• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2020 ] Join me in my Journey - My Next Chapter

geekette

Reaction score
Omg! ! Once you move don’t move again! Remember how hard it is and it won’t get any easier! I told my husband when we moved here that even if we end up hating it I will not move again!
I am exactly opposite. I don't find moving to be so hard as to avoid at all costs. I don't like to stay where I am not happy. I lived a fairly nomadic life as a young adult, but I agree, it is different when older. But, so is my banking account, so I can hire vs do the labor.

geekette

Reaction score
I don’t know about total renovation.Thats a lot to deal with. ...

...Slowly we are still making it our own. ...

Another issue is how easy is it to get contractors? And right now building supplies like lumber are hard to get.

So all this has to be considered. But Panina knows what she and whatever she decides it will be good.
Agree with so much. reno is messy and annoying. Easier to move into 'close enough' and make it your own with minor reno.

Contractors, I don't know. Ours have kept busy, so getting on a schedule would make things harder with a big move.

Lumber has been hit or miss. A friend of mine has logging going on her property for the money and helpful path clearing, but, I agree, I did not see the constant logging trucks go by like I did when I visited last year.

The guy that owns the mill near her has been mostly idle, but he's very small, and only 2 years in business. He is currently only ordering wood when he has an order to fill, although he does have wood ready to go for anyone asking.

I'm hoping things improve as I definitely want to use him for not only the wood, but building. I feel pretty lucky, going to a place I can have that quickly and at good prices. Neighbors matter!!!

Overall, tricky time to plan stuff like that. I have always been a person seeking move-in ready, but, everyone is different. Sounds to me like there is an outdoor oasis in the works when she gets there, so, I do hope interior is just fine, and even Perfect!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I never thought I would be here now, starting a new beginning at 60. Seems unreal as my age does too. I look and feel younger but the reality is I am still starting over at 60.

I know this new journey is necessary. I always hope the best is yet to come and with the unknown ahead I realize all my emotions are ok and I just need to venture, feel and emerge happier and better off.

I was married to my husband almost 25 years when he suddenly passed in front of me from a brain aneurysm. I was 48. The loss was tremendous. This now can’t come close to the pain I felt. I was fortunate to have the love I did. Some never find it.

I knew my current relationship was a mistake a few years in but I loved my step daughter so much and felt if I left she had no chance. I always said I was in her fathers life not for her father but for her. No regrets she was worth all I gave and lost.

So now I am in a holding pattern with this pandemic. It will take time to move on. It needs to be safe.

I am splitting with my other half amicably. It definitely could be bitter but I feel there is nothing gained fighting it out. He is finally on board with doing it friendly. He really doesn’t have a choice. I think he was shocked how much I ultimately mean to his daughter. In his mind he thought she would be happy I was out of her life. He never understood the beautiful dynamics me and his daughter have.

So originally he was supposed to find a new home and move out. That isn’t going to happen. He told me if I don’t want the house he wants it and will stay. This from a man who fought me every step of the way moving always saying he hates the house and neighborhood. Now he loves it. Seems he needs to be right more then be happy.

As many of you know I love where I live. I put lots of effort to find the “perfect” 55+ community and home. It has been fixed up to my liking. Tempted to stay or even find a smaller home in the community. I had to do lots of sole searching, do I stay or do I go?

I ultimately decided best for me to start fresh not close to him. Near him and he will always want favors, help with his car, his papers,his appointments, etc., just his personality. He will expect them as we are “friends” but I know if I need something he will always be too busy. Saying no just will cause friction that will ultimately affect my step daughter. Not near, almost certain I will only hear from him if it concerns his daughter.

I have decided to go go to Florida in a 55+ community in Palm Beach County, so the search begins, lots of communities to choose from. Easy transportation to NY, GA, SC, NC where I travel often, good medical, easy to get to Florida’s west coast to my loved timeshares and Disney as well, lots of shopping, lots of singles, lots to do, price point in homes I can afford as well as friends and family not far. The negative hurricanes, very hot in the summer and the area I chose is a bit congested. With my studio coop in NYC I will have another place to go when necessary.

