• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just back from Vidanta - Nuevo Vallarta

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
So this is our second trek to Vidanta NV. Stayed at Grand Luxxe (1 BR) via SFX bonus week.

I wish I could say that the issues from last time (6-7 years ago?) were resolved, but not quite. They are still as disorganized as ever. The accommodations are excellent, as always.

We were in 2 groups. We were at Grand Luxxe. Other group was at Grand Bliss. When we arrived, we told the luggage person several times that we were in 2 different buildings. He put all our luggage into one thing and gave us one ticket. So I asked about how we go about getting our luggage and he just said to tell them the 2 pieces were Grand Luxxe. ha! We get to the shuttle place and the lady says oh no, you need your own, so we go back have to find the luggage thing, move the 2 suitcases to new one and get a new ticket. He wrote the wrong name on the ticket (again). At this point we're just wanting to get to check-in. The ticket says our bags are in tower 5. We get to check-in, knowing full well our room will not be ready (it was before 5 p.m. - probably around 3:30 p.m.) Have to get through the next 30 minutes of "welcome drink" and say "no" to presentation several times. (But we give you all the benefits up front and since you've been here before it'll only be an update presentation for about 2-3 hours). NO WAY.

So around 5:30 we get to check-in. We're in Tower 3. Or so the lady wrote down on the paper. Try to find our room and I'm like, the numbers end just before our room number. Ask concierge in Tower 3, oh it's to the right. OK, so go to to the right. Nope. Ask a different person. Oh, that room # is in Tower 2, not tower 3. AUGH.
So we go to find tower 2 (which is NOT on their Vidanta app/map if you sort by lodging). More about the app later.

Finally about 30 minutes later we are in Tower 2 (supposedly one of the best everyone tells us there). Room is very nice. Has a river view (can see the ocean if you look to the right). Call to get luggage. Oh, it's in Tower 5? Why would they put your luggage in Tower 5? you're in Tower 2. Yeah, tell me about it. So the guy says it'll take about 45 minutes because they have to transfer from Tower 5 to Tower 2 and then get them. He calls back 5 minutes later and asks if he can open the luggage thingy and just get our bags so we don't have to wait that long. I happily agree.

Finally get luggage. Yay!

The GPS on the app is flaky to say the best. Reminds me of the Disney app in Disney world. Plus there's like 3-5 different ways to get anywhere, just a matter of whether you want to walk around for 20 minutes one way or 3 minutes the other. haha.

Further annoying is the info in the app is mostly wrong. Has wrong hours of restaurants. The signage around the walking paths is wrong (still shows Tramanto when it doesn't exist anymore). Has another one that says Grand Luxxe is to the left, and about 10' later another sign says it's to the right (got lots of exercise).

I'm assuming due to COVID that hours/things have changed, but would it kill them to update the app to accurately reflect things?

Oh, and a suggestion:
On the first day you arrive, make reservations for ALL your restaurants for the entire week. else you won't get in. We were just a party of 2 and couldn't get anything more than 4 days out. La Cantina doesn't require reservations, FYI.

They are also very strict about the bracelets. My sister (Grand Bliss) couldn't even visit our room. That was a fiasco. After a heated conversation, the concierge relented to change their wrist bracelets to Grand Luxxe and re-code for their Grand Bliss room entry. But first they tried to tell her she needed to buy a Day Pass.

Restaurants were good. Food was good. Some of the restaurants seemed to have a limited menu (Blue Bistro is one) but not sure if this is due to COVID or not (even here in the US most of our restaurants are still serving limited menus).

I did get to enjoy "lobster" night at Puerto Manjar. Very good lobster.

Room service takes about an hour to get your food (pizza is faster, just an FYI).
I did find the fish tacos at the Grand Luxxe punta pool to be better than the ones by Grand Mayan Pool.

Oh, the Adults-only pool by Grand Luxxe Punta (on the tip) is closed for construction.

Somehow we missed the ooo-la-la infinity pool that's to the right of Puerto Manjar. Oh well.

Now, for COVID testing. Another cluster. App said to call a certain #. The person there said they do tests until 2:00 p.m., so we scheduled for Wed (we left Friday) for 12:30 p.m. My sister asked if we can charge to room, oh yes (we all heard it). NO YOU CANNOT. You must bring cash, or credit card. And also bring your passports.

