• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

January weekend getaway

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our school system has a 4 day weekend at the end of January. I am looking for a place we can drive to. Availabilities seem really good with RCI and II. But I am not sure what we can do in January. Here are some of the places I considered: Williamsburg, VA beach, Pocono, Hilton Head, Atlantic City, North Carolina...

I'd appreciate suggestions of your favorite getaway locations for off season.

Thanks,

Jane

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You didn't mention Massanutten; maybe you've been there, done that

It's a short drive from Northern Virginia and there's so much to do both indoor and outdoor for families. There's probably extra vacations available with RCI and it's probably a very easy exchange. I can't comment really on the Poconos. In 24 years of timesharing, the Poconos was the only negative timesharing experience I've had, so I've never been back. As far as beaches (Virginia, North Carolina), it's off-season and really not much going on or much to see. Williamsburg has things to see of historical value, but naturally Busch Gardens and Water Country aren't available. Plus it will probably be cold when trying to walk around and see Williamsburg. Whereas Massanutten has the indoor waterpark, indoor pools and rec centers, planned activities, as well as snow tubing, snowboarding and skiing.

OOPS, nevermind, I see in another thread that you will be at Massanutten the week after Xmas and that you are an owner there. I'm sure you probably don't want to visit twice in the same month. Oh, well!

Last edited:

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you ski? NC has some nice resorts in the Boone area (I like Chetola the best) and you can ski at Sugar or Beech....

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you ski? NC has some nice resorts in the Boone area (I like Chetola the best) and you can ski at Sugar or Beech....

Also skiing is available at Appalachian ski resort and tubing is available at Hawksnest. All 4 resorts are within 25 miles of each other. Blue Ridge Village and Highlands at Sugar Mountain (both are great timeshares IMO) are within 2 miles of Sugar Mountain, 5 miles of Hawksnest, about 9 miles from Beech mountain, and about 20 miles from Appalachian. Chetola is about 5 miles from Appalachian but 20 to 25 miles from Hawksnest, Sugar Mn, and Beech. Blue Ridge Village and Highlands are more centrally located than Chetola, and although Chetola is nice, I prefer these two resorts for amenities and location (Blue Ridge Village is my favorite but I am prejudiced since I own there). Blue Ridge Village has a great indoor pool with high ceilings and a glass front giving a panoramic view of the mountains while you swim or soak in the hot tub.

Sugar mountain is the largest ski resort in north carolina. I will be Skiing at Sugar Mountain/beech Mountain/Applachian ski resorts December 14'th to 18th and tubing at hawksnest. If you like winter sports you will love this area in January. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

http://www.goskinc.com/locator/

http://www.appskimtn.com/

http://www.skisugar.com/conditions/

http://www.skibeech.com/

http://www.hawksnest-resort.com/

Last edited:

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

I checked out the Sugar Mountain web site. It does look really good. The price for lift ticket and rental is reasonable too. However, I did a quick yahoo map and found it is over 7 hours drive. That would be a little too far for a weekend. How is ski condition around Christmas time? We do a family reunion around Xmas time in driving distance every year. We are always looking for new places to visit.

Please keep all suggestions coming...

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about Chalet High?

I found Chalet High less than 2 hours from home. How far is the resort from the ski area?

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

I checked out the Sugar Mountain web site. It does look really good. The price for lift ticket and rental is reasonable too. However, I did a quick yahoo map and found it is over 7 hours drive. That would be a little too far for a weekend. How is ski condition around Christmas time? We do a family reunion around Xmas time in driving distance every year. We are always looking for new places to visit.

Please keep all suggestions coming...

Conditions are usually good in this area around Christmas time, but this is east coast skiing and the conditions aren't as predictable as out west. As you get closer to the family reunion check the conditions and make your decision then.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI,
on Williamsburg...Colonial Williamsburg is closing all Taverns from January through March. This has caused an uproar in Williamsburg by putting well over 100 people out of work for three months.

Many other historical activities will be limited.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Chalet High a few years ago

I found Chalet High less than 2 hours from home. How far is the resort from the ski area?

It's more or less in the same area as Massanutten. I think it's about 35 miles away. I would rather go to Massanutten. There is so much more to do at Massanutten. We were happy with the unit at Chalet High, but I would rather be in the units at Massanutten. There just didn't seem like much to do in the Chalet High area or at the resort.

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're traveling with kids I wouldn't consider Atlantic City during cold weather months.

Edit: I wouldn't consider AC during warm weather months either, but YMMV.

Last edited:

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're traveling with kids I wouldn't consider Atlantic City during cold weather months.

Edit: I wouldn't consider AC during warm weather months either, but YMMV.

Thanks for the suggestions. Atlantic City is a good location for us especially since we have relatives who can meet us for the weekend. My boys are 13 and 10. What can they do at Atlantic City? Other kids are younger (8 and under).