• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just came back from NYC. New Room Key Hassle

herillc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at numerous Wyndham resorts before and know about parking pass hassle well. However, it was the first time that a front desk staff refused to give the room keys to me. After I gave all the check-in info, credit card, vehicle #, etc... they made me to sign and put an initial on a check-in paper (which is very normal) and gave that paper to a sales (marketing) staff. I have been told that I needed to follow a marketing staff to get my room keys and she really had my keys! Really? Is it legal??
It was the first time that I received my room keys from sales team. After I refused to book an "owners survey breakfast" numerous times, I demanded to give the room keys to me as we were driving long distance and we were getting late for a special event.
Very unpleasant check-in experience though had a great new year's day in NYC.
Now I should be armed for both parking pass and room key hassle for future Wyndham resort stays.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is testing or implementing a NEW entity at the Front Desk called "Universal Front Desk Agent" or "Universal Front Desk Manager" which is combining the check in clerk and the hangtag staff into ONE person. I ran into this a Wyndham Royal Vista in November during my ONE NIGHT stay .. the Universal Front Desk Manager ... both the long time employees - Front Desk Manager and Front Desk Supervisor were walked to the door 10+ days earlier...replaced with a person from the 9th floor who used to sell timeshare points (might have been a supervisor up there).

Anyway, he did follow me around ... I was onsite from the other Wyndham resort the day before checking in ... during the RAIN ... offering and bugging me with the $100 Visa card. Finally, he offered RIGHT NOW appointment and I accepted ... he went to make the appointment and came back red faced ... and said, all the appointments had been filled ... so I asked for my $100 Visa card as PROMISED for agreeing to the update. Need I say, I did NOT get the $100 GC ... but when I checkin the next day, I had no Universal Manager following me around.

I guess I am on "the no tour list".

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Something is wrong can someone please tell those corporate dummies that we are on vacation "leave me along."

go-rebels

Reaction score
Something is wrong can someone please tell those corporate dummies that we are on vacation "leave me along."

The corporate vision is to "sell." And we who have already purchased are their target audience.

I really don't mind the sales presentations but I'd be a little POed if they resisted giving me my parking pass or key cards. I'd probably get nasty and embarrass my wife, which is NOT the way to begin a stress-free vacation.

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the next time we encounter a sales tactic like this I will respond by saying, "Sure, I always look forward to telling other potential owners how to save thousands of dollars by buying resale." I'll say it with a polite smile on my face. :D

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
They need to lay off on the stalking. It is because of their stalking that I have decided I'd rather stay in a regular hotel than any of their properties.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
when we checked in at Royal vista a week ago, they did attempt to book us on a tour, or whatever they wish to call it.
we met the manager, and she is a young woman, and I wonder how much turnover has happened since Linda's visit.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
when we checked in at Royal vista a week ago, they did attempt to book us on a tour, or whatever they wish to call it.
we met the manager, and she is a young woman, and I wonder how much turnover has happened since Linda's visit.

Maybe Chad is cross-dressing now .. from the stress?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I think the next time we encounter a sales tactic like this I will respond by saying, "Sure, I always look forward to telling other potential owners how to save thousands of dollars by buying resale." I'll say it with a polite smile on my face. :D

I'm going to Hawaii for the first time ever this year, it will take us over 13 hours to get there and if they try and mess with me it will not be pleasant. If a simple and polite no, does not work the first time then I will use the statement above and if I'm on the 3rd try of trying to get my room key or parking pass it will get ugly.

happyhopian

Reaction score
Here's what I don't get. Just say yes, then unplug the phone. I agree completely that they need to stop harassing people who say no but in resorts that have agressive sales people I just say yes and unplug the phone. One time they came by the room and wife shut the door in their face - politely of course saying we're not interested. As a general rule we NEVER answer the phone and its a running joke that IF you answer the phone YOU have to be the one to attend their goofy sales presentation. Just say yes and no show after they start missing real sales because the meetings are booked with no shows who told them they didn't want to attend in the first place they will change their program

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's what I don't get. Just say yes, then unplug the phone. I agree completely that they need to stop harassing people who say no but in resorts that have agressive sales people I just say yes and unplug the phone. One time they came by the room and wife shut the door in their face - politely of course saying we're not interested. As a general rule we NEVER answer the phone and its a running joke that IF you answer the phone YOU have to be the one to attend their goofy sales presentation. Just say yes and no show after they start missing real sales because the meetings are booked with no shows who told them they didn't want to attend in the first place they will change their program

And that is WHY they try to get $10 or $20 CASH out of you to BOOK a sales slot now.

Actually, just ask/demand that they place you on the "DO NOT TOUR" list ... by marking your Member ID as such ... of just stand by their desk and discuss strongly "Why will I want to buy from you at $200 for 1,000 points when I can buy off eBay for the same $200 $189,000 points AND still stay here with NO LOAN payment?

happyhopian

Reaction score
Who is getting $10/$20 from anyone they are trying to book a sales presentation ?? Are people REALLY that stupid? I haven't heard of this from anyone else but those are the EXACT folks they are trying to get to attend. But this provides another easy answer. I don't have any cash and my yes is going to be no in about 30 seconds. Again, I say tell them yes, unplug the phone an no show. IF you need to call the front desk I promise you it will be less time to plug in the phone and call than it will be to go to a pressi. All I can say is that it worked for me and I haven't been invited to a presentation in over two years. Haven't gone to one in at least three.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who is getting $10/$20 from anyone they are trying to book a sales presentation ?? Are people REALLY that stupid? I haven't heard of this from anyone else but those are the EXACT folks they are trying to get to attend. But this provides another easy answer. I don't have any cash and my yes is going to be no in about 30 seconds. Again, I say tell them yes, unplug the phone an no show. IF you need to call the front desk I promise you it will be less time to plug in the phone and call than it will be to go to a pressi. All I can say is that it worked for me and I haven't been invited to a presentation in over two years. Haven't gone to one in at least three.

I would never give them $20 because I know what it is for because it has been discussed on TUG many times. Sadly, the salespeople don't tell you the truth about the $20, which is why some people fall for it.