• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2020 ] Join me in my Journey - My Next Chapter

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Some of our timeshares have good resale value. I can sell them and make money. No way I am giving him any more then me.

Ok. Then sell them, start fresh. I found starting fresh really helped me move forward and not carry any past baggage. Looking forward makes things so much easier. New memories, new life, new experiences. It’s all about you now girl!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Awesome. Yes, even being near where you truly want to be is good thinking. That’s why I was thinking Oxnard, CA. It’s because LA and Oceanside is too expensive. My girlfriend has family who own the cutest place in Fort Lauderdale. The house is old and cute as a button. The yard is big and perfect for fruit and veggies. They are a mile from the beach and paid 130 k all in. They are driving distance to South Palm Beach.

Whenever you write, I envision who you are. You are very honest with your views and it’s these views that craft who you are as a person. Being a former teacher and now in law, I learned how to size up people and garner who they essentially are. That skill has served me well on many fronts.

Really, you strike me as a person with a small, older home decorated in your flavour with a small tropical yard and a patio. There are plenty of those in South FL. Awesome you have a studio in NY as the prices there on everything are nuts. That could be your summer home if you want. Now, you just need a small, cute older home in FL that you will lovingly make yours that matches your cool, vibe personality. I really see you being very happy with that decision. Now, just find that perfect place in FL that doesn’t break the bank and you can mould it to be yours. I see you more happy with a small detached home than a condo or townhouse as the yard adds to your pleasures and personality.

Definitely detached, whereas the description of what you think my home would be I have done in the past, I am leaning more sleek and modern now but definitely need beautiful outdoor space which is more important then the inside.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
geekette, you are right that are lots of gators in Florida and some walk on two (2) legs.

...aren't those sharks that swim on the land???

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Definitely detached, whereas the description of what you think my home would be I have done in the past, I am leaning more sleek and modern now but definitely need beautiful outdoor space which is more important then the inside.

a7987c73f4d71cd9d12bb9db88a3d563.jpg

Just as an example, I can see you taking something like this and making it yours. Big yard, smaller home. Rip out those ugly kitchen cupboards, throw in your artwork and unique art treasures, put a little patio out back, add a herb garden, fruit trees and a zen fountain surrounded by Orchids and voila.

Pay less for the place, get a nice location and put the extra into making the place you.

Don’t forget the Mayan calendar in the bad with a sun and a moon next to the fountain and you now have your little spot of paradise.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Sadly, modern today is cookie cutter. What’s nice about the older areas is the locations are better, lots can be bigger and the area isn’t cookie cutter. In short, it has character and so does the surrounding area.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
You know, making a new home project that’s yours is very therapeutic. At least I found it that way. I bought a simple home here with a super location and Mountain Views to die for. I spent a year redoing it to my personality. My focus was now shifted to my new life and personalizing my home aided me in that.

One big thing I learned was (at least in my case), it was me, myself and I that mattered. My kids at the time hated me for leaving their mother (they are all adults), the in laws were no more, some friends left me and making the home mine really saved me. In essence, I was alone in the divorce trek. All I had was my parents, one of them being terminal.

I’m not complaining. I found the whole rebuilding process therapeutic and foundational to my new life. The home project was simply a reflection of that thought. I have never been happier now. I think I learned more about myself than any other time of my life and it has made me stronger and happier than ever.

Although I am saddened by your husband passing away and I am sure it was very traumatic for you, I believe it made you a stronger person. You know me, myself and I is always there when little to nothing seems left. I know this time it will be a bit easier given your past experiences which has made me, myself and i resilient.

After all, you, yourself and you are good people. I have come to know that in you. In my mind, this is his loss, not yours as you yourself and you are pretty darn good!

Time to treat you, yourself and you with a future project that defines who you are. You DESERVE it.

And....

That’s why I am suggesting what I am suggesting.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You know, making a new home project that’s yours is very therapeutic. At least I found it that way. I bought a simple home here with a super location and Mountain Views to die for. I spent a year redoing it to my personality. My focus was now shifted to my new life and personalizing my home aided me in that.

One big thing I learned was (at least in my case), it was me, myself and I that mattered. My kids at the time hated me for leaving their mother (they are all adults), the in laws were no more, some friends left me and making the home mine really saved me. In essence, I was alone in the divorce trek. All I had was my parents, one of them being terminal.

I’m not complaining. I found the whole rebuilding process therapeutic and foundational to my new life. The home project was simply a reflection of that thought. I have never been happier now. I think I learned more about myself than any other time of my life and it has made me stronger and happier than ever.

Although I am saddened by your husband passing away and I am sure it was very traumatic for you, I believe it made you a stronger person. You know me, myself and I is always there when little to nothing seems left. I know this time it will be a bit easier given your past experiences which has made me, myself and i resilient.