On a side note, amazes me how many people I know have tried to talk me out of moving on. They believe me staying in a very bad relationship is better. I take a deep breathe and realize they are afraid for me, maybe their inner fears for themselves. I just wish they could understand they should be afraid if I stood and support me with what is ahead.

So my tugger friends I invite you to share my journey, new adventures, the good and bad with me. If it is anything like my last journey it will be a interesting ride with uncertainty, anticipation, happiness, sadness, laughter, shock, etc. with unbelievable stories that you just can’t make up.

I'm so happy for you and do not listen to others that want you to do what makes them happy do what makes you happy

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good Luck. You need to do what you need to be happy...life is too short.

You would think in this pandemic the housing market would slump but it seems to be just the opposite. Both DD and DS just recently bought houses and it was very competitive....many houses sold before they could even see them. I hope you find something you like

The housing market right now is insane.... I have made 7 offers on properties and have offered full price or over asking price and have lost out on all properties

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I normaly spend a minimum of 4 months in Florida and 2-3 in NY thus my draw to Florida. I have to pick somewhere so Florida seems like a good fit. I will buy smart and if I am not ultimately happy I can always move again.

I love Florida and started visiting there as a kid in the summer with my parents... I have a ton of relatives and friends in FL and I have a ton of folks in MI that can not wait till I get a place because they will come and visit...

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well if you're looking for a house in Texas, we'll sell you ours. LoL We actually are trying to sell right now but at this price point things are slower than the sub $500K homes for sale. We're going to give it awhile longer and see what happens but part of the future plan is to sell and hit the road traveling - of course C-19 is slowing that down, too.

Seriously though, hoping something works out for you soon!

The housing market right now is insane.... I have made 7 offers on properties and have offered full price or over asking price and have lost out on all properties

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well if you're looking for a house in Texas, we'll sell you ours. LoL We actually are trying to sell right now but at this price point things are slower than the sub $500K homes for sale. We're going to give it awhile longer and see what happens but part of the future plan is to sell and hit the road traveling - of course C-19 is slowing that down, too.

Seriously though, hoping something works out for you soon!

It's MI that I'm looking for a new house.

I don't know if I told everyone my story, but I worked for an automotive company in Detroit for over 20 years, I had a pension and because of this the company did not offer a 401K plan... Fast forward to 2007 - the Great Recession. This Great Recession hit the automotive sector very hard during this time. My company went bankrupt and because the company was more concerned with lining the pockets of the CEO and executive team our pension in bankruptcy was turned over to the PBGC. Once the PBGC got it they notified us that it was severely underfunded to the point that the most we would get would be 10% of our original amount. Now fast forward to about 3 years ago and since I was the youngest in the bunch and since most of my former colleagues are long since retired and collecting their 10% of their pension, I was notified that when I turn 65 (the year that I automatically begin to receive the pension funds) I should plan on only about 5% of my original amount. So since now I will only be getting about $110 a month in pension my accountant told me I needed to take drastic action.

I'm selling our family home that we have livin in for over 20 years and downsizing to a small condo or small home that I can pay cash for with the proceeds of our family home. This will allow me to save intensely for the next 6 to 7 years and will allow me to sell this small place and move to FL upon retirement.

Every home in the last month in my present subdivision has sold 2 to 4 days after listing for asking price or above. So I'm purchasing in advance of selling my home with taking out a mortgage and then paying it off once my house sells..

Brett

Reaction score

I don't know if I told everyone my story, but I worked for an automotive company in Detroit for over 20 years, I had a pension and because of this the company did not offer a 401K plan... Fast forward to 2007 - the Great Recession. This Great Recession hit the automotive sector very hard during this time. My company went bankrupt and because the company was more concerned with lining the pockets of the CEO and executive team our pension in bankruptcy was turned over to the PBGC. Once the PBGC got it they notified us that it was severely underfunded to the point that the most we would get would be 10% of our original amount. Now fast forward to about 3 years ago and since I was the youngest in the bunch and since most of my former colleagues are long since retired and collecting their 10% of their pension, I was notified that when I turn 65 (the year that I automatically begin to receive the pension funds) I should plan on only about 5% of my original amount. So since now I will only be getting about $110 a month in pension my accountant told me I needed to take drastic action.

