• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just bought Marriott Horizons - Harbour Lake

scarpenter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a platinum 2 bdrm week 16 floating. I know we paid a ton, basically for the financing option. We know. We get 110,00 points every other year but can split the unit if we do early for lock off.

I want to know if this week has good power within II. and despite the price if this is a good purchase.

Platinum/float and rewards program. Again we do know we overpaid but we decided to do for the overpriced rewards program and the fact they would finance it. Please respond to carpenters@rogers.com

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interested to know how many bonus points did you get from Marriott for that direct purchase? Thanks

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a platinum 2 bdrm week 16 floating. I know we paid a ton, basically for the financing option. We know. We get 110,00 points every other year but can split the unit if we do early for lock off.

I want to know if this week has good power within II. and despite the price if this is a good purchase.

Platinum/float and rewards program. Again we do know we overpaid but we decided to do for the overpriced rewards program and the fact they would finance it. Please respond to carpenters@rogers.com

This gold 3 bed room lockoff at Marriott's Grand Vista just sold for $5300
auction number 3101492027045

This Marriott Grand Vista 3 bed 3 bath platinum odd year week just sold for $6000. Auction number 270407103072

There is currently a Marriott Grand Vista 2 bed 2 bath platinum for sale with a current bid of $2700 Auction number 270413598317

There is a Grand Vista Platinum annuall 3 bed 3 bath with a current bid price of $8000 with 10 hours to go Auction number 270412518718

There are currently 40 Marriott resorts for sale on e-bay, and more are listed for sale every day. Marriott is not using ROFR on any weeks, so what you buy you will own. You will not get the points resale, but who cares. You will save over $40,000 on the purchase price alone, plus the savings on interest since you won't finance your resale purchase. Put over $40,000 in the bank after buying resale and you can do a lot more with that than points. Points are only accepted at limited places for limited things, cash is accepted everywhere for everything.

RESCIND NOW!!! Don't wait. Send your recission certified mail with receipt confirmation and sleep well tonight knowing that you dodged a $50,000 bullet. To make the developer's price worse you financed it. Never finance a timeshare for any reason or incentives. RESCIND NOW!!!

Bill4728

Reaction score
Here is a thread about financing a TS
thread

Basically it says if you have to finance a TS, you shouldn't be buying a TS.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Congrats on the purchase!

If you use this timeshare every other year and trade for rewards points EOY, you can make the high price work for you just fine. You then can suppliment your rewards points with annual points purchases to help you get to some very desirable points levels much more quickly. Before long you'll be taking first class trips using those points.

Understand that Marriott will devalue your points somewhere along the line, so try and use them as quikly as you can. Also understand that you are paying a GREAT premium for this rewards points privilege, and that if you do not use this privilege and use it often, it will never pay for itself.

ENJOY!

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I know we paid a ton,

and despite the price if this is a good purchase.

HUH?!?!?!? But price is a huge consideration when determining if something is a good buy! So I don't understand how you can admit to paying a ton and then say "despite the price..."

If you had to finance a t/s purchase then you can't afford it. Sorry, but that's how many of us feel, me included. However, if you are very comfortable with your purchase then I think the only question is will your unit have good trading power? I think the new resort will have very good trading power especially if you reserve high demand weeks on the years that you plan on exchanging.

Best of luck!

Janna

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Scarpenter,

Welcome to the world of t/s ownership. With respect to the trading power, I can only speak as another Orlando Marriott t/s owner. I own at Grande Vista. I have had great success exchanging our unit with other desirable locations. The key is reserving/depositting early the best week within your season and putting your request in early as well. I would assume Harbour Lake could share the same success as the Grande Vista has proven to me. Hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Susan

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are within 10 days of purchase you should rescind ASAP. As you know you paid way too much and you financed it which makes the cost even worse. The biggest probem with financing a timeshare is the second you walk out the door, you owe more on the timeshare than it is worth. If you ever run into financial trouble you will NEVER find someone to take over the payments.

Rescind if you can.

Last edited:

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Without knowing what you paid from the developer, can't really say whether you got a great deal. You did some things very right ... that is you bought platinum and you are getting Marriott reward points for your purchase. Did you also get a 25% discount? Marriott was running that this Spring because of the economy but I do not remember when it was ending.