After all, you, yourself and you are good people. I have come to know that in you. In my mind, this is his loss, not yours as you yourself and you are pretty darn good!

Time to treat you, yourself and you with a future project that defines who you are. You DESERVE it.

And....

That’s why I am suggesting what I am suggesting.

When my husband passed our home was sold and in contract. Ultimately I purchased a smaller home and renovated it. Everyone thought I was nuts. I hired everyone and supervised and the place was me. I did the same thing with my NY coop. Again it came out great. Unless I find the perfect home I will probably buy the worse home, the best priced in the best community and renovate once again. This way I get exactly what I want.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
When my husband passed our home was sold and in contract. Ultimately I purchased a smaller home and renovated it. Everyone thought I was nuts. I hired everyone and supervised and the place was me. I did the same thing with my NY coop. Again it came out great. Unless I find the perfect home I will probably buy the worse home, the best priced in the best community and renovate once again. This way I get exactly what I want.

That sounds awesome. I like the way you look before you leap. You have the advantage of kind of knowing the best areas in FL to look too. I kind of did that too. I bought the smallest house on the street but with the best views. It took awhile to find it. However, the time it took was worth it. Buying the worst house in the best area ensures great resale too.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Correct me if I’m wrong, you originally were from NY correct? The advantage is if family are there they can be a super support. You could live there for now while you find your future project.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I’m someone who grew up moving often due to corporate transfers and I’m not afraid to move. The times we’ve moved in our marriage the decision was made and executed quickly. I love moving...it turns the page on a new chapter with adventures yet to come, new friends to make, plus room for personal growth. Plus, it’s the very best way I’ve found to clean out closets and get rid of things down to the very back! When it’s time to go, you’ll know it, and I bet things will come together quickly.

You will do great in this next chapter! I’m an expert packer if you need help! When I helped my dd move last summer (her first big move) we ended using U-Box from Uhaul, their pod moving system. It was quite economical and about half of all the other options I explored—something to consider. You can even contract through them for movers to unload for you and carry the heavy stuff.

Finally, can I just say I’m jealous to hear of your condo in NY?? My personal dream. Sounds like you’ll have the perfect balance of places to be able to go throughout the year.

I don’t play a lawyer on tv, but I think you should get an extra 3% on top of the split value of the house since no real estate agent will be involved.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Now @DaveNV, are you trying to politely tell @Panina to get off her as......ymptote?

Come on y'all, it's close enough to Friday and we need a reason to smile these days!
Grab a bud and a smile (works best in Colorado)!

Well, actually, no. But if the seat cushion fits... :D

Dave

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@Panina, one thing you might want to factor in is house prices in Palm Beach County (frankly everywhere) May drop once the forbearance shows it’s ugly head in 2021. Real Estate experts I know suggest when folks can’t repay forebearance, they will sell. This may tilt supply and demand for homes resulting in some smokin deals.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you remodel a home, hired and supervised all the contractors, you can do anything.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Correct me if I’m wrong, you originally were from NY correct? The advantage is if family are there they can be a super support. You could live there for now while you find your future project.

Yes originally from NY. As some don’t see the draw to Florida, I don’t to NY. A visit here and there is ok but I really do not like living there. Super support from immediate family never really had. They rely on me. Living there now is not a good option for me. It would be a constant campaign that I should not move to Florida. Already have it on the phone.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m someone who grew up moving often due to corporate transfers and I’m not afraid to move. The times we’ve moved in our marriage the decision was made and executed quickly. I love moving...it turns the page on a new chapter with adventures yet to come, new friends to make, plus room for personal growth. Plus, it’s the very best way I’ve found to clean out closets and get rid of things down to the very back! When it’s time to go, you’ll know it, and I bet things will come together quickly.

You will do great in this next chapter! I’m an expert packer if you need help! When I helped my dd move last summer (her first big move) we ended using U-Box from Uhaul, their pod moving system. It was quite economical and about half of all the other options I explored—something to consider. You can even contract through them for movers to unload for you and carry the heavy stuff.

Finally, can I just say I’m jealous to hear of your condo in NY?? My personal dream. Sounds like you’ll have the perfect balance of places to be able to go throughout the year.

I don’t play a lawyer on tv, but I think you should get an extra 3% on top of the split value of the house since no real estate agent will be involved.
I just ordered uhaul boxes so I can start packing. No need to be overwhelmed later. Will go much lighter this time, take, give to step daughter, sell on eBay, leave behind if he want, donate.

I saw the ubox and that might work. You can actually hire them to load, they arrange it to get to your destination and another crew can unload. It will be interesting to see the difference in pricing.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Panina, one thing you might want to factor in is house prices in Palm Beach County (frankly everywhere) May drop once the forbearance shows it’s ugly head in 2021. Real Estate experts I know suggest when folks can’t repay forebearance, they will sell. This may tilt supply and demand for homes resulting in some smokin deals.

