• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

It's not just Rental Car rates - check your Airfare, too

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We Tuggers seem to make a habit of trying to rebook Rental Cars to get lower rates. Some will show savings on a rental in the hundreds of dollars. I recommend checking your airfare too - sometimes it pays off.

I bought airfare last Fall for a Summer 2020 trip to Hawaii. I hadn't thought much about it, but yesterday just for the heck of it, I checked current ticket prices on the same flights. To my surprise, the current fare was much lower than what I'd paid. I decided to see if I could get a credit back for the overpayment. So I called Alaska Airlines. The agent was a bit cool at first, saying, "We don't usually give credit back for airfare price changes. But give me your confirmation code and I'll see what i can do."

When she came back on the line, she said, "Well I'm surprised. But yes, in this case you CAN get an adjustment of the ticket price. Your original ticket was a Refundable Fare. We can adjust the ticket to be a Non-Refundable Fare, and refund you the difference on your credit card." I said that would be great, and I waited while she did the magic she needed to do. After several minutes, everything was done. I thanked her, and we hung up.

The bottom line? I got a refund of $363. Definitely worth a phone call. :cheer:

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I remember the good old days (about 2 years ago) when Alaska had the low price guarantee. It was one of the things that went away after they bought Virgin America.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The bottom line? I got a refund of $363. Definitely worth a phone call. :cheer:
Dave
Would you have gotten the same lower price originally if you bought the non-refundable fare then?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Would you have gotten the same lower price originally if you bought the non-refundable fare then?

No. I had purchased the lowest fare available at the time. I didn’t know it was a refundable fare.

@geist1223: They still have Lowest Fare links on their website, but it talks about “Within 24 hours”, and you need to pay with your Alaska Air VISA card. Not sure of all the details.

Dave

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Great advice and good to know about Alaska Air. I'm going to check our flights for this summer (Anchorage to King Salmon which were like $380/person)!

P.S. (editted) YIKES . . . ours have jumped from $358pp to over $440 . . . so we're in good shape!

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I always check, and re-check any reservations we have with SW. Sometimes I'll do the checks randomly, and I usually check whenever I see there is a sale. What is great about SW is there is no change charge and no penalty to making changes. If the flights were made with points the points go immediately back into my account. If I paid for the flight I get a credit. Over the holidays I had purchased a ticket for our older dd to come visit. Due to the dates the flights were quite expensive. But by checking I managed to get $100 refund (that's right a refund not just a credit, I must have bought a refundable) and also got a credit, which dd used as she had to make another change to her flights. For her flight to Maui I've gotten quite a few points returned.

I generally don't check other airlines as their change policies aren't so lenient.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I really like Alaska, but that's not a glowing review of their customer service agents. She should have immediately known you had a refundable fare and that you could get the better price.

In reality, no magic was required other than canceling the refundable fare and booking at the lower fare. This can also be done online. She really shouldn't have been surprised at all.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
The DOT requires all airlines to allow you to cancel/change your airfare for free within 24 hours of booking if it is made at lest 7 days in advance of the flight.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
I always check, and re-check any reservations we have with SW. Sometimes I'll do the checks randomly, and I usually check whenever I see there is a sale. What is great about SW is there is no change charge and no penalty to making changes. If the flights were made with points the points go immediately back into my account. If I paid for the flight I get a credit. Over the holidays I had purchased a ticket for our older dd to come visit. Due to the dates the flights were quite expensive. But by checking I managed to get $100 refund (that's right a refund not just a credit, I must have bought a refundable) and also got a credit, which dd used as she had to make another change to her flights. For her flight to Maui I've gotten quite a few points returned.

I generally don't check other airlines as their change policies aren't so lenient.
Love Southwest, we always use points also!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The DOT requires all airlines to allow you to cancel/change your airfare for free within 24 hours of booking if it is made at lest 7 days in advance of the flight.
True. But many times the price changes don't come within 24 hours.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Got the official notice from Alaska Airlines this morning that they've issued my refund. And it was two bucks more than I wrote down. So it's $365 and change. I'll take it.

@davidvel: I hadn't given her my Confirmation Number when she said that. And by "magic," I meant she had to go type in whatever had to be typed in to make the change. I didn't mean to imply I got something unusual, or that she did something just for me. She was just doing her job.

My larger point of this thread is to recommend people check their existing reservations to ensure they're getting the best bang for the buck. In my case here, I didn't know I had a refundable fare. Imagine my surprise to check the current fares, and to discover tickets on the same flight selling for nearly half of what I had paid. My refund of the difference brought the ticket price down to what I consider more typical of fares to Hawaii. And I've already used the refunded amount on my Alaska card to purchase a ticket for another vacation getaway. Win-win for me. :D

Dave

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
We had a flight booked on Delta last year, using miles. I think it was originally 32,000 miles each. I checked again several months later and the same flight was 16K. I called to complain/ask about options and we were able to rebook the flight for the $150 change fee (one-way ticket). I got 32000 miles back for $300, which wasn't ideal but, hey it's 32,000 miles.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Got the official notice from Alaska Airlines this morning that they've issued my refund. And it was two bucks more than I wrote down. So it's $365 and change. I'll take it.

@davidvel: I hadn't given her my Confirmation Number when she said that. And by "magic," I meant she had to go type in whatever had to be typed in to make the change. I didn't mean to imply I got something unusual, or that she did something just for me. She was just doing her job.

My larger point of this thread is to recommend people check their existing reservations to ensure they're getting the best bang for the buck. In my case here, I didn't know I had a refundable fare. Imagine my surprise to check the current fares, and to discover tickets on the same flight selling for nearly half of what I had paid. My refund of the difference brought the ticket price down to what I consider more typical of fares to Hawaii. And I've already used the refunded amount on my Alaska card to purchase a ticket for another vacation getaway. Win-win for me. :D

Dave
Glad you got your refund! I just wanted people to know if they have a refundable fare they can always get a price reduction. Good that yours was. (Cheapest fares were probably sold out when you bought and they added more in. )

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
<<I always check, and re-check any reservations we have with SW. >>
Luanne:
I wanted to thank you for this tip. This past Monday, I made reservations for Orlando. I noticed your post above on 2/19/20. Today, 2/22/20 I decided to double check the fares for our flights. We received a credit of $86 per person (x 3 = $258), for less than 5 minutes work.
Thanks to you!

Dave:
thanks to you also, for starting this thread. I haven't typically checked the airfare afterwards, since many have exorbitant change fees that are a huge hurdle towards getting any credit back. It was a reminder that it's worth checking.