Took 30 minutes for shuttle to show up (we thought 20 minutes would've been long enough, nope). Get there, and there's no instructions on what to do. Are you supposed to wear a mask? Don't know. No signage. You enter the room and there's a bunch of chairs, a table where people are in line, another set of booths for testing (A, B, and C), and another table with papers on it. Do you wait in line first? Do you fill out papers first? Nobody knows.

DO NOT sit in the back. You must sit/stand in the front of the chairs. Why? Because they only "talk" (not shout) your name ONCE. If you don't hear it, they don't repeat it again. People were waiting for 40 minutes only to discover their names had been called 30 minutes prior. What a joke. Anyway, 2 hours later, we finally get our test. It is NOT like the cotton swabs we have in the US (or at least in our neck of the woods in Albany, NY). Rather, they are very small "probes". I'd say thinner than the non-cotton part of a q-tip. They go in probably about 3 inches and it's extremely uncomfortable (way worse than any I've had except for the one here where they poked my deviated septum). It "tickles/burns" more than anything. Anyone with kids - prepare for lots of crying. I didn't see anyone under 10 that wasn't in tears and crying afterwards, including my niece and nephew. Not the resorts fault obviously. We did antigen test.

You'll get TWO emails (check your spam filter). One in Spanish (without your DOB and passport on it) and one in English (WITH DOB and Passport #). I mention this for folks using Verifly app, as you need to have DOB and Passport # on the test results.

We got our results starting around 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. that same day.

OK, now ready to leave. Started on Thursday, asked concierge what we needed to do. What time are you leaving, our flight leaves at 12:30 so we'd like to be at airport at 10:00 a.m. Pick up taxi at 9:45 a.m. OK, bags pick up at 9:30? Sure. WRONG!!!!

You will want your bags picked up at LEAST 1 hour prior to getting a taxi. Of course, we don't find out until the next day when they tell us it'll take an hour for our bags to get to taxi, so after much back and forth, they get a shuttle with enough room to put our two bags on (again, every person you ask here you get a different answer and it's usually wrong).

Ironically airport was very quick/easy. Probably because we were there early and a Friday. No lines really. Southwest (my sister was flying them, we were on American) ticket counter doesn't open until 11:00 a.m. (just an FYI). Fortunately we got everyone into the VIP lounge (first one on the left after you pass through duty free) with our credit cards. VERY nice and friendly staff (Alejandra, thank you). She makes a mean mimosa.

The resort is even bigger than I remember, they've added additional walkways and covered some. Pools were very nice, I liked the Grand Luxxe punta pool and the one by Tower 1 (it's like 3 pools together, but the far left one is adults only).

I still think Riviera Maya is less problematic (in terms of things going wrong, incompetence, etc.) But then again, RM restricts (although maybe not as someone posted they were able to use an SFX bonus week and still have full Grand Luxxe amenities). Although this time of year, the RM will probably have the nasty seaweed smells and such.

Also, I'd say very few people (meaning guests) wore masks. We were told all public areas, so we did, but then by the 2nd day, we were like what's the point? It's all outside/open (except for La Plaza, or entering a restaurant), and we're vaccinated, so "CDC" guidelines were followed. I only saw mask enforcement at La Plaza. Just an FYI.

Our trip back was horrible (AA was late, luggage was delayed, missed flight, no flights to albany from DFW for 2 days on any airline, and then alternate flight had mechanical delay--LOL). So do NOT ride on the same plane I'm on. Got back Sunday instead of Friday. And got downgraded from paid First class to economy, oh well.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Goodness hurnik! What a sad tale and a vast downgrade from the last time we were there. At least they told you the "update" would be 2-3 hours. I just double all those numbers (we were told 90 minutes - ha) so you could have killed even more time!

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
The signage around the walking paths is wrong (still shows Tramanto when it doesn't exist anymore). Has another one that says Grand Luxxe is to the left, and about 10' later another sign says it's to the right (got lots of exercise).

When I was there someone must have thought it was funny to rotate the directional signs to the wrong way. (Correct one day then not the next)

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the plus sides, the staff were always very friendly, and the food was quite good. The 2-1 margaritas at the pool were potent (strong), so you only need 2. haha. They had a wide variety of 2-1 happy hour specials (different hours at different pools). The wait staff did a good job of going around just prior to happy hour ending to inquire if anyone wanted "one last call".