I think there will be a sweet spot once the virus numbers stabilize. Those who have been waiting to move and did not list their houses probably will so initially there should be more inventory. The 55+ communities will not be as negatively affected if there is a downturn.

geekette

Reaction score
Awesome. Yes, even being near where you truly want to be is good thinking. That’s why I was thinking Oxnard, CA. It’s because LA and Oceanside is too expensive. My girlfriend has family who own the cutest place in Fort Lauderdale. The house is old and cute as a button. The yard is big and perfect for fruit and veggies. They are a mile from the beach and paid 130 k all in. They are driving distance to South Palm Beach.

Whenever you write, I envision who you are. You are very honest with your views and it’s these views that craft who you are as a person. Being a former teacher and now in law, I learned how to size up people and garner who they essentially are. That skill has served me well on many fronts.

Really, you strike me as a person with a small, older home decorated in your flavour with a small tropical yard and a patio. There are plenty of those in South FL. Awesome you have a studio in NY as the prices there on everything are nuts. That could be your summer home if you want. Now, you just need a small, cute older home in FL that you will lovingly make yours that matches your cool, vibe personality. I really see you being very happy with that decision. Now, just find that perfect place in FL that doesn’t break the bank and you can mould it to be yours. I see you more happy with a small detached home than a condo or townhouse as the yard adds to your pleasures and personality.

heck, you've almost got me moving to FL with the cute little house with eclectic style !

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but I thought I had replied to this post.

Thank you for sharing your new chapter in life with us. I wish you the best and happiness. Sounds like a huge weight has already been lifted from your shoulders with your decision even though you are just beginning this journey.

I hope you find your place soon and can move on. We are all rooting for you.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... The 55+ communities will not be as negatively affected if there is a downturn.

OTOH, more 55+ peep tend to die from COVID-19, so maybe that will increase the inventory.
Just looking on the bright side.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Maine and Hawaii are the 2 states I haven't made it to. I am hoping for lobersterfest next summer (I think first week in August?) I can't pencil in anything this year, but I was today reading about too many lobsters, not enough market, and I thought I could do my part to help that situation...

Both beautiful, though for some reason Maine never beckoned me to go back again after my one and only visit. But I was only on the coast of Maine and Acadia National Park. Had dinner at a restaurant further northwest near the N.H. border once also. Thinking I might like Moosehead Lake.

Now- Hawaii is another story- a dream world. Been there twice. But I’m afraid of tsunamis and it is so way far away from the east coast.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I normaly spend a minimum of 4 months in Florida and 2-3 in NY thus my draw to Florida. I have to pick somewhere so Florida seems like a good fit. I will buy smart and if I am not ultimately happy I can always move again.

Omg! ! Once you move don’t move again! Remember how hard it is and it won’t get any easier! I told my husband when we moved here that even if we end up hating it I will not move again!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
a7987c73f4d71cd9d12bb9db88a3d563.jpg

Just as an example, I can see you taking something like this and making it yours. Big yard, smaller home. Rip out those ugly kitchen cupboards, throw in your artwork and unique art treasures, put a little patio out back, add a herb garden, fruit trees and a zen fountain surrounded by Orchids and voila.

Pay less for the place, get a nice location and put the extra into making the place you.

Don’t forget the Mayan calendar in the bad with a sun and a moon next to the fountain and you now have your little spot of paradise.

I don’t know about total renovation.Thats a lot to deal with. I know when we looked one thing I knew was that no way would I redo a kitchen or bathroom again. We just totally upgraded our former house and at 63 years old- and him 66- wasn’t going through all that again. Bad enough uprooting and moving.

So getting a brand new cookie cutter house for the price we got it for was better than that to me. Slowly we are still making it our own. You would be amazed how different everyone in the neighborhood with the same style house has made theirs. One has a Victorian flair. One has a modern flair. One has a traditional flair. Ours is cottage/farmhouse/rustic/eclectic. Lol!

Another issue is how easy is it to get contractors? And right now building supplies like lumber are hard to get.

So all this has to be considered. But Panina knows what she wants and whatever she decides it will be good.

geekette

Reaction score
Both beautiful, though for some reason Maine never beckoned me to go back again after my one and only visit. But I was only on the coast of Maine and Acadia National Park. Had dinner at a restaurant further northwest near the N.H. once also. Thinking I might like Moosehead Lake.

Now- Hawaii is another story- a dream world. Been there twice. But I’m afraid of tsunamis and it is so way far away from the east coast.
Acadia is my exact destination!

Hawaii from midwest is also pricey long flight!

We were in Cabo San Lucas when a hurricane was hitting. I trust the locals to guide the tourists. That trip had a lot of unusual elements to it. It was a bit creepy to be in a foreign country for something like that, but, we got lucky. The hit was not as strong and farther up Baja.