we are able to stretch our points by reserving almost a week (Sun to Thursday take half the DC points as a Sat or Sun) and when we are not having family and friends we can reserve a one bedroom for longer or for less points.

One thing that could make your purchase better (hold on to your hat) is to circle back to your sales person and ask if he/ she can get a resale (through Marriott) of an off season week that can be converted to 1500 or more points that costs under 5K. They will place this week in the program and waive any sign on fee as long as the purchase is done at the time of buying a min of 1500 trust points. We just sold through Marriott our Spring Barony week that brought 1625 DC points every year for a price to the buyer if 3300. If they coupled this with a purchase of 1500 trust points they would have access to 3125 per year. If you did this and added it to your 3500 point purchase, you would have 5125 every year to work with.

Just this week, friends of ours did similar only they purchased an every other year Vegas property with 1500 dc points and have an average of just under 3000 dc points each year for a total price of just under 23K. (they paid 11.88 per credit) According to our presentation two weeks ago, ( we didn't buy since we own another 5 and 2500 dc pts) if you purchased 3500 points, the price was rolled back to 9.50 per credit and you also got another incentive or two. If a purchase like yours were made in conjunction with a resale week purchased through your Marriott rep for a small amount more ( in comparison) you would greatly increase your benefits.

There is a lot that can be done with 3500 dc points but there is much more that can be done with 5000+.

We've owned since 1999 and have not been sorry a day since. Now that our daughters are older and do not always travel with us, we have friends that join us, enjoy some trips on our own, and can give our kids access to places they would like to go on their own. We could have saved money buying resale along the way but never did. With their new system, I am glad that we purchased through Marriott. We used to trade frequently through II but now we use DC points when we want to go to another Marriott property. I expect that Marriott DC points would trade relatively easily to other systems but as with all timeshares, where you want to go would have to be available.

Good luck with your decision. I would not rescind. I imagine you were able to apply your encore costs to your purchase price and that you got a reasonable roll back price. Congratulations on your purchase.

Beverley :cheer::clap::cheer:

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some good benefits for your 3500 Points purchase:

1. Ability to rent more points from other owners at a reduced cost. You can't do this unless your an owner enrolled in the DC.
2. Flexibility to book and confirm a reservation like a hotel room by the day at any MVCI resort in any season desired. You can't do this as a resale owner who buys in today's marketplace.
3. Ability to use your points for other types of vacation experiences.
4. Automatic enrollment in the MVCI DC.
5. Rent from MVCI at 25% discount for being an owner.
6. Trade for MR points if so desired (not a good value)
7. Rent out your points for cash if desired

Many folks take an ALL or NOTHING approach to vacationing using timeshares as the only vehicle to achieve their goals thus they will always recommend to "Rescind" immediately.

If this is merely one way you plan on vacationing then it may be a good fit with your particular lifestyle choices.

The Marriott Program is not the only way to travel or vacation each year but IMHO it does offer quite a few good opportunities to do so.

As others have suggested, this site can help you understand the program better.

Good luck.

FT

For STarters, I agree with the advice to research thoroughly before buying and if you are not 100% certain, then perhaps wait until you are.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I would echo most of the above comments, adding some balance to the discussion.

Adding a couple more considerations. No need to add to the other side of argument as it is well represented:

1. renting from an individual requires a degree of work and diligence you may not feel like doing

2. Some properties and or size accommodations are harder to get into and MAY not be as readily available, so it may require more flexibililty than you are aware

3. Context - again not saying any of the prevailing advice is incorrect or inappropriate, but there is a resale bias to this community...

One key thing to take note....a CON....take key note of the advice to see what you really get for 3500 points. That would rarely be enough to get me what I want as I need prime time and large accommodations...

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another benefit to purchasing Trust points is using your points to enhance a legacy deeded week reservation by adding on a few days to the reservation without burning through another week.

FT

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
While possible, I think the issue is very small. In most cases you would be checking for availability and probably only making the reservation when you had a confirmation from the renter that they wanted to rent the confirmation. Probably 95%, if not more, would follow through. I think you are making it sound like a bigger issue than it would end up being.

It is easier to flat out rent and transfer points? Yes, but renting a confirmed reservation made with points isn't that much harder.

Originally I said let's look at this from the non-DC members perspective. I own a 2b OS plat unit at Ocean Pointe. If I were to convert to DC points and rent them on the VPE website at .60 a point I'd be asking for $2595 based on the 4325 points. Why would someone ask me to get a week for them at a cost of $2595 when there are 55 listings on Redweek for a 2b OS/OF during plat season at Ocean Pointe ranging in price from $1750 to $2500.

It just doesn't make any sense to try to do this. It has no real benefit to the seller and it's more expensive to the renter. Yes it's possible but IMO highly unlikely.

denydog

Reaction score
DC Points OK for us.

My wife and I were in similar situation as OP 18 months ago. In our case, we purchased into Marriott 3,500 DC point timeshare while on a stay at Marriott Ko Olina. I started my first research into timeshares via Google as I sat by the pool an hour after signing the contract.