I'm selling our family home that we have livin in for over 20 years and downsizing to a small condo or small home that I can pay cash for with the proceeds of our family home. This will allow me to save intensely for the next 6 to 7 years and will allow me to sell this small place and move to FL upon retirement.

Every home in the last month in my present subdivision has sold 2 to 4 days after listing for asking price or above. So I'm purchasing in advance of selling my home with taking out a mortgage and then paying it off once my house sells..

another sad tale of lost pensions :mad:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

As horrible as it is what happened to your pension is is great that you are looking forward and planning and your plan is very doable. We can’t change the past but have choices on what we do today for our future.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

The recent sale of my Washington house shows how crazy things are right now. We listed at $10K above the highest price of any home in my neighborhood. Real Estate agent raised an eyebrow at that, thinking I was pushing the envelope: "Yes, your house is better than the one down the street, but is it $10,000 better?" I said "Let's find out."

On the very first day the house was on the market, there were NINE showings, and overnight FIVE offers to buy came in. Two were at asking price, three were above asking. One offer included a sympathy letter from a buyer who said they'd been shopping "for months" and had lost out on every house they'd tried to buy. We ended up accepting a stronger offer from a different buyer, for $8K over asking. (That Buyer was willing to go up in $3K increments to a price nearly $25K over our asking, if needed, to compete with any other offers. It wasn't necessary, but shows how much they wanted the house, and how incredibly tight the market was.) We were Under Contract the day after the house went on the market. (And for the record, all things are on track for a very smooth escrow, and closing will be within the next few weeks.)

It is a really wild time in real estate right now. At least out here.

Dave

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I got divorced the first time (of two) I moved into a one bedroom apartment with no phone. Cell phones didn't exist back then. All I had was a box spring and mattress (no bed frame), a bean bag chair, a pole lamp, a small table and chair for eating and a black and white TV which sat on an orange crate. After 6 months of peace, quiet and time to reflect I bought a condo and reestablished myself in the real world. In truth it was just what I needed...

George

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The recent sale of my Washington house shows how crazy things are right now. We listed at $10K above the highest price of any home in my neighborhood. Real Estate agent raised an eyebrow at that, thinking I was pushing the envelope: "Yes, your house is better than the one down the street, but is it $10,000 better?" I said "Let's find out."

On the very first day the house was on the market, there were NINE showings, and overnight FIVE offers to buy came in. Two were at asking price, three were above asking. One offer included a sympathy letter from a buyer who said they'd been shopping "for months" and had lost out on every house they'd tried to buy. We ended up accepting a stronger offer from a different buyer, for $8K over asking. (That Buyer was willing to go up in $3K increments to a price nearly $25K over our asking, if needed, to compete with any other offers. It wasn't necessary, but shows how much they wanted the house, and how incredibly tight the market was.) We were Under Contract the day after the house went on the market. (And for the record, all things are on track for a very smooth escrow, and closing will be within the next few weeks.)

It is a really wild time in real estate right now. At least out here.

Dave

Wow. What confuses me is I understand unemployment is at historic highs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is simple. People are worried about the effect of the trillions the Government is spending due to the virus. The value of the dollar is declining and the price of gold and silver are going up daily. It wouldn't surprise me that one of the reasons for the increase in value of homes is also related to this...

George

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
It is simple. People are worried about the effect of the trillions the Government is spending due to the virus. The value of the dollar is declining and the price of gold and silver are going up daily. It wouldn't surprise me that one of the reasons for the increase in value of homes is also related to this...

George

Yes, I get that. Homes are a good hedge against inflation BUT don’t you need a job to qualify for a mortgage? Some states have unemployment as high as 40 percent (like Nevada I think).

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yes, I get that. Homes are a good hedge against inflation BUT don’t you need a job to qualify for a mortgage? Some states have unemployment as high as 40 percent (like Nevada I think).

