• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

It’s Aloha Friday and We’re Ready for our Winter Vacation on Kauai

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We had this set up while we were still in Wisconsin. It actually been two years since we have vacationed there since we bought our condo and moved to Oahu.

I have been back once for work but that doesn’t count. :D We are only staying a week this time the original plan was one week on Kauai and one on Molokai but we just decided to go for a week since the flights are so short now. We will do two weeks on Molokai in May.

We had tickets to go to the Willie K concert but he had to cancel because of his serious health issues. So besides meeting some renters I have at the Pono Kai, friends in Princeville and taking a work friend out to lunch since he happens to be there next week, we don’t have too much planned.

My wife has been struggling with a muscle strain in her back. She fell in our apartment and pulled a muscle. She did go to the doctor and got some medication but it is still slow going.

We decided this trip a little later last year and we ended out on the third floor of the C Building. We haven’t been in that building in almost 10 years but we are oceanfront and have a nice lanai to enjoy so we are ready to relax.

I actually wasn’t feeling well last night but went right to bed when I got home from work last night and besides a little sore through I feel better.

I’ll post some pictures here if you want to follow along. Let me know if there is anything new I should check out.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Have fun. I know you will, even if it just means kicking back with your feet up.

When you find time, I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts about how your vacationing perspective is changing, since you've moved to your vacation spot. It's not so far away, as you pointed out, and the scenery isn't a whole lot different than you see every day from your new home. How has that affected your thoughts about owning and vacationing there?

Dave

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'll wave at you from Maui. ;)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Aloha! We want one of your great trip reports!

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, Congrats, Jeff! Summer in Oahu, winters in Kauai and Molokai -Wisconsin snow only a memory.
Yes, looking forward to the ocassional report. Go Badgers! Kildahl

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Boy, I forgot I booked this flight with United miles. We are flying on Hawaiian though so I had a heck of a time finding the Hawaiian confirmation number but I found it in the United app under additional information.
Wow, any way we are all checked in for our long flight.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have fun. I know you will, even if it just means kicking back with your feet up.

When you find time, I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts about how your vacationing perspective is changing, since you've moved to your vacation spot. It's not so far away, as you pointed out, and the scenery isn't a whole lot different than you see every day from your new home. How has that affected your thoughts about owning and vacationing there?

Dave

I agree and this may change in time. There is definitely no need to head back to Wisconsin and nothing else is on our radar for now.

One thing that does remind me of Wisconsin though is that I work long days so a lot of the time when I get home, I don’t want to do much so that only leaves the weekend and of course we have to shop and get some running around done. So for right now heading to another island so we can check things out is just what we want. Two weeks in Molokai in May!:cool:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll wave at you from Maui. ;)

i was on Maui for work in the middle of January and when I am done with vacation I have to head to Hilo and maybe back to Kauai. Back to Maui probably at the end of March.

Enjoy your time, I know you always do. A friend of mine said I should try Poi by the Pound next time I am on Maui. I have heard if it but haven’t been there yet. It sounds right up my alley and it’s really close to the Courtyard I stay at for work too.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, Congrats, Jeff! Summer in Oahu, winters in Kauai and Molokai -Wisconsin snow only a memory.
Yes, looking forward to the ocassional report. Go Badgers! Kildahl

Thank You, yes, Go Badgers.

My wife said she is enjoying seething the snow from afar. She likes seeing the posts from family and friends on Facebook.:cool:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
He's the weather forecast for the next month in Kauai, partly sunny, breezy, with a chance of scattered showers. You could say that every day and be right more often than the weather forecaster. Enjoy.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
He's the weather forecast for the next month in Kauai, partly sunny, breezy, with a chance of scattered showers. You could say that every day and be right more often than the weather forecaster. Enjoy.

Your right with that one.:)

Not too worried about the weather. I already know I have been assigned to the BBQ a couple times while we’re there. And I have been told we are heading to Anahola for Huli Huli chicken.:)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Busy at the airport today. My wife was able to get in one of the massage chairs so we’ll see if it helped when she gets out of it. Nice short flights now so we will be there shortly.

First time using Advantage Rental car so I hope that goes well.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Full flight and I have never been on a flight with so many young kids. Glad it’s a short one.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Advantage worked out alright. Got a free upgrade to a van since they didn’t have an economy. This will be easier for my wife to get in and out of. Didn’t take long either.

We went straight to FoodLand for shopping. I had a gift card I got through work so we used that up. They had some Char Sui chicken so I will be grilling that while we are here.

Perfect timing to go check in. It was 4pm when we arrived and the unit was ready. There was a guy cleaning our windows when we got to the unit.

Lot’s of people at the beach and in the water. Most I have ever seen. Not the safest water for it but they were in there.

DW is still sore so I am going to The Olympic Cafe for some take out. Beautiful day.
4BBB5F6C-7E13-4045-A39A-5D43DDD75783.jpeg
BACB5D61-0E3A-4CDB-A5A7-8D454B41FF1B.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not too crowded at the Olympic but is is still early. It about 6pm here now. Weather is perfect. I got out of my short sleeve t-shirt and
Put on a tank and now it’s perfect.

