• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Its Flu Shot Time

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, its that time of year. If you normally get flu shots, or your doctor recommends it, now is the time.

There is now a high dose flu shot for seniors (four times the regular dose). For various reasons my doctor suggested I get this, even though he only received regular doses from CDC. So I went to the grocery store and got my shot there, and also got a 10% discount on my grocery bill :clap:

If you are over 65 and had the regular pneumonia shot but not the new one yet (and had the first one over a year ago), you should get a Prevnar shot. They can do it at the same time as the flu shot, and there is no charge if you have Medicare.

Oh, and if you haven't had a Shingle shot and you're over 60, you might want to think about that, too, unless you never had chicken pox (in which case you don't need it).

I'm just a ball of sunshine today, aren't I? But I know that, sadly, some of you no longer have mommies, and somebody has to tell ya'.

Fern

visor

Reaction score
And FluMist (intranasal delivery) will be more widely available this year for children and those who have an aversion to needles.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I've gone into CVS twice now to try to get a flu shot. First time was going to be over an hour wait, second time (even though they had signs out saying "Flu shots today") they weren't giving them. Turns out they were down a tech and slammed. I'll keep trying.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had occasion to go to our hospital's 'Urgent Care' facility last week as my regular doc was away. If you have access to one of those, operated by your regular medical system, not just a 'Doc-in-a Box', they're great. Same co-pay as a regular office call, and access to all your records and full hospital facility. You may just see a Physician's Assistant or Nurse Practitioner, but there is an on staff MD if needed. The object is to head off Emergency Room visits.

They are still waiting for their supply of this year's flu vaccine, and expect a flood of patients after Oct 1.

I asked my doc about the Prevnar13 pneumonia vaccine. They have stopped administering it willy-nilly to people who've already had a pneumonia vaccine. He said there is no independent evidence that is provides any additional protection over the older vaccine. The only reports are from the manufacturer of Prevnar 13. His advice, wait and see if independent evidence of effectuality pan out.

+1 on getting the shingles vaccine if you are over 60 and have had chicken pox.

Be well!

Jim

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
we got ours at Walgreens on Thursday. We also had our Prevnar 13 shots and our Shingles too

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is now a high dose flu shot for seniors (four times the regular dose).

Interesting - does this increase the likelihood of side-effects?

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in the Mid-Atlantic region, and our doctor always recommends we wait until late October/early November to get our flu shots. Her reasoning is, the shot provides coverage for only so long, and we are more likely to encounter the flu mid to later in the season, than early on. So we always wait until then. So far, it SEEMS to have worked, though there is no way to really tell.

She also recommended the Prevnar 13 shot for me, since I have respiratory vulnerabilities. But I need to check with my insurance to see if it is covered. Glad someone mentioned it. I'll add it to my list of things to do!

Took care of the Shingles vaccination just a few months ago.

Thanks for posting the reminders!

visor

Reaction score
What side effects?
Well, a regular flu shot already can cause myalgias, fever, etc (ie flu like symptoms), so a high dose shot that is 4x the regular dose... well, you can imagine...

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
So I went to the grocery store and got my shot there, and also got a 10% discount on my grocery bill :clap:

Which grocery store?
I like 10% off and I was planning to get a flu shot soon :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Which grocery store?

CVS offers a 20% off coupon when you get a flu shot there.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 97 year old mother has never had a flu shot and has never had the flu.

I haven't had a flu shot in about 45 years, but I did have the flu about 42 years ago, which I survived.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My 97 year old mother has never had a flu shot and has never had the flu.

I haven't had a flu shot in about 45 years, but I did have the flu about 42 years ago, which I survived.

You are both very fortunate.

Last edited:

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only get a flu shot because I'm required to, volunteering at a hospital. I hope this year's shot is more effective than the one I got last year.

visor

Reaction score
I only get a flu shot because I'm required to, volunteering at a hospital. I hope this year's shot is more effective than the one I got last year.
Yeah, last year was a hit and miss one, only about 6o something percent effective.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Last year's was only about 13% effective. This year's is expected to be much better. Here: http://wfla.com/2015/09/20/new-flu-shot-more-effective-than-last-year/

And here's a study on the high dose flu vaccine for the elderly: http://medicalresearch.com/infectio...erly-reduced-overall-health-care-costs/17650/

Jim

I got the shot last year and the flu. First time that's happened.

We get ours at Rite Aid. Bills right to insurance.

One time I had a TERRIBLE case of the flu. I will get a shot every year to try to avoid that happening ever again.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Evidentially not, or at least not for me. I have some health challenges, which my doctor is aware of, and he told me I should get one.

Fern

Interesting - does this increase the likelihood of side-effects?

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Von's, the ones with a pharmacy in them. I think Smiths with pharmacies as well.

Fern

Which grocery store?

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Mom. Now I have to phone MY mom to remind her to phone her doctor to get her and dad in there and call myself for Greg and I.

I think I'll get going on getting the shingles shot too. We get 80% reimbursed with our extended medical and I can't afford to get sick - not that anybody can actually afford that.

The years tick by, don't they?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thanks, Mom! :)

Sent from my iPad

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Von's, the ones with a pharmacy in them. I think Smiths with pharmacies as well.

Fern

Thanks!

I'm going to stack this 10% with my credit card that offers 6% for groceries and get a nice discount on a bunch of food :) Big grocery trip here I come!

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
The age for shingles vaccine has dropped to 50. The shingles vaccine was approved for those 50 and over in March of 2011. I was told this last time I was at my MD's and got the vaccine.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is now a high dose flu shot for seniors (four times the regular dose)....

If you are over 65 and had the regular pneumonia shot but not the new one yet (and had the first one over a year ago), you should get a Prevnar shot....

Oh, and if you haven't had a Shingle shot and you're over 60, you might want to think about that, too....

I've had them all. Don't know if I needed them or not. On the other hand I've never had the flu, pneumonia or shingles!

George