• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jet Blue and Marriott Rewards

DCBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from Jet Blue this morning indicating that I can earn points in the Jet Blue frequent flyer program if I join the Marriott rewards program. It also looks like I can earn points for any charges made to the Marriott Vacation Club. Sounds like it might be a good deal for folks like me who only own resale units and have a unit where Jet Blue has service.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I got that too this morning, and was wondering if we were better off directly getting miles or using the points for travel packages, including perhaps miles on Jet Blue- any thoughts from the points experts here?

Finally took the plunge and realized I was an idiot for not getting the Marriott cc- time to teach an old dog new tricks I guess :eek: - so awaiting my new card. They instantly approved it, but no indication of the initial credit line. So I was planning on accruing those MR points and now JetBlue adds to my cc confusion (which is why I hadn't done anything even though I realized about a year ago that my BOA card's program had changed so that their rewards were barely worthwhile (which was a shame, because for years they had been good but slowly devalued more and more).

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on how often you stay

Depends on how often you stay in hotel.

With points you get 10X spend + Bonus for status + check-in Bonus.
Plus with MegaBonus, it is easy to get lots of points.

So if you stay a lot then go for points and convert to miles or travel package.
(Don't forget the cheaper 5 day package)

Also, most of the airlines (not sure about JetBlue) usually have a promotion sometime during the year when you get bonus miles for a conversion transfer.

That said, since I travel so much. I do miles during bonus miles periods where there is no points bonus (like right now).

You can switch back and forth as often as you like.

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got that too this morning, and was wondering if we were better off directly getting miles or using the points for travel packages, including perhaps miles on Jet Blue- any thoughts from the points experts here?

Finally took the plunge and realized I was an idiot for not getting the Marriott cc- time to teach an old dog new tricks I guess :eek: - so awaiting my new card. They instantly approved it, but no indication of the initial credit line. So I was planning on accruing those MR points and now JetBlue adds to my cc confusion (which is why I hadn't done anything even though I realized about a year ago that my BOA card's program had changed so that their rewards were barely worthwhile (which was a shame, because for years they had been good but slowly devalued more and more).

Just paying your maintenance fees on the card , you can rack up a decent amount of points at 5 points per $ spent. The credit card has been the main reason I've been able to attain platinum status with marriott over the past few years.

Last edited:

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on how often you stay in hotel.

With points you get 10X spend + Bonus for status + check-in Bonus.
Plus with MegaBonus, it is easy to get lots of points.

So if you stay a lot then go for points and convert to miles or travel package.
(Don't forget the cheaper 5 day package)

Also, most of the airlines (not sure about JetBlue) usually have a promotion sometime during the year when you get bonus miles for a conversion transfer.

That said, since I travel so much. I do miles during bonus miles periods where there is no points bonus (like right now).

You can switch back and forth as often as you like.

I usually buy a travel package each year when US Air offers their transfer bonus for hotel points. It's been a 50% bonus each time, so I've been able to turn 120,000 US air miles into 180,000 miles.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I usually buy a travel package each year when US Air offers their transfer bonus for hotel points. It's been a 50% bonus each time, so I've been able to turn 120,000 US air miles into 180,000 miles.
Really? When did you do this and how many times? All the bonus promotions I have seen specifically exclude miles you get from travel packages and apply only to simple transfers of points into miles.

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did this twice. US air has their hotel miles transfer promotion in May usually. Everyone that transfered miles got a 25% bonus, if you had a us air credit card you got an additional 25% and if you were elite with US air you got another 25%. So you can get up to a 75% bonus.

I never heard of travel package miles not eligible and i know alot of folks on flyer talk do this.