• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is this for real???

idontknow

Reaction score
Hi all!

My husband and I just returned from our Hawaiian vacation and were suckered into a presentation with Shell on Thursday. We purchased 2500 "points" for about $14,000.

Ive been reading on here that you could purchase resale and on ebay for $1.00??

There is a listing of 2750 points with Shell, $0 closing costs, $0 transfer fees and a yearly maintenance fee of $575 which is essentially what we were roped into. The buy it now price is $5.00!!

Am I missing something?? One would be foolish not to do this!! Right? If this is essentially true, Im going to rescind right away, following the instructions to a "T" of course. ;)

Thanks for any insight.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

My husband and I just returned from our Hawaiian vacation and were suckered into a presentation with Shell on Thursday. We purchased 2500 "points" for about $14,000.

Ive been reading on here that you could purchase resale and on ebay for $1.00??

There is a listing of 2750 points with Shell, $0 closing costs, $0 transfer fees and a yearly maintenance fee of $575 which is essentially what we were roped into. The buy it now price is $5.00!!

Am I missing something?? One would be foolish not to do this!! Right? If this is essentially true, Im going to rescind right away, following the instructions to a "T" of course. ;)

Thanks for any insight.

I don't know shell but I can assure you that the prices on the secondary market are for real. Rescind now. If after you research this stuff for yourself you decide a purchase from the developer makes sense (I doubt that you will) a salesman will be available to help

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind, carefully, take your time before buying, I personally would wait to see how much Wyndham changes Shell before committing.

idontknow

Reaction score
Thanks so much! We will carefully be rescinding Monday morning. :)

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love that people find TUG before it is too late. Too few, unfortunately.

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a floating week (not points) at a Shell managed property that I 'bot' for $1.00. The property is very nice but it seems to me that the annual maintenance fees are a bit high. The advice you are getting here to rescind - and then take some research time before you buy on the resale market - is EXCELLENT advice.

persia

Reaction score
Typically Timeshare sales droids answer the question about resale value with a non-answer like "well it's real estate ad you know what happens to real estate."

No timeshare is worth more than when it's sold the first time, but some hold a higher percentage of resale value than others. Rescind and do your research, I've never seen a timeshare "deal" that wouldn't get offered again by a sales droid.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much! We will carefully be rescinding Monday morning. :)

For your financial well being PLEASE do this. The resales are for literally pennies on the dollar meaning you CAN buy the exact same thing for $1000 or less that you are being charged $14,000 for. The difference really is that huge. We here at TUG are always happy when we see someone get introduced to the value of timesharing but also finds us in time to save rather than paying tens of thousands too much to get started. Many here had their first experience in timeshare by buying overpriced retail from the developer (like Shell) only to find out how little they could have paid. Over time it is the annual fees, not the purchase price, that really matters.

Be thankful you found us in time. We'll be happy to help get you up to speed on what timeshare / system would be best for you (it may or may not be Shell) and how to buy it right. But first do your part by rescinding so you aren't stuck with a bad decision to buy a good product but in the wrong way.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG!!

I did buy a 3500 Shell California contract off of Ebay for $1.00 and it included a free year's use of points and all the transfer fees, etc. Because Shell's annual dues are so high, I wouldn't recommend purchasing unless you are sure that you want to use their resorts.

You have found this site now. You can spend some time looking at all the choices and make sure you only buy what you really want.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG!!You have found this site now. You can spend some time looking at all the choices and make sure you only buy what you really want.

And with Wyndham at the helm Maintenance Fees and miscellaneous charges are guaranteed to rise

idontknow

Reaction score
Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you to everyone for all of your advice!

Went to the post office first thing this morning and sent our cancellation letter and signed cancellation form back to Shell, per their instructions. Paid the extra $20 to have it sent overnight just to be sure.

It's funny, Thursday morning after the presentation we were on the fence. I needed to step away from the sales pitch and get something to eat. As we were having lunch I was trying to quickly do research to see what we were about to embark upon and I found these forums. Didn't get to read very much before we went back in and signed. Came back here to read some more and look where it got me. ;)

Thanks again,

Kim

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Shell MF

Shell MF are high but you also get some things for it.

Shell resorts have daily housekeeping. They will change your towels, take out the trash and make up your bed with existing linens.

They are also in some fairly costly areas like Hawaii, Napa and San Francisco.

Like everything, the issue is whether that is worth it to you.

We decided it was and own 13,500 points in the West club. We love our San Francisco and Napa resorts.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
A member of TUG here gave me a small Shell points contract. Paid MFs for 2013 and included banked points for 2012. With their USE Year spanning between 2013 and 2014 (June 2013 thru May 2014), I used all 2 years of points to get a 6 night stay at an AZ resort during Spring Training 2014 in a 1bdr. I actually did Spring Training 2013 and visit that resort and toured the units (with my sister).

TUGGERs are the best!