• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is Vaccination Futile?

arcsinx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tree Tops Resort Gatlinburg, TN
Vacation Villages at Parkway Kissimmee, FL
This question arises out of a discussion I had with a work colleague yesterday.

A new study from Scotland published in the Lancet estimates the Pfizer vaccine as only 79% effective against the Delta Covid variant, down from 95% in the original strain. Moderna is probably similar.

As time goes on, the vaccines are slowly becoming less efficacious. And, according to World in Data, only 2.4 billion vaccines have been administered worldwide, much lower than would be needed to stop Covid.

So here's the question: Is it possible that the vaccination effort is largely futile? Meaning is it possible that Covid mutates so quickly that vaccination of the planet isn't possible before said vaccine is rendered ineffective? If this were the case, it'd be very similar to flu, where new vaccines would have to be developed and adminstered on a seasonal or annual basis. But since Covid is at 1-2 orders of magnitude more deadly than the flu and also several times more infectious, this spells bad news for the pandemic and the world moving beyond Covid anytime soon. At one point, I was cautiously optimistic that the world could mobilize and squash this disease, but that seems to be overly naive at this point and seems to be much more likely that this pandemic will continue in waves in perpetuity.

Thoughts?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
“If this were the case, it'd be very similar to flu, where new vaccines would have to be developed and adminstered on a seasonal or annual basis.”
First of all, I realize you didn’t write this, but from what I understand the vaccine was never touted as being a cure.
So, yes, I believe that we will definitely have to receive boosters either seasonally, or perhaps sooner, just like the flu shots.

Also to what Passeport posted, “looks to me like vaccination is not only recommended, but crucial to returning to normality”.

jeffox

Reaction score
A surprising stat I heard about my state, all 500+ people hospitalized for COVID, none have been vaccinated. That's not saying that vaccinated people don't get sick, but it sure keeps you out of the hospital.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
So here's the question: Is it possible that the vaccination effort is largely futile? Meaning is it possible that Covid mutates so quickly that vaccination of the planet isn't possible before said vaccine is rendered ineffective? If this were the case, it'd be very similar to flu, where new vaccines would have to be developed and adminstered on a seasonal or annual basis. But since Covid is at 1-2 orders of magnitude more deadly than the flu and also several times more infectious, this spells bad news for the pandemic and the world moving beyond Covid anytime soon. At one point, I was cautiously optimistic that the world could mobilize and squash this disease, but that seems to be overly naive at this point and seems to be much more likely that this pandemic will continue in waves in perpetuity.

From the article:
A recent study from Public Health England that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 96 percent effective against hospitalization from the Delta variant after two doses and that the AstraZeneca-University of Oxford vaccine in 92 percent effective.

If the vaccine trains our immune system to deal with COVID and reduce hospitalizations, that is a win. Even if we have to get booster shots.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
This question arises out of a discussion I had with a work colleague yesterday.

A new study from Scotland published in the Lancet estimates the Pfizer vaccine as only 79% effective against the Delta Covid variant, down from 95% in the original strain. Moderna is probably similar.

As time goes on, the vaccines are slowly becoming less efficacious. And, according to World in Data, only 2.4 billion vaccines have been administered worldwide, much lower than would be needed to stop Covid.

Thoughts?

We need a new vaccine.

One has been tested in pigs.

(Sorry, this is a serious paper. I'll translate for those of us who aren't microbiologists.)

Instead of making a vaccine against the most dangerous part, they found a way to make a vaccine against the part of the virus'es outsides that never mutates. To make the vaccine effective, they put that part on the outside of a bacteria, and then made a killed bacteria vaccine (which is the oldest vaccine technology in the world), which triggers the immune system to attack that stable part of the corona (COVID) virus - all corona viruses. In pigs, this was tested against both pig corona viruses AND COVID-19. It worked against <both> corona viruses at the same effectiveness (around 80% in pigs).

THIS is the vaccine we need to slow down the pandemic.

Any bets you won't hear about for many years?

(edited for a few mistypes.)

Last edited:

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
There is a world of difference between 'catching the disease' and dying from it. Here:
Virtually all hospitalized Covid patients have one thing in common: They're unvaccinated (nbcnews.com)

From the article: It's been the same for Dr. Ken Lyn-Kew, a pulmonologist in the critical care department at Denver's National Jewish Health: "None of our ICU patients has been vaccinated."

Looks to me like vaccination is not only recommended, but crucial to returning to 'normality'.
The unfortunate part is that those of us who had the vaccine, are immunocompromised and have taken Rituxan which can stay in your system for over a year completing treatment are are at the mercy of those unvaccinated people who will refuse to wear a mask.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Big segment on NPR's Science Friday about monoclonal antibody treatments for immunocompromised folk who test + for the virus and how currently it can help but the variants might create obstacles to this treatment.