• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

It pays to keep searching for car rentals

copper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just lowered my May 10 day convertible rental by $40. $233 for the 10 days now... plus they through in an extra driver for no charge, don't think I'm going to get it much lower than that though.

Now if my two December weeks for OGG and HNL rentals would just go down.

copper the happy camper :)

Detailor

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
copper said:
Just lowered my May 10 day convertible rental by $40. $233 for the 10 days now... plus they through in an extra driver for no charge, don't think I'm going to get it much lower than that though.

Now if my two December weeks for OGG and HNL rentals would just go down.

copper the happy camper :)

copper-
That's a nice price.
You may have already mentioned it, but which rental company are you using to get this price? Any coupons included?
Thanks,
Dick Taylor

copper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Detailor said:
copper-
That's a nice price.
You may have already mentioned it, but which rental company are you using to get this price? Any coupons included?
Thanks,
Dick Taylor

I'm a Costco member and used the Costco coupon via Costcos website to Dollars website. We rent cars 3 or 4 times a year and I usually save enough on 1 car rental via Costco to more than pay the Costco membership fee every year.

jmatias

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also use Costco codes for our rentals this year. I did check a rental rate again for Orlando with the Costco code and the new rate was $30 cheaper.

It does pay to check :)

JillC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thrifty

Before I even found this thread, I was checking my reservation and found I could save another $36.00 off my original price. I know it's not much, but it's almost a dinner out.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just lowered it again by $22 !!

Perhaps alot of this has to do with the fact that Orlando, (being such a popular destination), has alot of competition.

That being said, I just went onto Ticketmania, and found a link to secure one travel, which got me an Alamo Minivan, for 10 days, $263.36 including taxes!!!

That rate (before taxes) was $135.81/wk then $22.26/day.

That $135.81 is $19.40/day---for a Minivan!!!

Keep on checking, folks!!

Pat

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
YOU GUYS ARE DRIVING ME NUTS!! I'm looking for a minivan mid-March for 8 days to accomodate our TS visit to Carlsbad. EVERYTHING is $300 plus from Phoenix - although I haven't used by AARP or AAA cards yet. The taxes and fees are what's killing me, they just opened up a consolidated car rental facility at Sky Harbor. Millions of cars, millions of $$$.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
nightnurse613 said:
YOU GUYS ARE DRIVING ME NUTS!! I'm looking for a minivan mid-March for 8 days to accomodate our TS visit to Carlsbad. EVERYTHING is $300 plus from Phoenix - although I haven't used by AARP or AAA cards yet. The taxes and fees are what's killing me, they just opened up a consolidated car rental facility at Sky Harbor. Millions of cars, millions of $$$.

We are renting a car for 10 days in Phoenix and returning it to LA. I was getting quotes of around $700 for a full size but finally found one at Dollar for under $400 total after repeatedly checking using sidestep.com. The fees and taxes in Phoenix are really high!

Detailor

TUG Member
Reaction score
copper said:
I'm a Costco member and used the Costco coupon via Costcos website to Dollars website. We rent cars 3 or 4 times a year and I usually save enough on 1 car rental via Costco to more than pay the Costco membership fee every year.

Thanks copper.
I have used my BJ's Wholesale membership to lower my Dollar rentals, but can't see a coupon for Dollar at the Costco site. Stopping by the local Costco today, so I'll pick up a travel catalog. Maybe there'll be a coupon in there.

Dick Taylor

rwroth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Car Rental

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hotwire.com. There are pros (low costs) & cons (pay upfront & the agency is unknown until you pay), but I've had good success with them. Recently I rented an economy for 2 weeks in Phoenix thru Hotwire - total cost (incl fees & taxes) is $261. The agency turned out to be Budget. Thru SideStep, this same car with Budget is $614, & the lowest thru SideStep (E-Zrentacar) is $394.

copper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Detailor said:
Thanks copper.
I have used my BJ's Wholesale membership to lower my Dollar rentals, but can't see a coupon for Dollar at the Costco site. Stopping by the local Costco today, so I'll pick up a travel catalog. Maybe there'll be a coupon in there.

Dick Taylor

Just click through Costcos website to the Dollar site. It carries the code with it automatically. I've only been asked for my Costco card once at the renatal counter so it may or may not work for you if you are not a Costco member.

Good luck

Teddie2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coral Reef Hilton Head, Indian Wells Condoshare
I totally agree that searching finds you deals. I had been looking to get a deal on an SUV for San Diego for weeks -we really did not want to spend much more than a standard car and I was not having much luck. I searched all sites, checked deals used codes for (RCI, AAA, AARP and Costco) and finally after about two weeks of searching I came across a costco deal and got an SUV for 179 a week (we are taking it for 2 weeks). I supposed I could wait and try and see if I can do even better but there has to be a point where you have diminishing returns. But hey if anyone knows of how I can get an even better deal, I am still listening!

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's FUN to keep lowering the price!!

Today, I lowered my car rental, again.

To summarize my postings into one:
I started off with a Full-Size 10 day Orlando rental at 339.
Then, changed to a Mini-Van at $308!!
Got that down to $285 a week later, then a few days after that got it down to $263.
Today, I got an e-mail with 15% off, but used a better deal of $30 off. After subtracting that (and a few bucks off the tax), I'm down to $229---and that includes taxes and fees.
It says if you pre-check in online---you can save another $15.
I'll do that the week before I leave---assuming this Alamo deal is still the best one out there!!

(Oh, the 15% coupon was D42C, and the $30 off is AD94)

Pat

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
#1 Cowboys Fan said:
Today, I lowered my car rental, again.

To summarize my postings into one:
I started off with a Full-Size 10 day Orlando rental at 339.
Then, changed to a Mini-Van at $308!!
Got that down to $285 a week later, then a few days after that got it down to $263.
Today, I got an e-mail with 15% off, but used a better deal of $30 off. After subtracting that (and a few bucks off the tax), I'm down to $229---and that includes taxes and fees.
It says if you pre-check in online---you can save another $15.
I'll do that the week before I leave---assuming this Alamo deal is still the best one out there!!

(Oh, the 15% coupon was D42C, and the $30 off is AD94)

Pat

If you decide you've got the lowest price and it's with Alamo, can you then decide to PREPAY and save another 15%?

happybaby

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a standard SUV at MCO in May for 9 days at 234.55 using the coupon code for 15.00 of (BQW8) Where do you put the code AD94. I can't get it to work for me when trying a new search. I started at 255.00.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Day,

Go to your reservation---then 'Modify' it. Type in AD94 under the coupon code, then continue.

Eventually, it should show you a lower price, then choose to 'Modify' (vs. the other choice of keeping the original reservation).

When you are done, you will have the SAME reservation number (just a better total price!)

Pat

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spence said:
If you decide you've got the lowest price and it's with Alamo, can you then decide to PREPAY and save another 15%?

Yep---or at least that's the way I understood the e-mail.
You book it with your credit card, provide your State Driver's License #, etc---and prepay for 15% less.

well, I say that---I'll be trying in 3 weeks once I'm sure my Reservation is the FINAL one.

Pat

anne1125

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, I've been searching for weeks to try to get better at Tampa, for 5 days than the $250 for the premium vehicle that we reserved.

I just got $155 for an intermediate thanks to Mousesavers. Dollar has a code WN115 that got me about $45 off the best dollar price I could find. We had to go with intermediate but this trip is just for the 2 of us so that's fine.

YaY!!!!

Anne

Detailor

TUG Member
Reaction score
anne1125 said:
OK, I've been searching for weeks to try to get better at Tampa, for 5 days than the $250 for the premium vehicle that we reserved.

I just got $155 for an intermediate thanks to Mousesavers. Dollar has a code WN115 that got me about $45 off the best dollar price I could find. We had to go with intermediate but this trip is just for the 2 of us so that's fine.

YaY!!!!

Anne

And that WN115 code should lower a compact or a minivan, too. I just dropped $35 off a rate on a compact for my daughter that I thought was pretty good (her $180 rate went to $145). Pretty good rate and from an Orlando airport on-site renter, so pretty convenient, too.

Dick Taylor

suekap

Reaction score
Thank you for giving me the tip on alamo trail blazer.

#1 Cowboy Fan

I just booked a trail blazer for 252.09 in august. I tried to use the coupon code AD94, but it said coupon would expire before I rent car, is there an expiration date on coupon. Do you have any other discounts available after August 9th. I could not get the D4C3 code to work, it kept saying invalid.

Also, where does it say if you check in on line you save another 15.00? I am having a hard time saving more money.

Last edited:

Detailor

TUG Member
Reaction score
suekap said:
I just booked a trail blazer for 252.09 in august. I tried to use the coupon code AD94, but it said coupon would expire before I rent car, is there an expiration date on coupon. Do you have any other discounts available after August 9th. I could not get the D4C3 code to work, it kept saying invalid.

I don't know if this one will work that far out either, but try AD14. That code was recently sent out to prior Alamo renters as a way to encourage them to rent again. It is designed to produce a $20 rental savings (not quite as good a deal as Pat's but if it works for your dates that would be a nice gain).

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest that you keep an eye on this board over the course of the next several months. The rental car outfits tend to offer most discount coupons for a very short period of time but have been known to periodically extend dates and offer new discounts as the calendar advances.
Good luck,
Dick Taylor

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
suekap,

I don't know about expiriation dates of the various coupons; but I would suspect that another useable coupon will arrive before your August rental.

The only other coupon I received is for 15% off---it is D42C. That, too may have an early expiration date, but you can try and see.

The e-mail also mentioned 15% off with online check-in. Since I think I have the best price I'm going to get, I probably will try it this week.

I'll post after I try to apply that offer.

Pat

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, it failed---I guess they figure they've already given me enough discounts!!! (HA HA!)

The 15% off for online check-in was not included for reservations that have already used coupons, discounts, etc.

So, I guess I'm simply going to have to plunk down the whole $228 for the 10-day minivan rental.

I'm still VERY pleased with that total! And, it's been kind of fun "...enjoying the hunt" for the best price.

Pat

happybaby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alamo rates

I booked a standard SUV for May for 9 days (Sat am thru Sun pm) for 255.
By using the 15.00 off it dropped my rate to 234. Talking to an Alamo rep, I can get 227 with AAA discount and 211. by prepaying. You can prepay up to 24 hrs. If I don't find a better deal by the time we leave, I will go with the prepay. All discount codes given expire before my travel time.