The pool staff were working their butts off. We tipped extra big this time since it was so hot and the poor guys were running back and forth.

I'd probably go again, but maybe when it's a little cooler (mid April)?
Was hoping to go to Buganvilias in Dec. but probably won't happen. Would love to eat the local cuisine (tacon de marlin and barracuda, etc.)

Oh, forgot to mention, even though the app may indicate that Kids Club is closed, the one by the Grand Mayan was open.
And contrary to the app, there is no kids menu for Gong (it's there, you can look at it, but they are not using that portion apparently). I like the Kong drink over the Gong drink (look similar but I thought Kong tasted better). And beware the hibiscus margarita. Or anything hibiscus. It's so yummy and you can't taste the alcohol and then you order a 2nd one and by the time it arrives you realize you should not drink a second one. haha

Oh, and by the Grand Mayan pool (near Samba ?) is a little hut you can order coco locos (drinks in a coconut) or drinks in a pineapple. The pineapple drink needs 3 hands because you get a cup of the internal pineapple, a cup of the leftover slushy and the pineapple with the slushy/alcohol in it. It's very good. I want to say 3 generous pours of alcohol.

Oh, you can also order a double instead of a 2-1 (instead of 2 glasses, they give you one slightly larger one with the two shots of alcohol in it). Same price.

They also will do virgin drinks (2-1) like pina coladas. Kids liked those.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Thanks for your reviews. Especially the tip about reservations. Was there any evening entertainment ?

Bill

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Wow - what an experience!

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reviews. Especially the tip about reservations. Was there any evening entertainment ?

Bill

So they had some entertainment at the Santuario but I think only 3 or 4 days of the week (I forget which days). They had movie night on the beach one night (the kids enjoyed that). They were setting up another movie night over at the Grand Luxxe Punta pool area as well (Wednesday?)

At Bistro Blue (blue bistro/whatever) there was a piano player.

We didn't go to La Cantina, I believe they have mariachi band later.

Now, depending on if you believe the app or not, (again, the app is very messed up)
Lake Show would show closed every night, but if went to the La Cantina in the app and then clicked the link for Lake Show it would claim it was from 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. with fireworks and stuff. But it would say open "tonight" and tomorrow and then closed the rest of the week. But then every day you'd check the app and it would say "tonight" was open along with tomorrow, and the rest closed. I think 6:30 was too early to start as it was still way too bright for fireworks. Sunset was I think 6:40 and twilight was after 7. We did walk by one night (it's by the big fountain area by La Plaza) and saw some fireworks, I want to say that was around 8:00 p.m.

Bring the bug spray. There's lots of mosquitos and they are fast (I thought they were tiny flies at first because of how fast they are) but the bites on my arms and legs say otherwise.

We did miss Havana Moon since it was one of our favs (foodwise and entertainment wise). Not sure what they'll replace it with. Also there's "beachland" that's only open from 3:30 p.m. - 11 p.m. I believe, so possibly at night they have more entertainment there.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Bring the bug spray. There's lots of mosquitos and they are fast (I thought they were tiny flies at first because of how fast they are) but the bites on my arms and legs say otherwise.

Those are "No-See-Ums" We take a spray bottle of No-See-Um" with us on every trip! We had those in Mazatlan and they sure attach ankles!
1623705625358.png
I also have "Off" packets in the side pockets of my beach bag.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are "No-See-Ums" We take a spray bottle of No-See-Um" with us on every trip! We had those in Mazatlan and they sure attach ankles! View attachment 36619 I also have "Off) packets in the side pockets of my beach bag.

Yes, my ankle area is the worst. Good to know that's what they are. Little suckers. haha

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your story is why we have booked at the Marina the last few years instead of Grand Mayan, where we own. . It's so nice and quiet at the Marina and none of the frustrating problems that we always had at the Grand.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Your story is why we have booked at the Marina the last few years instead of Grand Mayan, where we own. . It's so nice and quiet at the Marina and none of the frustrating problems that we always had at the Grand.
We also like the Marina MP and have talked about doing 2 weeks there using one of our 2-bedroom GL units. We can get a 1-bedroom and a 2-bedroom there for a 2-bedroom GL. With Sr. Cert, it will be awesome! I love the restaurants at the Marina location and you can snag the bus to go into town.

