• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

just confirmed Oyster Bay Beach resort in ST. Maarten

carlrocky

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our first trip to this Island. Unit number on II certificate is UUU1. Anyone know where it is, what view I might have. Im thinking of renting a car. Is it beter to rent one at the Airport or at the Resort? Its just my wife and myself for March14th to March 21st.
If you have a favorite place to eat or a best beach let me know! Thank you.:wave:

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
You will definitely want to rent a car- it is sort of far from anything, but lovely. Rent a car at the airport- they will pick you up and drive you to get the car at their lot as they are not allowed to rent them directly at the airport. We always used Michael at Unity with great results/service every time. Don't take a cab to the resort- it is a bit of a distance, maybe 20-30 minutes so a cab would be $expensive. Have fun; we love SXM.

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Post about a trip to St. Martin back in 2002. I would highly recommend Poulet D'Orleans and Dinghy Dock. But, keep in mind it is 6 years later. So YMMV and double check to see if they are still in business. Although, I would expect Dinghy Dock to not have changed.

RandyK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, look at the airport fr a car.
We are currently in St Maaren (Simpson Bay) and it was going to cost $25 for a taxi.
We ended up renting a mid-sized car from Dollar Rental for ~$250 for 10 days.
Note that the mid-sized is a matchbox but hauls around 4 of us well.

I would say you are going to drive most everywhere.
This is our 1st time to St Maarten and we have only walked to 1 restaurant in 5 days.

Another note, is seems most end up at Orient Beach. If you do the chairs and umbrellas are much cheaper to rent as you get towards the nude side. We ended up paying $18 for 2 chairs and an umbrella - down the beach towards the nude side my wife saw a sign for $9 which included a drink and access to showers and bathroom.
The sand on Orient is very nice and soft/white whereas Simpson Bay is rougher, rockier, and dirtier.

I am not an expert as we are learning as we go.

RIMike

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Resort

I enjoyed my stay there very much. Car rentals are not very expensive really..and I got a beat up one (which I wanted). I would recommend a local car company. St. Martin/St Maarten is one of my all time favorite islands. Go to SABA one day too...

sne75

Reaction score
We own in Oyster Bay. It's been a few years, but definitely rent a car at the airport. In terms of restaurants, we liked Temptation. I forget exactly where it is. Bombay Brasserie on the French side also had nice Indian food.

We did a day trip to Saba, which was nice, but I really wanted to go to St. Barts. However, the St Barts trip required a passport (Saba didn't) and we had left our passports in our room.

gjaques

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just stayed ay OBBR in July and had a great time. This was our second trip to St. Maarten and will most certainly return in the future.
Having a car is definitely a plus. We have used both Prince's and Tropical-Tropicana and found both reasonable and very helpful. I would rcommend emailing several places for quotes and set up a reservation before you go.
The main restaurant at OBBR was quite nice and food was good, but there are so many good restaurants on the island that confining yourselves to the resort would be a mistake. We really like Kangaroo Court in Philipsburg for sandwiches and salads and Lolo's on the beach in Grand Case cannot be beat for a cheap, but very filling and flavorful meal.
If you are planning shopping in Philipsburg, I would strongly recommend checking out the cruise ship schedule and avoiding days when there are more than one ship in port as the crowds can be almost unbearable.
Also OBBR has happy hour daily and if you participate say Hi to Edith at the pool area bar.
Greg

Denise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beaches

I liked Plum/Prune and Friar's. Do rent a car and try to visit as many of the beaches as you can; they all have a personality. A day trip to Anguilla by ferry, especially if you like to snorkel. Try Shoal Bay.