The TUG forum stood out, and as I continued reading, I quickly came to the realization that we had just signed up for the most expensive way to get into Marriott timeshare ownership. But as of today, I still do not regret our decision. For us it pretty much comes down to convenience. If it were just me it would be different, but my wife hates complications and any type of ambiguity. Convenience and simplicity trumps other factors, though I realize the high cost. My wife would never go for any trading of weeks, or buying renting or selling outside of Marriott.

So for us the DC points seem to be working out well. I made a reservation ten months out for a 10-day stay at Waiohai, two bedroom ocean view, using nearly two years points (6,900). We like better views and more than a week at a time, though our travel times are flexible. I also am considering using the single night(s) option for a short stay when I'm passing through Newport next summer.

If I want more points in the future, I will buy them as needed outside of Marriott.

I do agree with others here that the OP should probably back out if they have questions at this point, unless they know for sure what they want, and are getting.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Yes, they explained go where you want when you want but you would need to book early to have a chance to get in.

For example, if I were to buy a week at a specific resort instead via a resale, let's say the last week of August at Newport, what can I legitimately do with it as we certainly do not want to go out to the same place year after year but may, for example, wish to travel in a February to Colorado or the Caribbean.

Example, I own at Marriott Fairway Villas in Absecon, NJ, a Platinum week. I've exchange that unit twice to Barony Beach, HHI, twice to Aruba Surf Club, to Orlando, Williamsburg, VA, Park City. Many of these were before the Destination Club, but not all. Most were for Platinum weeks and all were 2BR units. My most recent II exchange with that week was for a 2BR unit at Surf Club this past July for a specific week, for a friend.

I can't guarantee, that you would always be able to do this, but Marriott won't either. Here's the kicker, if you bought the same resale week at Fairway, you'd probably be paying $5000 up front and MF's are cheaper than 3500 points, last I checked.

stoler527

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Goals of timeshare ownership

Sometimes we get so involved with the cheapest way to do things that we forget that others have other goals.

Yes, being retired, my family has limited cash and so we search for a cost effective way to vacation.

It would probably be cheaper for us to rent rather than own. We own because it reduces stress and forces us to actually go on vacations.

The OP sounds like he or she is willing to spend money to buy flexibility and to lessen the hassles of vacation planning. The points program will do that.

I agree that 3500 points will not meet the goals of the OP. More points are needed. If money is not a constraining factor, the OP should just buy more than 3500 points. Otherwise, the resale week from Marriott combined with the points would be a good way to go.

We did not buy into the points program. For us, it was just too expensive. For the OP, it may be the perfect purchase.

However, the OP needs to look at the points charts and to decide what is best for the family. The salesman probably painted a rosy picture. If time is running short, I would advise the OP to rescind and take the purchase more slowly. If time has run out, I would advise the OP to enjoy the points and develop a strategy (purchasing, renting, resale weeks, etc) to get more points.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that 3500 points will not meet the goals of the OP. More points are needed. If money is not a constraining factor, the OP should just buy more than 3500 points. Otherwise, the resale week from Marriott combined with the points would be a good way to go.

I am not certain that the 3500 will meet our needs either looking at when we would need to travel, where to travel etc....

What do you mean by "Otherwise the resale week from Marriott combined with the points would be a good way to go?"

Thanks.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not certain that the 3500 will meet our needs either looking at when we would need to travel, where to travel etc....

What do you mean by "Otherwise the resale week from Marriott combined with the points would be a good way to go?"

Thanks.

Post #35 above in this thread - Beverley info.

If you even remotely believe you NEED MORE INFO, rescind NOW!

Despite what every timeshare person will tell you, all developer sales' DEAL OF THE CENTURY are not the ONLY, BEST, GREATEST or LAST deal. Those terms will not be in your written contract that you will be struck with - but the salesman's commission check will be in his pocket (for about 5 minutes til he hits the check cashing store).

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do agree that the OP Has most probably not purchased enough points to get them what they may want. They need to check the points requirement chart to look at the requirements for points at a couple of resorts and times that they would be MOST interested in vacationing at to see what the ycurrent points requirements are for those resorts and times.
However I absolutely agree that not every purchaser's focus is on the bottom line. Many MVCI owners simply do not want the hassle and frustrations of dealing with renting addl points or taking the hours of time required to play with the availability calendar on the MVCI website.
I recently made two reservations using DC points that I had banked. The first one at OW inn August of 2014 went pretty easily but the second reservation trying to use the remaining points at Oceana Palms or Ocean Points took hours of fooling around with unit size, view, # of nights, check in days etc. I ended up getting something but had to rent a small # of points to complete the transaction. That also took time.
I now have zero DC points banked and while I will never say never I seriously doubt I will ever trade for DC points again. It is simply too much hassle. I just want simplicity. If you have the time and interest in spending hours on line fooling around with how to use your DC points then have at it.
As for me I will stick to using my deeded weeks at my home resort which is why I purchased at those resorts to start with or trying to trade with II with my weeks.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Another option for the OP to consider, if they decide not to rescind, but feel they need more points in the short term, and feel they want to vacation in full week increments, is to use their newly purchased points to book Sun-Thur and then use MOD rate with Marriott credit card to get 35% off Fri-Sat nights on Marriott.com and pay cash for those. That might also allow OP to stretch points without needing to purchase more today. It's just another option in addition to buying more or renting from others.