We love our GL units, but NV and RM are so big. When it is just the 2 of us, we would rather stay at GM or MP for 2 weeks in the PV Marina, Puerto Penasco, Cabo San Jose or Acapulco locations. When the "kids" go, we will do GL.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pro tip: Vidanta's restaurants are on OpenTable app so you can line up your reservations before you even leave home.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pro tip: Vidanta's restaurants are on OpenTable app so you can line up your reservations before you even leave home.

Well they're there but they don't use them any longer.

We used opentable to actually book Gong, and the next day we decided "better double check". Sure enough the Concierge says they don't use that company any longer, and there's no record of our reservation anywhere. So we had to use the Concierge to rebook for a different night because by then it was full.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well they're there but they don't use them any longer.

We used opentable to actually book Gong, and the next day we decided "better double check". Sure enough the Concierge says they don't use that company any longer, and there's no record of our reservation anywhere. So we had to use the Concierge to rebook for a different night because by then it was full.
Well that's good to know!

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read about changes to the restaurants. Anyone know if they've dumped the meal plan coupons as well?

ecassidy6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Manor Club at Ford’s Colony
We stayed in a 2 bedroom GL unit April 9 - April 23, and had a delightful vacation. Making an appointment for the Covid test was seamless and having the actual test and getting the results was extremely organized. We were impressed and my husband is a physician. I do agree with comments made about the app, which is pretty useless. I am hoping that the closing of some restaurants and the somewhat less than expected stellar service is due to Covid.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I know that a lot of people like the big resorts, but the small ones just don't have most of these issues. Sure, there can be a hiccup here or there - but I've never had anything near this level of comic-insanity where I stay at the Lindo Mar :) And just an fyi - at the Lindo Mar you don't need to worry about drinks with hibiscus, but La Playita's margaritas will put you down with just enough warning to let your brain say 'uh oh!' :)

No-see-um's .... when you visit the Botanical Gardens, BUY (and use) the bug gel. They ate my ankles while I ate lunch.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
No-see-um's .... when you visit the Botanical Gardens, BUY (and use) the bug gel. They ate my ankles while I ate lunch.

I was in shorts, tank top and flip flops when I noticed people putting on long socks and long sleeves. I thought it was an odd look but many people of both genders were doings so. The next morning I figured it out. It was the noseeums.

Bill

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read about changes to the restaurants. Anyone know if they've dumped the meal plan coupons as well?

No "full" meal plan currently (meaning the coupons). Straight from Nadita's mouth (LOL) and the Concierges at the Grand Luxxe building. The reason they gave was due to COVID and they're at 50% capacity (at least when we went).

They did offer the breakfast only coupons though. I think it worked out to around $18 USD per breakfast which was a bit pricey, IMO (I don't recall if it covered unlimited mimosas--haha).

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in a 2 bedroom GL unit April 9 - April 23, and had a delightful vacation. Making an appointment for the Covid test was seamless and having the actual test and getting the results was extremely organized. We were impressed and my husband is a physician. I do agree with comments made about the app, which is pretty useless. I am hoping that the closing of some restaurants and the somewhat less than expected stellar service is due to Covid.

Service at Vidanta could best be described as impersonal even pre-covid. It is just too big to be intimately service-oriented.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Service at Vidanta could best be described as impersonal even pre-covid. It is just too big to be intimately service-oriented.

YMMV. We've been there many times pre-COVID, but haven't been back yet. We made friends with a number of the folks working there in the restaurants, Joy Squad, and in the lodging areas and do get great personal service.

planada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Kauai Beach Club, Marriott Sabal Palms,Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, Cibola Vista Resort, Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach,Marriott Destination Points,Vidanta Nueva Vallarta Grand Lux
Anyone know if there is a meal plan offered at this point at Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta?

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a meal plan offered at this point at Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta?

3 months ago (in early December), there was only a meal plan available for the breakfasts. We used the breakfast certificates at Cafe Del Lago and breakfast there no longer included free mimosas. I tried to buy a mimosa but they weren't available even to purchase that day.