• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Island hopping in 2021

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
We planned a three island trip for April 2021. Three nights in 1 HNL, then four nights in Maui, and seven nights in Kauai.
Hopefully the islands can stay open with the pre-testing. I wonder if the inter island flights will be quarantine problem. Will Maui accepts us from HNL with out requiring another test. What if we were clean when we left the mainland but got the virus in HNL.

I wonder if we would be better off dropping the 3 nights in HNL and just doing two islands for one week each.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We planned a three island trip for April 2021. Three nights in 1 HNL, then four nights in Maui, and seven nights in Kauai.
Hopefully the islands can stay open with the pre-testing. I wonder if the inter island flights will be quarantine problem. Will Maui accepts us from HNL with out requiring another test. What if we were clean when we left the mainland but got the virus in HNL.

I wonder if we would be better off dropping the 3 nights in HNL and just doing two islands for one week each.
It is such a fluid situation with COVID-19 as to what and if Hawaii expects from visitors then. I expect COVID-19 will be under control with effective treatment and/or vaccine by then. If it is still wide spread we won't be getting on a plane to Hawaii.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

I think less moving parts is a better plan for now - less to go wrong. It depends on how much stress you can tolerate if something goes wrong with your vacation plans.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Can't speak at all to the post covid times, but my experience with multiple island vacations is that I always wish I had kept it simpler. Flying, in the best of times, takes time and energy and more time than you would would want in airports.

If it were me, and if possible, I would lfy to Maui and spend a week there and a week in Kauai. Will be much more peaceful and more time spent on the islands and not in airports.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm second guessing our HI plans - currently O'ahu to Kauai to Big Island - as well. O'ahu to Maui should be no problem in the sense of, "Yes you will need a COVID-19 test and yes you should have no problem finding a testing site on O'ahu." Maui to Kauai might be more problematic.

That said, I have no real idea of how O'ahu will be doing 6-12 months from now vis-a-vis the mainland and the neighbor islands.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We are in same situation except wondering if we should limit to one island. We have a confirmed week in summee 2021 on Maui. We then have another week on BI. At least with BI we can cancel 30 days prior.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I think less moving parts is a better plan for now - less to go wrong. It depends on how much stress you can tolerate if something goes wrong with your vacation plans.

I agree, we had a multi-island trip planned for 2020, i rebooked a few times. Then i decided to limit my trips to a single island,. Currently we are booked for the Big Island in May, and will probably add a second trip for a different island once things settle down a bit.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1603211744189.png

Looking at this chart we would have to get retested before going to Maui or Kauai

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am flying from Reno on SW with a plane change in Oakland. Does this mean that I have to have a test done in Oakland or just witn 72 hours of oakland take off ?

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I am flying from Reno on SW with a plane change in Oakland. Does this mean that I have to have a test done in Oakland or just witn 72 hours of oakland take off ?

Within 72 hours of your Oakland departure.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
We feel the same way. January will be Maui and April will be Kauai. We also aren't getting too excited about either one because we don't want to be too disappointed if we have to cancel. We did cancel our Maui trip for next month several months ago.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had originally had my May trip as one week on Maui then one on the big island and was afraid of the additional hassle so changed it to 2 weeks on Maui....I'll lose the one-way trip from Maui to big island but its $59 pp so no great loss. Just figured it increased our chances of a good trip

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
We cancelled our 5 days to Big Island for early March after our Maui week. We didn’t want to take the chance for inter island restrictions. Instead we extended our Maui time. We have until mid December to make a decision about our Maui trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk