• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just got ripped off buying Hilton Grand Vacations!!

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Still not feeling it
Maybe they said vacation investment ? I talked to a Chevy guy who said they had the best cars on the road ? was he right, no, was he ripping me off ? no, he can have an opinion..... buyer beware.... it's a salesman job to sell, a buyers job to do his research

I disagree and I feel the title is correct.

If the OP was told this is an investment, he was lied to. If he was lied to he was "ripped off."

What bothers me is he has not come back to let us know what happened. So far he has ripped us off by asking for our time and not getting back to us.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Did the OP rescind?

The OP hasn't logged in since their original post. I suppose they could have been reading the posts without logging in. The big question is - did they rescind in time? It certainly would be unfortunate if the OP didn't take the time to read these posts or their contract and let the rescind period come and go.

If that happened, would HGVC be blamed?

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Adding to the fodder, but only on TUG would someone post a question, there be three pages of responses, the original guy never shows up and nobody's flaming him!!

We are a very polite bunch compared to most in the cyber-world.

Completely off topic but that's another TUG trademark.

On topic - let's hope the guy did rescind. And that he drops back and lets us know one way or the other.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Adding to the fodder, but only on TUG would someone post a question, there be three pages of responses, the original guy never shows up and nobody's flaming him!!

We are a very polite bunch compared to most in the cyber-world.

Completely off topic but that's another TUG trademark.

On topic - let's hope the guy did rescind. And that he drops back and lets us know one way or the other.

I agree, a very polite bunch indeed! Years ago I was a forum moderator (sysop) on Compuserve and have used my SmithOp nickname ever since. TUG is very well moderated.

I tend to pass over these posts because there are so many rescind threads in here that it takes less time to search and read than it does to register and post a help message. I have a hard time wanting to help people that wont help themselves. A shame really because there is so much to learn about time sharing that resale is just the tip of the iceberg.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
because there are so many rescind threads in here that it takes less time to search and read than it does to register and post a help message. I have a hard time wanting to help people that wont help themselves.

The standard in most BBS communities is replying with a rant for the newbie not using the search function

Rescind/Up Front Fee Scam threads are easy to skip over, however the multiple threads with the property or scammers names help the search engines point the searchers here

Last edited:

rohnin

Reaction score
Sorry for the lateness!

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the responses. Actually I didn't know there were any responses because on other forums I usually get a notice in my email saying there is a response but somebody just messaged me today notifying me there were 3 pages worth! So, I apologize.

Right after that post, I went home and went over the papers, found the rescission part, and my GF (paralegal) helped me write a formal letter which I faxed to both Nevada and Florida. I got email comfirmation and also several long phone calls trying to convince me to change my mind or take another offer. Of course, I didn't fall for it this time and they will refund the charge to the AMEX card they made me apply for (really didn't want another credit card).

I think I got "ripped off" in the sense that they told me this was an investment that could appreciate over time, making me believe someday I could sell it for more than what I paid - which is blatantly false according to what I read on here. And he did tell me there were no refunds.

Anyway, after calculating everything a timeshare makes no sense for me now. I don't take classic 1-2 week vacations in one spot, I use hotels and I book pretty short notice, and paying $997/year for 125,000 HHonors points would get me about 2 nights at a Category 6-7 hotel. NO WAY that is worth it! Plus the fact that the timeshare depreciated ~90% the moment I signed it (property was worth about 3k on eBay).

I'm just so relieved I didn't throw away all that money thanks to you all, and I bought my GF a nice gift for helping me out (although we had a fight right after because we were both so tired staying up all night making sure the process was done right)

Subscribed :)

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. We are glad it worked out and that you got the info in time to make the rescission. We were concerned.

If your life situation changes and you get to wanting 5* vacation accommodations at Motel 6 prices c'mon back. It isn't investment, but when you only pay a buck or a hundred, who cares if it appreciates?

Jim

rohnin

Reaction score
You're welcome. We are glad it worked out and that you got the info in time to make the rescission. We were concerned.

If your life situation changes and you get to wanting 5* vacation accommodations at Motel 6 prices c'mon back. It isn't investment, but when you only pay a buck or a hundred, who cares if it appreciates?

Jim

true, and i would probably do it later on when i get more time off to enjoy it. i told the guy i wish they could just let me buy points, which i think would be a great deal for them also. for example, 150,000 points a year for 1k. 3 nights for the price of 2 and nobody really loses

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the responses. Actually I didn't know there were any responses because on other forums I usually get a notice in my email saying there is a response but somebody just messaged me today notifying me there were 3 pages worth! So, I apologize.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

The blue bar across the top of this and all threads has a box called "thread tools." You can open this and subscribe to a thread that you want to keep up with. It gives you an option of how often you'd like notification. This will keep you informed of all the responses to the threads you're interested in.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I just hope that "fax" was listed in the contract as an acceptable method.
Many of these contracts (and state laws) prescribe notice by U.S. Mail.
Folks can mess up thinking that they know a better way, which doesn't cut the mustard.

