• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am thinking of taking a trip next May to Europe and am wondering if timesharing there makes sense.

The reason I ask is that we are VERY spoiled timesharing in the places we like to travel (Orlando, Scottsdale, Whistler, Hawaii) where I can easily find a place that is worth the $1000 investment for my trade (the price I conservatively estimate my SDO week costs me to trade.)

Is there any properties worth targeting in Europe that are worth that much?

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This what I would do - look at the price of the alternatives - like renting condos in the areas you want to go.

Also - be aware that most timeshares in Europe are located in ski and country destinations - it is far harder to find a timeshare in the main European cities that Americans want to visit.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 4 Marriotts in Europe, 2 in Malaga (southern Spain), one in Mallorca, an island off the east coast of Spain, and one 45 minutes northeast of Paris.

There is a Hilton in Tuscany region of Italy, but there has not yet been a report of anyone trading into it via RCI.

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 4 Marriotts in Europe, 2 in Malaga (southern Spain), one in Mallorca, an island off the east coast of Spain, and one 45 minutes northeast of Paris.

There is a Hilton in Tuscany region of Italy, but there has not yet been a report of anyone trading into it via RCI.

Yeah, the only property I have seen consistently that interests me is the Paris Marriott property. Even then, you are an hour out of Paris and I don't know if a week in Disneyland is on my "to do" list. :)

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
This what I would do - look at the price of the alternatives - like renting condos in the areas you want to go.

Also - be aware that most timeshares in Europe are located in ski and country destinations - it is far harder to find a timeshare in the main European cities that Americans want to visit.

Yep, that is what I was thinking. When it comes to vacations, I let my OGS do the planning then evolve from there. I just haven't see the properties in Europe that get me that excited to commit like Westin Hawaii, Atlantis, Four Seasons Scottsdale, Marriott Boston, etc.

I will check out the condo idea as that makes a lot of sense. Thanks Denise!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We have given up on RCI trades (for now) to Europe. Our 2 trade into Europe for 2013 and 2016were canx by RCI, one at 3 mths out, the other 11 mths out. It worked out fine for us, as we had decided we weren't going to use the one 3 mths out (I had RCI insurance). But, even though they offered an alternative, it was 2 hours away. The 2nd canx offered no options, but we had enough time to regroup. If I ever use RCI again, I will have a backup plan. What if I had bought tickets, etc.?
We have stayed @ Marriott Ile de France (Disneyland Paris) 2X, the most recent this July (on M points and cash). It's fabulous, esp. if you have 4+ people. We rented a car in July, but have also done a strictly public transport trip. It's a great base to explore France. We went to Provins, the newish WWI museum in Meaux, and Fountainebleu. Happy to answer any questions, just Pm me.

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have traded into Europe three times: Cornwall, England, Southern France and the Algarve in Portugal. In each case we had a 2 bedroom unit and thought they were all terrific trades. But if you are expecting central London, Paris or Lisbon you will probably be disappointed.

RichardL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott France not recommended unless you want to spend at least 5 days at Disney World. Daily train ride to and from Paris could really old.

But if you have credit card points major hotels are in every town, and memberships in credit cards or timeshare groups like Hilton, Marriott etc get
you good perks. Westin cash and points is great.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We have given up on RCI trades (for now) to Europe. Our 2 trade into Europe for 2013 and 2016were canx by RCI, one at 3 mths out, the other 11 mths out. It worked out fine for us, as we had decided we weren't going to use the one 3 mths out (I had RCI insurance). But, even though they offered an alternative, it was 2 hours away. The 2nd canx offered no options, but we had enough time to regroup. If I ever use RCI again, I will have a backup plan. What if I had bought tickets, etc.?
We have stayed @ Marriott Ile de France (Disneyland Paris) 2X, the most recent this July (on M points and cash). It's fabulous, esp. if you have 4+ people. We rented a car in July, but have also done a strictly public transport trip. It's a great base to explore France. We went to Provins, the newish WWI museum in Meaux, and Fountainebleu. Happy to answer any questions, just Pm me.
I've given up hoping for a trade into selected European resorts with RCI even though I do have an OGS going for 10/17. Our most recent trade was into Sutton Hall near Thirsk in May '15, but a 2nd week never matched. At that time we went with UKRE and did end up with a trade to Whitbarrow Village in the Lakes District for our Ireland t.s.

