• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Joint ownership,with survivorship?

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
My only follow up comment is that MVCI needs better training for their associates. The VC I spoke to first was a senior vacation advisor and yet he was not knowledgeable about the requirements to handle a transfer from a joint ownership,with survivorship to a ownership for a surviving owner. Now because I hang out here on TUG I get good advice so I pushed back when sent the external modifications package. Some ownwers who do not know better would assume that they were getting correct information and spending time and money getting deeds re-issued and filling out unneeded paperwork.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
My only follow up comment is that MVCI needs better training for their associates. The VC I spoke to first was a senior vacation advisor and yet he was not knowledgeable about the requirements to handle a transfer from a joint ownership,with survivorship to a ownership for a surviving owner. Now because I hang out here on TUG I get good advice so I pushed back when sent the external modifications package. Some ownwers who do not know better would assume that they were getting correct information and spending time and money getting deeds re-issued and filling out unneeded paperwork.

So sorry for your loss

I was looking in. My II accounts and noticed there that you can designate who is primary on those accounts as well. It is simply a matter of clicking a box. HTH

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Called Owner services today to complain that I had not received anything from them in the way of instructions on the procedure to get our two weeks in my name. The VA I spoke to immediately sent me the external owner modification transfer form and instructions which involved a lengthy form and the payment of transfer fees for each week and the mailing to MVCI of new deeds for each property. I called back, spoke to the same person again and again stated that these two weeks were joint ownership with survival and that this was a internal process to take my husband's name off the account and make me the sole owner and that I did not believe new deeds were needed. He admitted that he did not know if I was correct or not. He then transferred me to a Kathryn Olson a owner relations supervisor whe confirmed that the external modifications package was not correct. All that is required is a letter from me with a death certificate attached stating that MVCI should make me the primary owner and that I should ensure that I gave them my MR account number so that any reward points earned from exchanging weeks for points were deposited to my account number. Easy peasey. So, the lesson learned is if you don't get the answer you want keep trying until you do.

Not to belabor the point but as a probate attorney I focus on clearing title after death. You have NOT cleared title by sending a letter with a death certificate. I am confident you need to file an affidavit of death of joint tenant, or similar, with the county recorder which is probably very simple to do. I would encourage you to properly clear title at some point and look into a living trust as it generally makes transfer after death significantly easier. Plus, many timeshares are just liabilities after death but having them in a trust makes it easier for the family to get rid of. At this point most timeshare companies are pretty nice, after death, and don't seek back MF's after death which can pile up for multiple years before families deal with it. However, that might not always be the case. The best long term solution is to clear a deceased person's name off the deed and get it into a trust to make it easier for your loved ones in the future. Your estate attorney should be able to handle these transactions with ease and for little cost. I realize you may be satisfied that Marriott is satisfied but long term I would encourage you to do more. Just my two cents.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not to belabor the point but as a probate attorney I focus on clearing title after death. You have NOT cleared title by sending a letter with a death certificate. I am confident you need to file an affidavit of death...The best long term solution is to clear a deceased person's name off the deed and get it into a trust to make it easier for your loved ones in the future. Your estate attorney should be able to handle these transactions with ease and for little cost. I realize you may be satisfied that Marriott is satisfied but long term I would encourage you to do more. Just my two cents.

Very good and was exactly my point. Kathy, we hope you discuss with your attorney ASAP.

Harry

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Not to belabor the point but as a probate attorney I focus on clearing title after death. You have NOT cleared title by sending a letter with a death certificate. I am confident you need to file an affidavit of death of joint tenant, or similar, with the county recorder which is probably very simple to do. I would encourage you to properly clear title at some point and look into a living trust as it generally makes transfer after death significantly easier. Plus, many timeshares are just liabilities after death but having them in a trust makes it easier for the family to get rid of. At this point most timeshare companies are pretty nice, after death, and don't seek back MF's after death which can pile up for multiple years before families deal with it. However, that might not always be the case. The best long term solution is to clear a deceased person's name off the deed and get it into a trust to make it easier for your loved ones in the future. Your estate attorney should be able to handle these transactions with ease and for little cost. I realize you may be satisfied that Marriott is satisfied but long term I would encourage you to do more. Just my two cents.

Very good and was exactly my point. Kathy, we hope you discuss with your attorney ASAP.

Harry

Excellent points!

May I add.... The (living) Trust makes it easier for the families to '..get rid of...' timeshares that have no value or too much liability for the heirs/assigns, but it also makes it easier for the families to 'transfer, sell, inherit or otherwise reassign' those valuable TS assets that might otherwise face probate, disuse or squabbling among family members etc... it's a win-win situation IMHO.