• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just bought a 4 day/3 night promo package for Hilton Head Ocean Oak, but no room at the Inn

dylanist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a red flag just now when I called the number to book my promo package and they had no availability at Ocean Oak for the next year (they are walking promo guests down the street to the Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn. Actually they said they had availability if I came down tomorrow :) I asked them to annotate my account that we would only stay at Ocean Oak and to call us when they had some dates.

Are any existing Ocean Oak owners here finding it difficult to book their vacations? What are others finding the difference is between buying on resale and buying new at Ocean Oak?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
If you want to consistently stay at Ocean Oak, you need to buy an Ocean Oak deed for the season and room type you want.

It does not matter if you buy from the developer or resale as long as you have an Ocean Oak deed. And either a resale deed or a developer deed will likely be hard to find.

It is absolutely the hardest to book, most popular HGVC resort on the mainland.

RE: "Are any existing Ocean Oak owners here finding it difficult to book their vacations?"

I have heard no complaints of Ocean Oak owners not being able to book a home week (when such weeks are protected from 9 to 12 months out.) Book at 12 months, and you absolutely should not have a problem. Wait until the club booking at 9 months out and you need to be an expert at fighting for scraps have researched on TUG how to "walk a reservation" and cross your fingers.

The "red flag" you have found is this is a small and popular resort.

If I was going to make a bet, I would bet against your being able to use your promo package at Ocean Oak unless you do it last minute and outside of prime season.

It is an awesome resort. I greatly enjoyed staying there last summer for a little over a week.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I got a red flag just now when I called the number to book my promo package and they had no availability at Ocean Oak for the next year (they are walking promo guests down the street to the Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn. Actually they said they had availability if I came down tomorrow :) I asked them to annotate my account that we would only stay at Ocean Oak and to call us when they had some dates.

Are any existing Ocean Oak owners here finding it difficult to book their vacations? What are others finding the difference is between buying on resale and buying new at Ocean Oak?

Ocean Oak owners usually don’t have any issues booking at 12 months. It can be difficult to book at 9 month club reservation. There is no difference between retail and resale except you can’t gain elite status (not worth it, in my opinion) nor can you join HGV Max (don’t know what it really entails and still doesn’t look like it will be worth it) if you haven’t purchased from the developer.

The biggest issue is that the 3rd party developer, Strand Capitol has been very aggressive in buying back deeds under ROFR.* There have been some that have passed, but they have bought back many deeds.

FYI - Ocean Oak is my favorite HGV resort in one of my favorite locations. Club reservations can be done. I’ve booked a total of 3 units over the past 2 years. I have to put the work in for it, though.

*ROFR (right of 1st refusal) is a clause in the deed where the developer has the right to purchase back the deed for the agreed price. The seller gets the money from HGV and the buyer gets their deposit (if any) back.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Marriott Grande Ocean next door is quite nice too. You might want to look into that. Platinum summer weeks can be fairly expensive but if you can travel in the spring and fall, personally I think the weather is better and the island is less crowded.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Just to add, it is not uncommon for these promos to be at a hotel versus the resort. I would even guess that is the norm.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are going there for Christmas and I booked it last week. Outside the prime season but still a nice place to hang out.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Sorry to say this but did you really expect to get prime time in a 2 bedroom for $299?

As pointed out in the other thread you started, there are only 2br units there, and very hard to find resale units with the developer tightly controlling vacancies.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received the same promotion package via email a few month ago, which stated that the stay would be in the Hilton Garden Inn.

dylanist

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to consistently stay at Ocean Oak, you need to buy an Ocean Oak deed for the season and room type you want.

It does not matter if you buy from the developer or resale as long as you have an Ocean Oak deed. And either a resale deed or a developer deed will likely be hard to find.

It is absolutely the hardest to book, most popular HGVC resort on the mainland.

RE: "Are any existing Ocean Oak owners here finding it difficult to book their vacations?"

I have heard no complaints of Ocean Oak owners not being able to book a home week (when such weeks are protected from 9 to 12 months out.) Book at 12 months, and you absolutely should not have a problem. Wait until the club booking at 9 months out and you need to be an expert at fighting for scraps have researched on TUG how to "walk a reservation" and cross your fingers.

The "red flag" you have found is this is a small and popular resort.

If I was going to make a bet, I would bet against your being able to use your promo package at Ocean Oak unless you do it last minute and outside of prime season.

It is an awesome resort. I greatly enjoyed staying there last summer for a little over a week.

dylanist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback and positive review of the resort.

"Sorry to say this but did you really expect to get prime time in a 2 bedroom for $299?"
No, I wasn't looking for prime season, really anything at all but nothing was available for the next year (except if we packed up and got over there tomorrow).
So we will be open to staying offsite, they offered 10,000 Hilton anywhere points voucher if we book by July.

