• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Bought at Massanutten, Should I Rescind? (April 2019)

Should we rescind while we have the chance

• Run!!!

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • Nah, you're good

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Christine B

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I found that we are very bad at saying no when we went to a timeshare presentation. We ended up buying a week at Massanutten Resort in VA for $9,900 with $372 maintenance fees plus one RCI bonus week, two gold cards, and the usual flat rate exchanges to other resorts around the world. While the promise of regular vacations and cheaper lodging over our lifetime (in the long run since we're both 30) is great, I'm pretty certain that we paid too much and wanted some advice. We have until Friday to run.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
Run. You can pick up the same timeshare on the resale market for free.
Run!!! Rescind!!! Resale!!!! I just checked EBay, $1 or $.01 for purchase, follow rescind directions and mail out certified mail, then check out Tugg, Redweek, EBay resales.

kenojg

TUG Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I found that we are very bad at saying no when we went to a timeshare presentation. We ended up buying a week at Massanutten Resort in VA for $9,900 with $372 maintenance fees plus one RCI bonus week, two gold cards, and the usual flat rate exchanges to other resorts around the world. While the promise of regular vacations and cheaper lodging over our lifetime (in the long run since we're both 30) is great, I'm pretty certain that we paid too much and wanted some advice. We have until Friday to run.

I am sure everyone would say run... but the maintenance fee seems reasonable, but if its real then sure you can get same for basely free .. what resort/size unit? for intense a friend of mine is giving away a nice RCI points unit,and he has already paid for next years fee (so a free year on top)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Timeshare is a wonderful creation that allows us to go lots of places we would not have ordinarily, but minimizing the purchase price makes it even sweeter! Rescind and read those ads Brian pointed to above.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What specifically did you buy? A converted points week at Woodstone or Regal Vista or a biennial or triennial at one of the other HOA's. What week is associated with your deed. At $10,000 and $372 in MF you didnt buy anything with very much trading power. It is a worthless week. The gold cards and the bonus weeks don't come with resale purchases but they aren't worth $10,000. Realistically they might be worth $200-$700 per year depending on if you take advantage of day use at Massanutten often or not.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
grats on making a decision you wont regret and saving a fortune!

BobDE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
You made the right decision! A timeshare is a bad financial decision if you get it wrong. Best plan is to rent before you buy and do a LOT of research before you buy!

MisaccTss

TUG Member
Reaction score

Gee...I've been trying to give away my triennial Massanutten timeshare for free, including legal fees!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Massanutten so watch ebay. A few years ago they went for about 2000 for a 4 bedroom summit 1 to 52. They slowly went to free about a year ago. Since the institution of their resort fees it typically takes an incentive even to get rid of one unless it is a prime Regal Vista unit. Typically a free years use. Do you really want to buy something for 10 grand that is worth less than 0.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Hi was it an easy process?
Rescission is a fairly easy process. You don't have much time.

"Virginia law states that you may cancel a timeshare contract until midnight of the seventh calendar day after signing the contract. If the seventh calendar day falls on a Sunday or a legal holiday, then the right to cancel the contract expires on the day immediately following that Sunday or legal holiday."

If you are within that period, you need to write a letter stating that you want to rescind. You should include the first and final signature page from the contract. If two people signed to buy, both must sign to rescind. You will want to send it someway that verifies the date you send out the letter (certified- you do not have to require a signature). The address should be on the contract. You will want to keep copies of everything you send. They will want you to send back the other materials but you don't have to send that back certified. You can reference in the main letter that you are sending that back separately.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Did you buy one?

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

We hope your rescission and deposit refund were successful. To track how much TS owners saved on TUG, mind sharing how much you saved with rescission? As half of tuggers initially bought developer/retail TS, there is no shaming