• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just got receipt from cancel letter to Westgate Resorts from USPS, what now?

Dregus311

Reaction score
First time poster, thanks to TUG for helping me figure out how to fix the mistake I made last Wednesday. We sent a notarized Notice to Cancel to Westgate on the 1st and they received it this morning. We also dropped off the Owners kit and tablet at there Support building where the letter had to be sent as we left town yesterday.

My question now, is what comes next? I would assume they opened the letter at this point. How can I ensure they give a full refund of the down payment made as Statute 721.10 requires? How can I ensure they do not process the contract illegally? They signed us up for auto payment at the time of signing and I worry they will attemptto charge.

I have no trust for these people, they took full advantage of me while medicated for my back issue I am awaiting surgery for this month. Of course it is my fault for putting myself in a position that they could do so. The worst part is they attempted to leverage our primary property and not once did they explain this as I tried reading through their stupid tablet docusign setup! Then they hid the job to cancel ona CD in a pdf that was named in a way to hide it! Just unbelievable behavior. Thank God for Florida having consumer protections and cool down periods.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
They will process the rescission. It isn't worth it to them to go afoul of the law. The only way you will know is when you receive the refund. Once you find the hidden instructions and adhere to them, they are pretty much sunk.

Dregus311

Reaction score
They will process the rescission. It isn't worth it to them to go afoul of the law. The only way you will know is when you receive the refund. Once you find the hidden instructions and adhere to them, they are pretty much sunk.

Thank you for the reply. The instructions weren't much. Just to notify them in writing and date of notification would be date on mail. I distrust them so much that I fear even with very clear language that they will try and weasel us.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. The instructions weren't much. Just to notify them in writing and date of notification would be date on mail. I distrust them so much that I fear even with very clear language that they will try and weasel us.

You're fortunate to have learned to mistrust them in time to save yourself.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
First time poster, thanks to TUG for helping me figure out how to fix the mistake I made last Wednesday. We sent a notarized Notice to Cancel to Westgate on the 1st and they received it this morning. We also dropped off the Owners kit and tablet at there Support building where the letter had to be sent as we left town yesterday.

My question now, is what comes next? I would assume they opened the letter at this point. How can I ensure they give a full refund of the down payment made as Statute 721.10 requires? How can I ensure they do not process the contract illegally? They signed us up for auto payment at the time of signing and I worry they will attemptto charge.

I have no trust for these people, they took full advantage of me while medicated for my back issue I am awaiting surgery for this month. Of course it is my fault for putting myself in a position that they could do so. The worst part is they attempted to leverage our primary property and not once did they explain this as I tried reading through their stupid tablet docusign setup! Then they hid the job to cancel ona CD in a pdf that was named in a way to hide it! Just unbelievable behavior. Thank God for Florida having consumer protections and cool down periods.

That’s amazing How much did you save by rescinding??

Dregus311

Reaction score
That’s amazing How much did you save by rescinding??

Well considering they wanted $26K plus $1.2K a year in "escrow" (blows my mind that I was so messed up from my pain pills that I didn't figure this out in the middle of the transaction) it would have been $41K just in interest and principle if we took 10 years to pay it off and another $12K with the "escrow" if it didn't rise as they said it wouldn't. They are scam artists and it is disgusting. I am very upset with myself for being so foolish.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Well considering they wanted $26K plus $1.2K a year in "escrow" (blows my mind that I was so messed up from my pain pills that I didn't figure this out in the middle of the transaction) it would have been $41K just in interest and principle if we took 10 years to pay it off and another $12K with the "escrow" if it didn't rise as they said it wouldn't. They are scam artists and it is disgusting. I am very upset with myself for being so foolish.
Congrats on finding tug and rescinding

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you got out in time. Allow up to 45 days for your refund.

By the way, many resale Wastegate Timeshares are available on ebay for only $1 so you made the right move by not agreeing to spend $26K.

Welcome to TUG.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The waiting and watching your credit cards for the refund is stressful. Just know that they have no choice but to refund you and cancel.

happy waiting. Use the time to figure out what to do with $26 K. May I suggest a nice vacation with the family? There are some nice last minute rentals available. I'd further suggest you try someplace other than Wastegate.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
By the way, many resale Wastegate Timeshares are available on ebay for only $1 so you made the right move by not agreeing to spend $26K.

Thetimetraveler was just making a point about how you dodged a bullet and saved thousands. Don’t take that as a suggestion to run to eBay and buy a Westgate timeshare for $1. Just about every resale Westgate has negative value due to the restrictions Westgate places on the resale buyer. Just another reason to give yourself a pat on the back for rescinding.

Also, Westgate will likely call you to convince you to change your mind. They may leave a voice message that they must talk to you before they can process the rescission. Don’t answer or return the call as they will spew more lies trying to save their huge commission.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Thetimetraveler was just making a point about how you dodged a bullet and saved thousands. Don’t take that as a suggestion to run to eBay and buy a Westgate timeshare for $1. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Just about every resale Westgate has negative value due to the restrictions Westgate places on the resale buyer. Just another reason to give yourself a pat on the back for rescinding.
Also, you will most likely discover that finding a buyer would be difficult if you did buy, given Westgate's reputation in the industry.

Reactions: RX8

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Your title says "what now?"

The answer is spend a miniscule of the $26,000+ that you saved on the best dinner you have ever had. Filet and lobster and champagne and garlic bacon mashed potatoes (or whatever you may fancy.) Spend $200 plus and realize you saved hundreds of times this amount. Sit back and enjoy.

Then when you recover, buy a lifetime membership to TUG to thank Brian for running this site. :banana:

Wingo99

Reaction score
Sometimes getting refunded takes a while. I kept hearing 45 days, but when I rescinded it too 90 to get my money back. Though, this was through bluegreen, hope your outfit is a little faster. Congrats on saving a TON of cash!!!