• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is Trading Ownership among Marriott TS possible?

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a 2BR (non-l/o) at Marriott Fairway Villas in NJ. We've never stayed there, and have used it exclusively to trade and for Marriott points (yes, I now know that I could buy points more cheaply than my MF). We bought retail, pre-TUG. Gold season, which means no summer reservations and no ACs. :(

It's a nice resort with good trade value, but from participating on TUG for the past few months, I realize that what I really should own is a 2 BR lock off in a resort where trading occasionally garners II ACs. We can take 3-4 weeks of vacation per year. Usually it's just me and dh. However, I really feel the need to get a 2BR in trade for my 2 BR, when we do, we'll invite another couple along to join us. Otherwise, I'll buy Getaways for 1 BRs for under $500.

So, my question is, is there a way to trade which resort I own? We've stayed at MPB twice, I'd love to own there. But I don't need to own 2 Marriotts. I like Marriott and would like to remain with them as my primary TS ownership. I don't think it would be worth it to me to own more than 1 or 2 TSs (especially if I could get a L/O unit).

If there is no in house Marriott program for doing this, I'm thinking I should try to buy as cheaply as possible a lockoff unit at a resort where we'd occasionally like to stay (like MPB or one of the Orlando or Hilton Head resorts) and do whatever I can to be rid of MFV. Does this plan appear sound to the more experienced among you?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen WestinStJohn VGV, SBx2 & CVx2 SVV Morritt's Seaside
I own a 2BR (non-l/o) at Marriott Fairway Villas in NJ. We've never stayed there, and have used it exclusively to trade and for Marriott points (yes, I now know that I could buy points more cheaply than my MF). We bought retail, pre-TUG. Gold season, which means no summer reservations and no ACs. :(

It's a nice resort with good trade value, but from participating on TUG for the past few months, I realize that what I really should own is a 2 BR lock off in a resort where trading occasionally garners II ACs. We can take 3-4 weeks of vacation per year. Usually it's just me and dh. However, I really feel the need to get a 2BR in trade for my 2 BR, when we do, we'll invite another couple along to join us. Otherwise, I'll buy Getaways for 1 BRs for under $500.

So, my question is, is there a way to trade which resort I own? We've stayed at MPB twice, I'd love to own there. But I don't need to own 2 Marriotts. I like Marriott and would like to remain with them as my primary TS ownership. I don't think it would be worth it to me to own more than 1 or 2 TSs (especially if I could get a L/O unit).

If there is no in house Marriott program for doing this, I'm thinking I should try to buy as cheaply as possible a lockoff unit at a resort where we'd occasionally like to stay (like MPB or one of the Orlando or Hilton Head resorts) and do whatever I can to be rid of MFV. Does this plan appear sound to the more experienced among you?
Hi rachel,
Former Gold MFV owner here.....

Unfortunately, you are stuck.....when I was purchasing at the Surf Club in 2002, I had the opportunity to 'trade in' my gold for a credit of 75% the current price - Marriott was still honoring what they told us when we purchased! That they WOULD take back the units in an equity upgrade - I would have ended up with a 9K credit as long as I spent another 15K on a new unit - I chose not to do it at that time :wall: - when I did decide to do it in early 2003, they were not taking ALL ownerships back, only select seasons/resorts :wall:

My 2 gold MFV weeks are the only ones I have ever sold at a loss (have bought and sold 20+ ownerships)

With prices in the tank, my strategy would be to purchase a Platinum lock-off resale in a location where I know I would get a AC year after year and keep the Gold week for when u need/want a 2BR trade - make lemonade out of that Lemon - Platinum MFV were going for 5-6K before the bad times - you would be lucky to get 1K for your gold week at this time....sorry.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Probably your only option would be a direct owner to owner swap. It may be hard to find someone willing to trade their ownershipt for yours evenly. Someone who owns MPB isn't likely to swap, people own there because they like visiting there.

You may be better to sell your week and try to buy one resale of equal value. The only thing is that you will loose the trading for points option.

rsnash

TUG Member
Reaction score
With prices in the tank, my strategy would be to purchase a Platinum lock-off resale in a location where I know I would get a AC year after year and keep the Gold week for when u need/want a 2BR trade - make lemonade out of that Lemon

Yes, Pat, this is my current strategy. I just didn't know if it would be worth even owning the MFV if I get that dream lock off cheap resale.

:hi:

Edited to add: Hmm, I wonder if it would be worth listing it for sale with Marriott? Even it they took a year or two to sell it to the next (sucker) buyer. I'm not in a hurry to sell and it would generate more money then giving it away on eBay, even with the 40% commission. Then I could buy that Platinum 2BR lockoff at my leisure on eBay or TUG. :whoopie: :D

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on trading while it is listed?

Update: for future reference, the Marriott Resales Dept is not open on the weekends, their phone is 866-682-4547. The CS rep was trying to talk to me about Equity Upgrades, but I'm pretty sure that would still be thousands out of pocket and still not worth more than buying resale.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes, Pat, this is my current strategy. I just didn't know if it would be worth even owning the MFV if I get that dream lock off cheap resale.

:hi:

Edited to add: Hmm, I wonder if it would be worth listing it for sale with Marriott? Even it they took a year or two to sell it to the next (sucker) buyer. I'm not in a hurry to sell and it would generate more money then giving it away on eBay, even with the 40% commission. Then I could buy that Platinum 2BR lockoff at my leisure on eBay or TUG. :whoopie: :D

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on trading while it is listed?

Update: for future reference, the Marriott Resales Dept is not open on the weekends, their phone is 866-682-4547. The CS rep was trying to talk to me about Equity Upgrades, but I'm pretty sure that would still be thousands out of pocket and still not worth more than buying resale.

I don't think Fairway Villas is sold out yet. So you may be waiting a long time to sell through Marriott. Just be prepared for the wait. I don't know how old the resort is but last I read on here I think someone mentioned that it still has 40% unsold weeks.

rsnash

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think Fairway Villas is sold out yet. So you may be waiting a long time to sell through Marriott. Just be prepared for the wait. I don't know how old the resort is but last I read on here I think someone mentioned that it still has 40% unsold weeks.

Unfortunately, you are exactly correct. I called today. They are not sold out; they have sold 56% so far. So, it'll probably be another 5-10 years before I can sell through them. Oh well.