We bought many of our units from the developer and we have financed some of them. We do not think it is terrible to finance albeit it is nice not to also. Ignoring the financing decsion, the Horizon brand was one of Marriott's less expensive brands and I didn't think it was still under construction. Did you purchase it as a resale through Marriott or as a pre-construction unit?

Florida rescission time is 14 days, I believe, so if you didn't get a great deal price wise, you may want to consider a rescind and take a look at their newest Florida resort in Orlando, not the Horizon brand, the name escapes me at the moment.

Regardless, welcome to timesharing!

Beverley

Rush

TUG Member
Reaction score
Florida rescission time is 14 days, I believe, so if you didn't get a great deal price wise, you may want to consider a rescind and take a look at their newest Florida resort in Orlando, not the Horizon brand, the name escapes me at the moment.

Beverley

I could be mistaken, but unless it has changed, I believe it is 10 days in Flo...

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Yes, it is 10 days- and 10 calendar- NOT business days.

That said- it would be a wonderful purchase IF you intend to use it most years and if it was discretionary income. In today's economic climate, I would reconsider buying if I needed to finance it. Interest rates are too high and, as pointed out above, if your circumstances make it such that you want to sell, that loan will be a big impediment.

What I would recommend- buy a resale unit that you can afford. Likely what you'll pay resale is close to the down payment for the direct purchase. True, you will lose the ability to trade for points but will enjoy full use of the timeshare in every other way. Enjoy your unit. Learn the ropes. Save up and, if you want to buy to enjoy the option of trading for points, buy a second awhile down the road when you can afford the purchase without having to pay the 14% or so for Marriott financing.

If you decide to rescind, follow the directions exactly.

Good luck, btw. I am sure you will enjoy the resort regardless of which way you decide.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Hi Everyone,

I think that you will be able to lock off your unit and trade either back into your resort or another in Orlando easily. In regards to going other places, I think you can do that as well but some areas will be difficult. You will also have access to II getaways for cash which can sometimes be good deals.

Just wandering that if you really want to purchase from Marriott in Orlando why not the newer resort on the Ritz/JW property?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi Everyone,

Why did you up and do something silly like this?

scarpenter

TUG Member
Reaction score
no judgement

I appreciate all the help. We are going to see what we can do. For those who say if you finance you can't afford. Don't pass judgement. It is a temporary thing.

We will recind unless we get a better deal which we are working on now. We have a bit better idea of pricing....knowing the little I know I still should have known a bit more.

Everyone here is fabulous thanks again. I will keep you posted. lol.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I appreciate all the help. We are going to see what we can do. For those who say if you finance you can't afford. Don't pass judgement. It is a temporary thing.

Please don't feel like we are making a judgement on or about you. We aren't. But there are ways to pay for a TS other than buying from the developer and paying 2-3 times more than when buying resale.

Home equity, the low/no interest credit cards, taking over someone else's payments. All these would likely be better than paying 2-3 time more just to get financing.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As for trading, I would expect it to trade only OK. If that is a large part of the reason you purchased, then I would look at other options that trade as well or better and are cheaper than Orlando (retail or resale). I'd only own Orlando for Marriott if I owned and needed a 3 BR, used it enough I didn't belong to II or needed Xmas, President's week or Easter most years.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

We will recind unless we get a better deal which we are working on now. We have a bit better idea of pricing....knowing the little I know I still should have known a bit more.

Everyone here is fabulous thanks again. I will keep you posted. lol.

I didn't mean to be judgmental. It is just that, in my opinion, you pay so much extra to finance and to pay finance charges on top of the much higher developer price so as to be able to trade for points is an awful lot of expense, especially in this economy.

You only have 10 days to rescind, but can buy again next week or next month. Don't wait until you have a better deal. If you are considering rescinding, then do so now and take your time to negotiate a great deal elsewhere. It isn't an either or proposition. Take your time to learn the ropes.

I don't ever remember reading a post from anyone who rescinded and was angry that they took the time to learn and look into things. A few opted to buy direct, most bought resale, and everyone was glad they didn't rush into things. There are a multitude of posts, however, from people who bought direct and were fell of regret later, especially those that realized how much extra they paid when they added in the financing, etc.