That said, OP could only book the 5 nights with points at 10 months out so availability could be more limited. Just tossing there idea out there so OP can consider all options.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do agree that the OP Has most probably not purchased enough points to get them what they may want. They need to check the points requirement chart to look at the requirements for points at a couple of resorts and times that they would be MOST interested in vacationing at to see what the ycurrent points requirements are for those resorts and times.
However I absolutely agree that not every purchaser's focus is on the bottom line. Many MVCI owners simply do not want the hassle and frustrations of dealing with renting addl points or taking the hours of time required to play with the availability calendar on the MVCI website.
I recently made two reservations using DC points that I had banked. The first one at OW inn August of 2014 went pretty easily but the second reservation trying to use the remaining points at Oceana Palms or Ocean Points took hours of fooling around with unit size, view, # of nights, check in days etc. I ended up getting something but had to rent a small # of points to complete the transaction. That also took time.
I now have zero DC points banked and while I will never say never I seriously doubt I will ever trade for DC points again. It is simply too much hassle. I just want simplicity. If you have the time and interest in spending hours on line fooling around with how to use your DC points then have at it.
As for me I will stick to using my deeded weeks at my home resort which is why I purchased at those resorts to start with or trying to trade with II with my weeks.

Yes but what about just booking on Marriott.com?? Hassle free, no frustration, no prepayments, 100% flexible, and fully cancelable.

You can use anything as an example but lets look at booking a summer week at Grande Ocean on HHI. This is a conservative example because Grande Ocean is relatively cheap on DC point cost compared to demand.

OF - Points Required for 1 week - 5,400

Upfront Cost - $52,920
Current Annual Cost $2,359.80

marriott.com for July 4 2014 (full rate, no discount) - $4,545.45

Let's be as conservative as possible and assume we paid cash for the points. Let's use a rate of 1% for a CD comparison. That will generate $532 per year to help with the annual cost deficit. Let's assume no price increases on anything and no increase in interest rates.

How long to break even? 32 years!

If you don't pay cash then you will never ever hit a break-even point. When interest rates start rising you also will likely never hit break even.

This is a very conservative example. My OF week at Ocean Pointe for Thanksgiving has a break even point of 99 years using the same logic.

I can't figure out why anyone would buy DC points retail unless they were guaranteed something unique in return. So far there doesn't seem to be anything unique about any of the properties in the DC. You can get anything you want without the points.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I think the "best" option right now when purchasing direct right now is 2,000 Trust Points (approx. $22,000) bundled with a 3BR Grande Vista EOY (approx. $6,300). There are about $800 in closing costs, so it's $29K all-in.

Still a lot of money, but the Grande Vista is worth 3,725 points EOY, and can be used either as a rocking trading property (that is enrolled), or as a points generator. If used as a trader, the full 3BR would be strong enough to compete for prime summer weeks, and the locked-off 2BR still would be a great deposit in its own right, with the Studio as another week for Instant Exchange.

If used as a points generator, it has a respectable point/MF value that supplements well the base package of 2,000 points. As others have noted, I still don't think this is enough points for someone who is dedicated to using their points for their vacation needs, but there is a lot that could be done with this package:

1) Use the full 3BR when trading for tough Marriott trades
2) Use the 2BR when trading within Marriott for normal trades
3) Use the Studio when trading outside the Marriott network, or for Instant Exchange
4) Use the 2,000 points to extend the reservation of #1 or #2
5) Use the 2,000 points for Sun-Thurs then cash reservations for Fri/Sat
6) Make the GV into a points generator and have 5,725 points EOY and 2K EOY
7) Rent points to combine with any of the above (excluding external #3)

For a purchaser who really wants to play in Marriott points, and doesn't feel like taking the resale purchase risk, this seems like a viable option.

Thoughts?

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
A very good option Greg, especially considering the the OP has stated he wants to trade for other TS systems thru II. With 2000 points he can always bank or borrow them for a good vacation eoy while using his GV unit to trade into other locations. Plus you got him about 350 extra points per year while saving him about 5k in initial upfront cost.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
A very good option Greg, especially considering the the OP has stated he wants to trade for other TS systems thru II. With 2000 points he can always bank or borrow them for a good vacation eoy while using his GV unit to trade into other locations. Plus you got him about 350 extra points per year while saving him about 5k in initial upfront cost.

I think the savings is less than $5k as I assume they applied his encore room costs against the purchase price. I assume that was nearly 2 grand at NCV in the summer. Also with the 3500 point purchase they roll back the price per point a decent amount.

Obviously from all the ideas above, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a purchaser who really wants to play in Marriott points, and doesn't feel like taking the resale purchase risk, this seems like a viable option.

I think that sums it up. If you really want to get into DC points then this bundle is as good an option as any.