• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is Wyndham Avenue Plaza a good spot for a first visit to New Orleans with kids?

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked this resort yesterday for Spring Break in a 1 bedroom. We have 2 kids who will be 9 and 12 on this trip. The reviews said there is a trolley stop right in front of the resort, and it's in the "Garden District". Is this resort a good location for a family with kids our kids' ages or should we try to trade in elsewhere? I booked it directly with Wyndham points so I could cancel if I wanted to I think.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Well, we own there and I have a 7 year old son who comes with us to visit during Carnival (the week before Mardi Gras) so yes I think it's a great spot.

Technically though you should know it is just outside the edge of 'the garden district' and is more 'central city'. It's on the north side of St. Charles which means it's barely outside the garden district borders, according to my husband who grew up in New Orleans. Look at a map and see.

Yes there is a street car stop right out front. The street car is fun and easy.

The rooms are a bit small and it's not super 'resorty' for kids but it's a very nice resort and we enjoy it quite a bit. Be sure to visit the Audubon Park. You may also enjoy French QuarTour Kids: http://www.frenchquarterkidstours.com/

Here's a helpful link with more kids stuff in NOLA: http://www.neworleanskids.com

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO I think that would be a great resort if your bring your children to New Orleans. This resort has more outside area with a nice pool area. There are places to eat everywhere and is within walking distance of one of the famous graveyards for a walking tour. Homes are beautiful in the area, though I know kids won't care much about that.
Bourbon Street is not for kids. The French market area is cool with the mint being close by for touring. Tons of history. Even a National Park in the middle of the French Quarter.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Patti and I stayed there for 2 weeks 3 years ago. But we were 2 adults. We had a 1 bedroom. The kitchen did not have an oven only a 2 or 3 Burner Stove Top. We did not rent a car - parking is not cheap. We took a taxi from and to the Airport. We relied upon The St Charles Street Car and other mass transit. We spent most of a day at the Zoo. We spent parts of 2 days at the WWII Museum. If you buy the All Day Ticket for the Mass Transit it includes all transfers and is good from 5am to 5am. We plan on going back next October for 3 weeks. You can do a Mansion Tour abd they will pick you up abd dekiver you back to the Resort. We also did a Gator Tour in the Bayou East of NOLA.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your kids will be fine .. and all will have a good trip. Remember, the food will be different than McDonalds or diner food back home. I am good at getting kids not mine, to eat strange looking or smelling food. I just don't feed them what they want and within 12 hours, "If you eat it, THEY will eat it".

All of my sisters with kids, have sent their kids to me for week long stays .. ALL the picky eaters RAVE about all the great food they ate when they get back home to Mom & Dad. And yes, my sisters have called and asked if I threaten them. Never, they can eat whatever they want at 7AM Breakfast, 11AM Lunch and 6PM Dinner ... and NOT at any other time or inbetween meals... unless they wrap and carry their own leftovers with them (as we are also NOT home during the day).