4A4EF717-524B-40A5-98C3-8CD5528CC5E0.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kalua Pork Plate and Angel Hair Pasta from the Olympic Cafe.
EFBEF5E9-EA42-4530-A219-E34D354DA08B.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A short video of the lanai view from C308 at The Pono Kai.

Travel1

Reaction score
Great view from your unit. Do you have to be an owner at this resort to get those beach front views? Do owners own a particular unit in a building so they get the same unit every year (i.e. a deeded unit as opposed to a floating unit). Are these beach front units available for rent, and if so, approximately how much is it per night or week. Can you exchange into this property? (and if you do, what kind of view can one expect?).

Thanks for sharing!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great view from your unit. Do you have to be an owner at this resort to get those beach front views? Do owners own a particular unit in a building so they get the same unit every year (i.e. a deeded unit as opposed to a floating unit). Are these beach front units available for rent, and if so, approximately how much is it per night or week. Can you exchange into this property? (and if you do, what kind of view can one expect?).

Thanks for sharing!

I will send you a PM.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In general owners do get preference it if you rent from an owner you can get a unit in one of the four oceanfront buildings. Some units are whole owned and the quality varies. The association owned units just went through a renovation and they did a pretty good job.

Owners own floating units and floating weeks. There are a couple of holiday weeks that are fixed week but not many and you can float those also. So booking is based on Availability and owners can book one year in advance.

Yes, you can exchange into the Pono Kai. I have seen these in RCi, II and even Platinum Interchange. I have heard of exchangers getting oceanfront so I can’t say it won’t happen and I think it depends on how busy the resort is. Butas an exchanger I would expect a pool or island view closer to the road.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, I went around and took some photos of our unit here at the Pono Kai. Most of the units are renovated now and they are all in the same style. This was a large renovation and they didn’t have a special assessment so that was great. Plus, the renovations took care of most of the issues with the units. Overall we are very satisfied. This is a two bedroom unit with both bedrooms toward the back of the unit. The Pono Kai does have two bedroom units with the master that is is the front by the lanai.
The last six pictures are of the master bedroom.
41CCABF3-2365-4D17-A5F3-7BDF8B81D17C.jpeg
52F05D8A-6709-450D-B9BC-6844DD0B67C2.jpeg
DA34C2FA-24B0-45A6-BA87-E58D517C0E50.jpeg
B53DA220-26E0-4194-B515-602E2F3663C5.jpeg
AF79399D-4E69-4C16-8DB9-A083DEAE473D.jpeg
D645D985-2ADA-4334-B930-4E52CC072434.jpeg
734C8F33-418D-47FF-AA54-150A511479C4.jpeg
23AF5ACC-FA67-4369-94B7-934704129C17.jpeg
9462817A-63FB-45C9-B6DD-E55E22F9268A.jpeg
1926DA89-A62C-4B23-8197-F5C1A599E493.jpeg
313AE75D-8DDC-45C4-8283-8FF8AE1EED52.jpeg
9E05C064-A832-448F-9D0B-D26D03E86A55.jpeg
24EB8E9F-4AF7-4722-A7D5-E6AA60B1F5CC.jpeg

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
O
Kalua Pork Plate and Angel Hair Pasta from the Olympic Cafe.
View attachment 17387
Have you tried Java Kai right up the street? I was impressed with their Breakfast/Lunch offerings. We didn't even have coffee, so name is a bit misleading. There was a line out the door, but it moved pretty fast.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
O
Have you tried Java Kai right up the street? I was impressed with their Breakfast/Lunch offerings. We didn't even have coffee, so name is a bit misleading. There was a line out the door, but it moved pretty fast.

Not this trip yet but we have been there before. We agree, nice spot and it is always busy.
My wife is not walking too well this morning but we made it to Ono’s right next door to the Pono Kai, plus we get a 10% discount. Meatloaf and Pancakes.
7FA1C530-5593-4970-9B5D-D2ACDB47A923.jpeg
E78F21B6-A767-4B10-90D9-448B5DAA36C5.jpeg
CC8E253F-1B82-4F9F-9FB0-FA7D3C168BC1.jpeg

Last edited:

Travel1

Reaction score
In general owners do get preference it if you rent from an owner you can get a unit in one of the four oceanfront buildings. Some units are whole owned and the quality varies. The association owned units just went through a renovation and they did a pretty good job.

Owners own floating units and floating weeks. There are a couple of holiday weeks that are fixed week but not many and you can float those also. So booking is based on Availability and owners can book one year in advance.

Yes, you can exchange into the Pono Kai. I have seen these in RCi, II and even Platinum Interchange. I have heard of exchangers getting oceanfront so I can’t say it won’t happen and I think it depends on how busy the resort is. Butas an exchanger I would expect a pool or island view closer to the road.
Thanks for the responses and information. Also the renovations look great in the pictures too! Looks like a wonderful resort!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just took a walk around the resort and I noticed that they moved the two shuffleboard courts into the tennis court area. Losing one tennis court. The old Shuffleboard area by the pool is now a larger BBQ area. I like it.

44C7C9FE-1050-4C3A-BB3A-EDBC453E5830.jpeg