We have traded into Europe three times: Cornwall, England, Southern France and the Algarve in Portugal. In each case we had a 2 bedroom unit and thought they were all terrific trades. But if you are expecting central London, Paris or Lisbon you will probably be disappointed.

We've had great trades with RCI in the past- the Osborne Club in Torquay England, Four Seasons Vilamoura in Portugal, Kilconquhar in Fife Scotland, and Chateau du Maulmont in the Auvergne region of France. We've also had decent trades to Hungary, Austria & Switzerland.

If one is looking for a branded TS, you would likely be disappointed with the trades we've gotten, but for me the charm of the accommodations/resorts we've exchanged to in Europe, as well as the opportunity to visit the countryside vs. the cities (visited on other trips using hotels) is why I'm hoping for a match for next October!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott France not recommended unless you want to spend at least 5 days at Disney World. Daily train ride to and from Paris could really old.
I agree to an extent. But, I could not imagine spending more than 2 days @ DLP (we went 1 day) and I would not want to train into P more than 2 days. But, the Marriott is in an excellent choice for those with large parties,wanting space to spread out, cook meals, laundry, and AC in the summer. It is a very good location to explore other parts of France. An easy car to the new excellent WWI museum in Meaux, car or 2 euro bus ride to Provins, a restored medieval town, and 45 minutes to Vaux le Vicomte and a bit farther to Fountainebleu. Reims is also easily accessed via car or train right from DLP station. For a longer day trip, Strasbourg, with a beautiful cathedral, is 2 hrs via TGV (which we got on sale for $14 one way, first day tickets went on sale).

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It so depends on where you want to go, what you want to do there, and how much time you plan to spend at the timeshare.

For me, yes, still. We have exchanged to Europe 13x over the past 20 years and have 2 more trips planned. Each trip has been 3-4 weeks - often 3 weeks of TS + 1 week other. We have saved a good bit of $, and could never have (and would never have) done this without owning timeshares. But we don't own such expensive timeshares, and don't require luxury. We do require interesting destinations, cleanliness, enough space, and hopefully a great view of beautiful scenery. We like a mix of cities, countryside, history, culture, hiking, etc. I do feel spoiled and my bar of acceptable has risen since timesharing.

Try it once and see what you think. Maybe it's the best way to get you to plan something you never would otherwise.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake

I agree to an extent. But, I could not imagine spending more than 2 days @ DLP (we went 1 day) and I would not want to train into P more than 2 days. But, the Marriott is in an excellent choice for those with large parties,wanting space to spread out, cook meals, laundry, and AC in the summer. It is a very good location to explore other parts of France. An easy car to the new excellent WWI museum in Meaux, car or 2 euro bus ride to Provins, a restored medieval town, and 45 minutes to Vaux le Vicomte and a bit farther to Fountainebleu. Reims is also easily accessed via car or train right from DLP station. For a longer day trip, Strasbourg, with a beautiful cathedral, is 2 hrs via TGV (which we got on sale for $14 one way, first day tickets went on sale).

I agree. Paris is overrated anyway :D

DLP is an extremely poor version of its American cousin and really isn't worth visiting.

What the area around Marriot's Village D'ile de France offers however is excellent. A wealth of history, chateau's, food, wine and fantastic countryside. Very easy to drive around and offers an opportunity to experience France proper. I wouldn't view the resort as somewhere out of the way from Paris but rather an excellent base to explore a great part of France. Forget Disney, forget Paris, forget the tourist traps and see the real France with the benefit of a fantastic resort and villa to return to every evening.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We're in Scotland right now on timeshare rentals.