I was thinking the same, unless they are all cash offers.

geekette

Reaction score

Yes, but only for the unemployed. Plenty of remote working continues, and retirees are not unemployed, they are retired. I think many people just changed their own status and will not go back, figuring it is close enough to retirement age...

geekette

Reaction score

Yes, the unemployed lower wage workers are unlikely to be buying homes, unless they are consolidating households. I could see cracking Mom out of senior living, kids aren't going back to campus, let's buy a place we don't mind all isolating in together... could be ditching apartments, wanting equity vs toss away monthly.

I think that the family jam will have gotten to some people that have the ability to get more square footage, like their mental health depends on it.... Maybe Junior managed to graduate college and get a good remote job while Dad is employed but Mom was laid off... and sis was in college but now working various restaurants, when they are open.

it's a crapshoot. every individual has their own situation going on. A high unemployment stat is not the whole story.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Obviously, I can't speak to the economics of why other people are buying houses right now. I know why I did it. Generally, it does appear people are trying to position themselves for a "better life" than they currently have. Buying and selling is a regular occurrence, but right now the buying part is strongly affected by the selling part, I think. In the case of the Buyers of my Washington home, they're coming in from out of state, buying first, and then selling their current home in their old state after they move. They apparently have a lot of money, so didn't need to sell before buying. None of my business, to be honest, but I'm really glad it's working out for me the way it has. :shrug:

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes, but only for the unemployed. Plenty of remote working continues, and retirees are not unemployed, they are retired. I think many people just changed their own status and will not go back, figuring it is close enough to retirement age...

Us.

Dave

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh Sugarcubesea, I am so sorry!!! What a horrible thing to have happen! I cannot understand how CEOs, etc. continue to get huge salaries, pensions, etc., and the workers get screwed. I literally do not understand why these companies have no conscience and do not care about the people who work so hard for them.

I will keep you in my prayers and hope that you will be able to find a home that works for you and will help you be on a firmer foundation for retirement. My heart is just broken for you.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

I am not so sure that is the case. Unemployment is at temporary highs because of the availability of an additional $600 per week on top of unemployment benefits. When people can choose to not work and make more money than they would have if employed, that has to be factored into the equation. We cannot know the actual unemployment numbers until a few months pass after the end of the additional unemployment payments. Will businesses return after not being able to open their doors after such an extended period?

I would submit an equally insightful measure will be the number of jobs - and that number is likely to continue decreasing for some time.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As horrible as it is what happened to your pension is is great that you are looking forward and planning and your plan is very doable. We can’t change the past but have choices on what we do today for our future.

Panina: I couldn't agree more... I was very fortunate in that after I left the bankrupt company I was able to land at a fabulous Japanese automotive company. I'm employed, I have a 5% company match in the 401K plan, I'm putting the max every year into my 401K company plan and a Roth IRA, and saving to bridge into my retirement...Even thou, I have only had access to a 401K plan for the past 6 years, I have put the max in during those 6 years and god willing I can work till 65 or 66 and retire with a 401K and SS funds to my beloved FL

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not so sure that is the case. Unemployment is at temporary highs because of the availability of an additional $600 per week on top of unemployment benefits. When people can choose to not work and make more money than they would have if employed, that has to be factored into the equation. We cannot know the actual unemployment numbers until a few months pass after the end of the additional unemployment payments. Will businesses return after not being able to open their doors after such an extended period?

I would submit an equally insightful measure will be the number of jobs - and that number is likely to continue decreasing for some time.

I do not know about other states but we have our manufacturing plant in GA and when we called our furloughed employees back a few of them declined and that meant that they no longer were entitled to unemployment, once they no longer were receiving unemployment they begged for their jobs back...

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh Sugarcubesea, I am so sorry!!! What a horrible thing to have happen! I cannot understand how CEOs, etc. continue to get huge salaries, pensions, etc., and the workers get screwed. I literally do not understand why these companies have no conscience and do not care about the people who work so hard for them.

I will keep you in my prayers and hope that you will be able to find a home that works for you and will help you be on a firmer foundation for retirement. My heart is just broken for you.
Jan, thank you for the love... I have to tell you I was very mad and depressed for years and then I decided I needed to move on and get one with my life... found a great job and a good company that loves the mature worker (the average age at our company is 56). So I just now need to work till my 401K hits a number my accountant and I felt would allow me to live a simple but nice retirement...so I'm content that I will get to retire at some point...