• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

It’s MF season again!

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
I can't seem to find it on the website but there is a likelihood that there is a fee when borrowing points for reservations with Hilton Grand Vacations. But if you will log into your RCI account, you will see that the points are already added for this year's balance plus 2021 and 2022 points.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Is there a fee to borrow next year's points?
No, there has never been a fee in HGVC to borrow points. Hence, it is better to be a borrower than a saver (except in 2020).

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The current MFs trend for all HGVC resorts is an increase of ~0.15%. So far, all full HGVC resorts are flat and the Florida gulf affiliates resorts (only a couple are reporting so far) have a ~3% increase. But no HGVC Hawaii resorts have posted their MFs yet. These are the trends that I am observing so far.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I am a member of several HGVC FB groups. I never post (except to buy/transfer some points recently). I just want to see if I can pick up any additional useful information. TUG is mention often on the HGVC resales FB page. But one misconception which I see often seems to be owners who bought from the developer and are then wanting to add points or advising someone about adding points. They keep bringing up this point, "if I/you now purchase a resale, that will add an additional contract thereby adding MFs". No wonder TS salespeople can sell for the developers.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a member of several HGVC FB groups. I never post (except to buy/transfer some points recently). I just want to see if I can pick up any additional useful information. TUG is mention often on the HGVC resales FB page. But one misconception which I see often seems to be owners who bought from the developer and are then wanting to add points or advising someone about adding points. They keep bringing up this point, "if I/you now purchase a resale, that will add an additional contract thereby adding MFs". No wonder TS salespeople can sell for the developers.

What do you mean buy / transfer points? I didn't think HGVC allow points transfer between members, unlike DVC. Am I wrong?

Occasionally, I wish I have more points for one year. I don't want to buy a new contract with MF dues every year, but would love to transfer one time points in from other members who aren't using their. Can you explain the point transfer process, if am I understanding your post correctly?

Thanks,
Great3

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean buy / transfer points? I didn't think HGVC allow points transfer between members, unlike DVC. Am I wrong?

Occasionally, I wish I have more points for one year. I don't want to buy a new contract with MF dues every year, but would love to transfer one time points in from other members who aren't using their. Can you explain the point transfer process, if am I understanding your post correctly?

Thanks,
Great3

Trying to find the post, but not having luck.
Anyway, basically you and another owner have to engage in a 3-way conf. call with HGV. You both will provide your account number AND security word (so you need to make sure you "trust" the other person as you'll both be able to hear each other of course. So if you need more points, the other person states they want to transfer some of their points to your account. (you may need to be placed on hold to find an agent who knows how to do this). The other person states how many points and then the agent asks questions and gets it all done.

You cannot transfer SAVED points. Also the buckets come over as well. So if the other owner has say, 500 points in 2020 and 1,500 points in 2021 and transfer 2,000 points to you, YOU will have 500 points in 2020 and 1,500 points in 2021 and are subject to the same limitations (ie, what points can be used when).

So if the other person only has 2022 points, you will have 2022 points and can only use for 2021 or 2022 bookings (you can't book for 2020).

As for how much/cost:
HGV doesn't charge a fee.

It's technically against the rules to sell points, so any agreement you make with the other owner (average is about $0.25/point) best stay between you two and not mention anything about money whilst on the phone with the agent.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

What @hurnik has outlined above are the basic steps. I didn't know that this was being done that much. I know a couple of TUGGers transferred a small number of points (maybe 20) a few years back. I just personally transferred a significant number of points from a HGVC member. I found that the HGV club rep was very familiar with the process. Like @hurnik stated, there must be a level of trust between the two parties. That is the problem which I see with the process. Right now it seems that points are selling for around 15¢/point. I don't know what they were selling for in the previous years. I tried to find that out but wasn't successful.