One into Edinburgh Residence, which was absolutely lovely & stately. Extremely high-quality service. Perfect. It would be an excellent trade for any of my fancy brand-name timeshares.

Right now we're at Hilton Craigandorrach and I feel like I've died & gone to mountain bike heaven.

This is an awesome country to visit. I'd bet any of the Hilton's in Scotland would be great.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm from Europe, so I have toured Southern Europe timeshare wise. We have stayed in good and "bad" apartments.

We haven't done major city vacations in Europe, and frankly they are not on our todo list, least of all paris.

Generally the timeshares in Europe are smaller compared to US size. Most don't have the same deluxe feeling as some of the ones in the US have.

If you have a location you would like to visit, then look in the Rci directory if there are any resorts you might like. Also check when the latest review is from, this could give an indication if the resort is being deposited or not and also if the review is good/bad.

Then search for online reviews other places, and if everything checks out setup an ogs.

I know that Marriott have a hotel in Copenhagen but if that is part of Marriotts timeshare division I don't know. At the very best is would say that it is similar to the vacation village in Orlando. Then again VV seems better when I think about it.

If you only need some r&r then I can recommend the resort group called ANFI on the canaries island. In Rci you can find 4 hotels (excluding anfi emerald) that carries the name of ANFI xxxx I would say they are almost on par when compared to size and deluxe feeling.

We too are picky about our resorts/hotels but if you want to go traveling you can't always be picky.

I'm currently traveling to Orlando and doing a split stay at DVC SSR and AKV kidani. The AKV room, which btw is a studio has not anything to do with a deluxe room. We get paper plates, plastic knives and so on. The room has a nice size, but the interior is very tired. In my book a moderate hotel could easily compete with that. The SSR room which is a 1br is nicer and also has a more uptodate feeling about it. The savanna view at AKV is the only thing that this room has going for it.

For those who haven't stayed at AKV in a studio I would say that the studio in size and deluxe feeling is about the same at the B side at VV, which is the smallest room.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hello,
I am thinking of taking a trip next May to Europe and am wondering if timesharing there makes sense.

The reason I ask is that we are VERY spoiled timesharing in the places we like to travel (Orlando, Scottsdale, Whistler, Hawaii) where I can easily find a place that is worth the $1000 investment for my trade (the price I conservatively estimate my SDO week costs me to trade.)

Is there any properties worth targeting in Europe that are worth that much?

Thanks!

I sent you a PM

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
A lot depends on the time of year

A lot depends on the time of year. If it's Jan-Mar, timeshares are a dime a dozen in many parts of Europe, other than ski areas. Week-long rentals are available for under $500 then...so why trade? If it's Jul-Aug, though, you will be very unlikely to find a trade...unless you are trading down. Everything then gets booked well in advance, and principally by owners.

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you guys just talked me into staying at the Marriott near Paris Disneyland. I was concerned that a week might be too much as I agree more than two days at Disneyland Paris seems undesirable.

But exploring the countryside, plus a day trip or two into Paris, coupled with the ability to get caught up on laundry would make this very much worth a week during a 3-4 week European trip.

Boy, first world problems we have to choose from. :)

Thanks all!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
A lot depends on the time of year. If it's Jan-Mar, timeshares are a dime a dozen in many parts of Europe, other than ski areas. Week-long rentals are available for under $500 then...so why trade? If it's Jul-Aug, though, you will be very unlikely to find a trade...unless you are trading down. Everything then gets booked well in advance, and principally by owners.

Yes I agree about summer months being difficult to get. We've gotten our 3 trades in spring or fall to country-side locations, which we have enjoyed. We didn't expect luxury (and one of the places we got was definitely at the other end of the luxury scale :shrug:), and we mostly used our units as a place to sleep.