Last edited:

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
...(although we had a fight right after because we were both so tired staying up all night making sure the process was done right)

The stuff that follows the fight probably made this ordeal worthwhile ;)

Thanks for the update. Good job :whoopie:

Centurion

Reaction score
The salespeople know that they are selling the units at a huge inflated price. For him to even imply that a HGV membership is an "investment" is unethical.

rleigh

Reaction score
Wow, seems I have an entirely different perspective from others. Take it as food for thought from a newbie's first impressions.
Really surprised to see the comments declaring that everyone was polite and didn't flame the OP.
I saw harsh criticisms, judgments, assumptions, and speculations about the OP, what they should and shouldn't have done, how they should and shouldn't feel, even words like "stupid" and "lazy" brought in to the mix.
Even after all that, and more explanation from OP, there is still an insistence he wasn't ripped off.
Just because a customer "should know" a salesperson will lie, and instead believes what the salesperson is saying, doesn't mean the customer should be blamed and the salesperson is off the hook. That's victim-blaming, IMO.
OP was lied to and felt ripped off. Period. You can't tell someone how to feel.
Isn't it interesting how we all see things differently even though we are all reading the same words? Good lesson for all of us, I guess!
:)

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
...Isn't it interesting how we all see things differently even though we are all reading the same words? Good lesson for all of us, I guess!
:)

You are so right. That's why I like it when there are a lot of replies to a post. You don't get just one side of an issue.

I really like the post that tells us what was "actually" said to the OP in that sales presentation. :rolleyes:

lbjen

Reaction score
Glad the OP rescinded - I'd like to think we know what we are doing when it comes to this stuff but we got sucked in earlier this month too - luckily I knew to start reading the contract the second we left the place and found the rescission info right away (it's on the last page of the actual purchase agreement, right above the signature area on HGVCs sold at Parc Soleil).

I agree that HGVC aren't as deceptive as some others (I've been to a Wyndham presentation and never heard so many lies in a 2 hour period in my life). But I do think that someone who knowingly charges a 300+% premium on something, knowing you can't really afford it, by lulling you into a false sense of security by telling you all about their wife who just had breast cancer, and their 20 years in the Marines, and manages to think up some touching anecdote about where you're from to make you feel comfortable trusting them, is predatory and frankly, they are ripping you off.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Boy, you guys are a tough crowd on newbies. :eek:

Cut him some slack. Maybe he won't be afraid to come back. :p

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm shocked that HGV charges $500 to transfer ownership. Isn't that a bit high?

Nothing should shock you in the world of timeshares. This just makes it harder for people to get rid of their units on the resale market.

There are reports that there are resorts in Mexico that are now charging 10% of the original purchase price of a unit to transfer the ownership.

Wyndham charges $300. Anything over $20 is exorbitant.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.

I think I got "ripped off" in the sense that they told me this was an investment that could appreciate over time, making me believe someday I could sell it for more than what I paid - which is blatantly false according to what I read on here. And he did tell me there were no refunds.

dont feel bad.. a lot of very smart people just like yourself get conned everday with timeshare sales.. they promise the moon only to find you get the cow pie end of the deal.

i see you faxed the info to them.. make sure to mail the info as well as a fax is not considered proper notification.. mail is covered by federal protections and getting a confirmation of delivery is better..

WELCOME to tug..now that you have gotten a taste of the good life, learn how to make that dream come true.. :cheer:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
How The Timeshare Sellers Plant Ideas Without Technically Fibbing.

I got "ripped off" in the sense that they told me this was an investment that could appreciate over time, making me believe someday I could sell it for more than what I paid - which is blatantly false according to what I read on here.
The timeshare sellers plant the idea that what they're selling will appreciate by telling customers how much their official full-freight prices have gone up over the past XX years. That leads us peons seated across the little tables from the timeshare sellers to believe that we will experience comparable appreciation if we sign on the full-freight line, even if that's not precisely what the timeshare sellers were saying.

Their sticker price increases might be technically true. What they don't say is that they sometimes sell at steep discounts off list prices (even though the "discounted" prices are still outrageous), & what they for sure don't tell you is that the true open-market value (i.e., resale value) was never anywhere close to their retail prices at any time.

Nothing that the timeshare companies sell at full freight is worth the money. Never was. Still isn't.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​