• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is Wyndham Destroying Resale Values as a Sales Strategy?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
It appears to be.
On the other hand, previous directories had two listings for it - “Club Wyndham Rio Mar” and “Margaritaville Rio Mar.” The 2023-24 directory only has “Margaritaville Rio Mar.” It wouldn’t shock me if a page on the website had gone unupdated.

Eggrollcreative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Elara, Worldmark, Seagull Beach Club, Vacation Internationale
Just sat through a presentation, this came up, “resale doesn’t come with benefits.” I said that is making your product even more worthless than before. Still kept us 2 hours and 20 minutes. Not sure the dinner cruise is worth it. On my death bed I’ll wish I had that time back.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Is there some Margaritaville Rio Mar in Access? If so that inventory wouldn't have the restrictions that the non access inventory would have in terms of membership. Wyndham has so many different underlying clubs especially when some of the inventory from a single resort is in access and some is not that it makes some of the rules extra complicated.

No - this was removed starting in 2023. There are other posts about this - and Club Wyndham Rio Mar was removed from the members directory this year - it is only listed under MVC now - and cannot be booked outside of MVC rules any longer since it is no longer listed as a CWA resort. Trust what the members directory says - that's the real rules - not what the marketing pages may inaccurately display on other parts of the Wyndham website because they aren't maintained well/regularly.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Just sat through a presentation, this came up, “resale doesn’t come with benefits.” I said that is making your product even more worthless than before. Still kept us 2 hours and 20 minutes. Not sure the dinner cruise is worth it. On my death bed I’ll wish I had that time back.
One time I had to call to follow up on a new resale contract where the points hadn’t been awarded for some reason (ultimately after an account audit they added them), and I was explaining that the contract’s allowances had been added on the benefits summary, but no points. She cut me off and said, “Resale doesn’t get any benefits,” and I was like, “The benefits on the benefits summary, like RCI, points deposit, ARP, etc” and she was like “Let me pass you up to owner care,” lol. We do have benefits, just not VIP benefits or developer purchase benefits.

SML123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Meriweather Resort, Fort Lauderdale Beach, Florida
Garza Blanca, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Of course they want to destroy any resales. Look at Vidanta, known as one of the most high pressure obnoxious sales forces on the planet. By allowing resales but with large transfer fee, and having people re-sign up every 10 or 25 years, they never run out of inventory plus they keep everything paid in with zero money returned to buyer. Plus there are literally zero resales listed anywhere for Vidanta, people simply wait until their reinvestment period and opt out. Its evil genius.

troy12n

Reaction score
I did my first actual update in more than 2 years today. I am at Kingsgate this week, and I checked in late, so got to bypass the parkingpass/wristband desk completely, I had the check-in folks program our wristband from other resorts... Well, long story short, I knew Friday was going to be a rainy day, so I went down and engaged them myself and explained why I don't do updates, told them about my encounters with "Kim" at Governors Green, and that's when I learned she was FIRED, because apparently lots of complaints. Long story short, I negotiated a $200 AMEX card as my reward, and told them they had an hour, and I would be attending alone. That was fine with them.

My update meeting was less than 30 minutes, their opening line was about "do you know what you own and what benefits you have?" Once I rambled off what I own, how I came to own it and how I just bought some resale points, the person handling the update realized I was not a mark for sales, so we actually chatted about things, then I was on my way. Very professional, very brief... the way I think they SHOULD BE. I specifically mentioned website issues as pain points and the removal of 1 night stays...

In general I will not do these unless it's going to be a bad weather day, AND I get at least $200 or 60,000 WR points. And I have almost 300k WR points so I dont need more.

So... not at all bad, for a change. I think the saleswoman read me and realized the best course of action was to get me out the door as fast as possible.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I did my first actual update in more than 2 years today. I am at Kingsgate this week, and I checked in late, so got to bypass the parkingpass/wristband desk completely, I had the check-in folks program our wristband from other resorts... Well, long story short, I knew Friday was going to be a rainy day, so I went down and engaged them myself and explained why I don't do updates, told them about my encounters with "Kim" at Governors Green, and that's when I learned she was FIRED, because apparently lots of complaints. Long story short, I negotiated a $200 AMEX card as my reward, and told them they had an hour, and I would be attending alone. That was fine with them.

My update meeting was less than 30 minutes, their opening line was about "do you know what you own and what benefits you have?" Once I rambled off what I own, how I came to own it and how I just bought some resale points, the person handling the update realized I was not a mark for sales, so we actually chatted about things, then I was on my way. Very professional, very brief... the way I think they SHOULD BE. I specifically mentioned website issues as pain points and the removal of 1 night stays...

In general I will not do these unless it's going to be a bad weather day, AND I get at least $200 or 60,000 WR points. And I have almost 300k WR points so I dont need more.

So... not at all bad, for a change. I think the saleswoman read me and realized the best course of action was to get me out the door as fast as possible.
That's the way most of our updates go these days as well. They realize I'm not a mark - mostly because my file says this clearly when they check it - which makes me wonder why they haven't put me on the DNG/DNS lists already since everyone handles me with kid gloves nowadays, but whatever LOL. We only attend updates a few times a year now. We are sitting at almost 600k WR points as we haven't been using them as much for the past two years - my kids use them more than we do for short hotel stays where resorts aren't nearby. We might spend a bunch of WR points through Vacasa at some point and rent a larger home down in OBX or somewhere else - just to burn down our points before they expire. We can always convert them to cover MFs as well - but that's a last resort for us.

ddavid1073

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sales reps only care about selling you directly. Any way they can encourage that and discourage resale purchases they will tell you. We now know that Margaritavilles (with a few exceptions) are available to resale owners at 5 months. I have 3 contracts and have never stayed at any of those resorts. That is the beauty of the point system. I'm very happy with what's available to me and when. I haven't been to sales presentation in a couple of years. But I will say if you think reward is worth an hour, stick to an hour and then excuse yourself. White lie it that you have another appointment. Remember, you're actually doing them a favor if you don't intend to buy anyway. They can move on to their next victim, er customer.