I generally wouldn't trade a high MF unit for a Europe one, unless I have lots of extra points or it's in exactly the location I want. I think better to pay for an RCI extra vacation/II getaway, or rent from a recommended resort.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pmuppet, we rented a car from SIXT at the Magic Circus hotel (take the free #54? bus from the train station). There is a small, but fully stocked grocier at Bailey Romainvillers, a very small town near the M (10 minute, very nice walk) and also a fruit stand, a butcher, and lovely patisserie. We walked or took the car several times to the above. M also has a small store onsite, with basic necessities. M rents bikes, which I didn't get a chance to do. It's a really great place, and the space is HUGE. We ask for a unit at the front backing to the Giverny gardens. The local bus picks up right at the M for DLP or Val d'Europe (upscale shopping mall), so you might not need a car for the entire week. M also has a shuttle, 4 eruos RT to DLP train station. If you book the day they come out, you can get direct TGV tickets from DLP to Strasbourg for a low price, an excellent day trip via train, as well.
You might want to make a cash reservation now that you can canx later, in case a trade via II doesn't come thru.
Another option via RCI is Regency. We actually (amazingly) got a 2BR trade for July, but, with no AC, decided to stick with the M (where we had been before and really liked). R might be a good option, if you want to go into Paris more than 2X during the week.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I think you guys just talked me into staying at the Marriott near Paris Disneyland. I was concerned that a week might be too much as I agree more than two days at Disneyland Paris seems undesirable.

But exploring the countryside, plus a day trip or two into Paris, coupled with the ability to get caught up on laundry would make this very much worth a week during a 3-4 week European trip.

Thanks all!

We stayed at the Marriott DLP too and it was quite nice and large.
I believe the Marriott had a few pay tours/excursions to other country side towns for guests. I would have liked to have gone on one of them, but it didn't fit in our schedule. We didn't rent a car and took the bus & train almost everywhere. Mostly into Paris, since it was our first trip to France :D

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
When we have rented a car for our stay at Village D'ile de France we have either picked it up at Paris Orly airport or at the TGV station at Disneyland. We have never flown in to CDG so can't offer a view on ease of car rental there.

By far the easiest option was at the TGV station. The drive to the resort is short and the roads quiet so it provides a gentle introduction to driving in France rather than being hurled straight onto the motorways around Paris that you would have driving from the airport. Of course it means a bit more expense and hassle in taking the train from the airport to DLP but it's not a long journey and the trains are comfortable.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
The DRI resort in Vincennes is in a fabulous location. Short walk to the metro and in 20 minutes you are in the heart of Paris. And Vincennes itself is a wonderful town to explore. We've been there 4 or 5 times. And the DRI resort in Mougins near Cannes is a short bus ride to the train that will take you to all the little Riviera towns, as well as to Monaco and over the border to Ventimiglia, Italy.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Hilton Timeshare in Tuscany, Italy in a 2 bdrm & 1 bdrm for 10 nights. It was so awesome. We went to so many little towns and major cities. You need a car and have to drive as well as take the train to avoid driving in the larger cities. That worked just fine for us.

Also did an RCI exchange in Scotland. It was an absolutely beautiful area. The only problem was the tiny little road to get to the timeshare scared the c--- out of me, and NO WIFI.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.

Thanks all!

Sounds like a good idea. You will have to let us know where else in Europe you will be staying.
Silentg

jmiller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott DLP Property - Great Experience

Highly recommend it, but your very first stop when you get there needs to be the Concierge Desk at this Marriott. They will explain the Specific Train Passes to Get, How to Ride the City Subway System with its Excellent Smart Phone apps. Have you ride the Tourist Open Top Bus around the whole loop with out getting off, using one of these special passes, to get orientated to where things are at in the City, and the nearby Subway Stops. Then using the other passes riding the Subway and Train system to get everywhere.
A week will keep you very busy. There is a lot to do between Paris, Trips all over the country, and some Bus Tours. Again the Concierge there makes the trip.
One issue we had with Timeshares in Europe, is realizing that the People In Europe want to get out of the Big Towns for Vacation. So they buy Timeshares in their Resort Area's, and that's primarily what is for trade.