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
Thanks so much for this explanation.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
What @hurnik has outlined above are the basic steps. I didn't know that this was being done that much. I know a couple of TUGGers transferred a small number of points (maybe 20) a few years back. I just personally transferred a significant number of points from a HGVC member. I found that the HGV club rep was very familiar with the process. Like @hurnik stated, there must be a level of trust between the two parties. That is the problem which I see with the process. Right now it seems that points are selling for around 15¢/point. I don't know what they were selling for in the previous years. I tried to find that out but wasn't successful.

Thanks for sharing, learn something new once again on TugBBS. Good to know. At 15cents / point, that lower than most MF's for most HGVC properties.

Great3

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
At 15cents / point, that lower than most MF's for most HGVC properties.
Correct, but there are a lot of people with excess points they are not using due to not traveling this year, and depending on how cautious they are, they may not be traveling for a while yet. They are just trying to get rid of their points and selling for $0.15/point is better than other options for them.

Kurt

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Correct, but there are a lot of people with excess points they are not using due to not traveling this year, and depending on how cautious they are, they may not be traveling for a while yet. They are just trying to get rid of their points and selling for $0.15/point is better than other options for them.
I agree. I don't know what the normal rate was. If you can get it for around 15¢ then yes (maybe even 20¢/point). That is one reason why I purchased a large number of points now. So I will monitor the rate next year again.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. I don't know what the normal rate was. If you can get it for around 15¢ then yes (maybe even 20¢/point). That is one reason why I purchased a large number of points now. So I will monitor the rate next year again.

So the "average" on FB that I've seen is about $0.25.
I've had some folks offer for what their MF is which was around $0.20

It kinda depends on what both parties are willing to agree to.

My sister owns HGV Seaworld and her MF are $0.25/point
Mine (across all) are around $0.177/point

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Is this your recollection of the amount for previous years?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had some folks offer for what their MF is which was around $0.20

It kinda depends on what both parties are willing to agree to.

My sister owns HGV Seaworld and her MF are $0.25/point
Mine (across all) are around $0.177/point

The other option to use points if to "gift" rentals to people that are "personally know to you."

Cheers.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other option to use points if to "gift" rentals to people that are "personally know to you."

Cheers.
Only problem with that is that you are liable for any damages they do to the room and I guess most people want to avoid that.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only problem with that is that you are liable for any damages they do to the room and I guess most people want to avoid that.

Agreed. If I were to do this, it would only be people I know/trust from the interwebs, or in person. In that sense, the "personally known to me" would roughly apply. That cash may change hands...well :)

But, yes, random folks pose a risk that it likely not worth it.

Cheers.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I don’t recall that we can’t transfer saved points but maybe that’s new (it is to me)
Yes, you can not transfer saved points. You can unbank (unsaved) the points first (via the HGV rep) and then transfer them. We actually did that with my transfer also.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Ha, thanks for the link. It seems I participated early on and never continue monitoring the thread afterwards, and totally forgot about it afterwards. I now need to go thru and read that entire thread previously posted.

No worries, it was good for me to find the link also. I noticed that I missed/forgot some key information in that thread. I did remember that @Cyberc was involved somehow in the thread.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this your recollection of the amount for previous years?

Last year (2019) and this year. At least for the few folks on the FB group that have basically "advertised" what they were going for. But as the other person mentioned, perhaps this year (late in the game) with folks not able to use them, they're going for less. Given the rather wide range of MF, I can see the range being anywhere from $0.15 - $0.25 depending on what you own.

I'm always in the "borrow" phase, so I basically borrowed my sister's points and either I'll transfer the points back to her next year, or book something for her, or just pay her MF.

LOL

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Are you all saying that renting your points to an unknown party is not a good idea? We have always been the renter in such transactions, so it seems to be commonly done.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you all saying that renting your points to an unknown party is not a good idea? We have always been the renter in such transactions, so it seems to be commonly done.

It's technically "against the rules." The bigger deal is that you are sponsoring them and you are responsible for any damage they may cause. There is risk.

Cheers.