"If you want to consistently stay at Ocean Oak, you need to buy an Ocean Oak deed for the season and room type you want."
We are newbies to timeshares, so when you buy a deed are you buying a particular numbered week of the year or points to book during the color-coded season?

dylanist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Grande Ocean next door is quite nice too. You might want to look into that. Platinum summer weeks can be fairly expensive but if you can travel in the spring and fall, personally I think the weather is better and the island is less crowded.
Will definitely check that out too. We are already Marriott hotel members

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to add, it is not uncommon for these promos to be at a hotel versus the resort. I would even guess that is the norm.
Agreed. Part of the sales pitch is often to highlight the difference between the hotel room you're staying in and the villa you could be staying in, if only you were an owner.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are newbies to timeshares, so when you buy a deed are you buying a particular numbered week of the year or points to book during the color-coded season?

When you purchase an HGVC deed, you get access at 12 months to your resort in the same season (platinum, gold, silver) on the same room size (studio, 1bedroom etc) designation (standard, plus, premier, grand) for a week checking in on the check in day (usually Saturday). At Ocean Oak, they only have 2 bedrooms with standard, plus and premier. If you don’t book during your home season, you can book almost anywhere in the club at 9 months as long as you have the points to do so. You would give up your home week in the process.

Will definitely check that out too. We are already Marriott hotel members

Honestly , I would really look at a resale Marriott deed if you were looking to go to Hilton Head every year. You would have less flexibility outside of your resort, but that wouldn’t matter as you wouldn’t want to go outside if HHI.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Ocean Oak is great. We managed to get a November booking when they were still fairly new, but it is very difficult to get anything there now. The developer, Strand Group, controls the unsold inventory very tightly. They are also the developer of our home resort, Ocean 22, plus Ocean Enclave in Myrtle Beach and Liberty Place in Charleston. Strand seems to put any units they control into the Hilton Hotel website for retail rental. If you really want to check it out for a trial stay, that is always an option, albeit at a higher cost!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Ocean Oak is great. We managed to get a November booking when they were still fairly new, but it is very difficult to get anything there now. The developer, Strand Group, controls the unsold inventory very tightly. They are also the developer of our home resort, Ocean 22, plus Ocean Enclave in Myrtle Beach and Liberty Place in Charleston. Strand seems to put any units they control into the Hilton Hotel website for retail rental. If you really want to check it out for a trial stay, that is always an option, albeit at a higher cost!
I looked at it for this summer. I think in late August you can get 3 nights in a row for about $770 plus tax per night; which is actually less than grand ocean which is about over $1000 per night even in late summer if you can find availability.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

They also own Anderson Ocean Club. Strand is very aggressive with their ROFR and buy back most deeds that come across them.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They also own Anderson Ocean Club. Strand is very aggressive with their ROFR and buy back most deeds that come across them.
yep. if you look on rofr.net, most fail. I lost one at Ocean 22.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
There is. Platinum season 2br listed on redweek. I don’t know if it will pass rofr for its asking price.

dylanist

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is significance of ROFR for timeshare owners or booking availability? Please feel free to send a link if that's more convenient.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
All of the HGV promo package emails I receive for Ocean Walk on HHI indicate that all stays will actually be at Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn. I would like to think they provide day use at Ocean Walk, but not sure as we have never taken them up on the offer.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an owner at OO and I just purchased the package and it says right on it that its at the resort not a hotel.

Your Pre-Paid Package
4 day / 3 night stay at a Hilton Grand Vacations Club resort. PLUS 45,000 Hilton Honors Points.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am an owner at OO and I just purchased the package and it says right on it that its at the resort not a hotel.

Your Pre-Paid Package
4 day / 3 night stay at a Hilton Grand Vacations Club resort. PLUS 45,000 Hilton Honors Points.
Is this a package you purchased after an owner update that you didn't buy from? I think HGV calls these VIP packages? Marriott and Vistana call theirs Encore Packages. The OP didn't state what kind of promo package they purchased or if they are an owner.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

This can be confusing to folks not familiar with HGVC...
HGVC uses a deeded-week and point system. When you buy, you get a deed for a specific unit + week. But that week is not yours to use; its held by "the club" in inventory. What you get instead, is a license to make reservations with the points that the deed brings with it.

Your points are the coin of the realm. You can use up your point-allotment with a home-week reservation, or you can book other resorts, seasons, type unit, or more or fewer days. To save points for multiple stays, you book a lower season, smaller unit, or L-T a week (M-F stays save a ton of points).

Clear as mud?

---------------------------------------
BTW, I booked Ocean Oak for the week after Thanksgiving at the 9-month (club window) mark by walking my reservation starting 6 days early.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Your Pre-Paid Package
Is it for OO? Even the non owner ones have promotional stays in the vacation clubs in Vegas and Orlando. They even let you stay in the ones in Hawaii but not a 2BR unit and the cost is higher than the $250 plus $150 premium the OP paid for prime season.