• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Island Hopping

roddyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Besides Puerto Rico, which island would make a good base to hop to other islands? Also, is there an airline that offers a package to travel from island to island? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
try st maarten

although you might have to go thru sju to get to sxm, st maarten is the 2nd most busy airport in the islands for takeoffs and landings, mostly puddle jumpers inter island. san juan probably has more point to point destinations with american eagle but depending on your itinerary sxm could still work. This is one of the funny things about traveling down island, if you fly to st barts from the french side of sxm, no departure tax, no customs, no imigration, fly from the dutch side all of the above. I assume the same applies if you fly from the dutch side to any of the other dutch islands, which seems a bit silly since there is no imigration between the two sides, go figure, but for me it's what makes "getting away" even more special.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Caribbean airline LIAT has a couple of passes. If memory serves, one is for 7 or 10 days and the other is unlimited for a month. They are based in Antigua and fly to about 20 islands, including Sint Maarten. They also have some special LD fares that are lower than the normal fare, yet allow unlimited stopovers as long as you fly in a more or less straight line.

I did a t/s exchange to Sint Maarten a few years ago, and booked my tickets from the US openjawed, in to Sint Maarten and out of Antigua. I booked a LIAT ticket to close the jaws, flying Sint Maarten to Antigua with a free stopoever in St. Kitts enroute.

Unless a recent ownership change has led to a policy change, Air Jamaica also allows free stopovers enroute. I used them on another Caribbean trip for that purpose. I had an exchange in Barbados, and used Delta skymiles for a ticket on Air Jamaica. The itineray was Atlanta to Jamaica to St. Lucia to Barbados. I did a free stopover on St. Lucia on the way back for a few days and could have also done Jamaica if I had wanted to do so. The free stopovers are on both ff and paid tickets.

There are also some island hopping posibilities by boat. There is a fast ferry from Guadeloupe to Martinique, stopping some days at Dominica enroute. The scheduling works for a day trip from Guadeloupe to Dominica, which I did when I had a t/s exchange in Guadeloupe. If you were staying overnight, you can do all three islands.

From Sint Maarten / St. Martin, you can also do day trips by boat to Anguilla, St. Barths, and Saba.

The new EasyCruise also offers some interesting island hopping opportunities. www.easycruise.com