• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is this correct?

hotmike98

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called vacation planning today to try and reserve two 2BR units in Slovang for the same weekend in October, and was told I cannot do that. I booked a 3BR unit, but there are four couples going, and the reviews appear to be that the 3 BR would be too cramped for 8 people.

Can I use bonus points if I have already booked for that period (Oct 31-Nov 2)? Should I make a cancellable reservation somewhere else nearby?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about WorldMark Solvang, it sounds like you ran into the weekend only rules. From the guidelines: an Owner may have only one Weekend Only reservation at a time for each block of 5,000 Vacation Credits Owned.

I'm not sure you could make a bonus time reservation in addition to the credits reservation. That would still be 2 weekend only reservations.

What you could do is add Sunday night to one of the 2-br reservations. Then it isn't a weekend only reservation. The Sunday night doesn't have to be at Solvang, it could be at a completely different resort. Normally people pick a Blue season studio for that extra throw away day. I'm not sure if anything is in Blue season for that particular weekend, but WorldMark Estes park is White season. If you add Sunday night in an Estes Park studio to one of the Solvang 2-br reservations it is no longer a weekend only reservation. It would cost an extra 600 credits to do that, plus housekeeping. You'd have to decide if it was worth the extra cost.

Edit to add - make that Thursday night, not Sunday, then it's only 550 credits.

Last edited:

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called vacation planning today to try and reserve two 2BR units in Slovang for the same weekend in October, and was told I cannot do that. I booked a 3BR unit, but there are four couples going, and the reviews appear to be that the 3 BR would be too cramped for 8 people.

Can I use bonus points if I have already booked for that period (Oct 31-Nov 2)? Should I make a cancellable reservation somewhere else nearby?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As Fred said, you could have run into the weekend only rule. How many annual credits do you own?

Did you know that "weekend only" is defined by WM as Friday and Saturday only? If you book 3 nights Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and leave Sunday evening instead of morning (or Monday morning), you may book as many units as you have credits for. And you will have an extra day at the resort. :)

The count for bonus time weekend only (again, Friday/Saturday only) reservations is different from that of credit reservations. For credits, it's 1 weekend only (Friday/Saturday) reservation at a time for every 5,000 credits. For bonus time, it's one weekend only reservation per 10,000 credits per calendar quarter.

hotmike98

TUG Member
Reaction score
not enough credits

Hanging by my thumbs here. I sort of "inherited" these WM credits. My mom bought them for all of the family to use, but she kept forgetting to pay the MF, and was only current on her payment plan (of course she bought retail), so I paid off the balance (about $1400) and she gave me co-ownership. There were credits about to expire, so I booked a 3BR place in Fiji for spring break next year (the airfare was within $200 pp of the cost of Hawaii, where I own a unit at Kona Coast).

Anyway there are now only 2200 credits (plus the 6K I can borrow from next year). I guess my option now is to see if they will bet me buy bonus time for3 nights for either a studio, one or two bedroom. Would that take me out of the two weekends rule? Guess I will make a cancellable reservation at a hotel nearby; then if I can use bonus credit, I will cancel the hotel.

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
. . .

Anyway there are now only 2200 credits (plus the 6K I can borrow from next year). I guess my option now is to see if they will bet me buy bonus time for3 nights for either a studio, one or two bedroom. Would that take me out of the two weekends rule? Guess I will make a cancellable reservation at a hotel nearby; then if I can use bonus credit, I will cancel the hotel.

Since you said you tried to make a reservation for two 2-br units I figured you had enough credits to do that. If the 2,200 credits (plus the 6,000 to borrow) that are available are in addition to the Solvang 3-br reservation you made, you have plenty of credits to book two 2-br units plus one additional throw away day. Cancelling the 3-br reservation would free up those credits for the two 2-br reservations. If they are total credits, including the ones in the 3-bedroom reservation, then you don't have enough for the two 2-br's and you can't do that.

I'm not sure about the weekend only credit reservation plus a weekend only bonus time reservation. You could call the Vacation Planning Center and ask that question.

hotmike98

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks Fred. Yeah, I was a few hundred credits short (unless I reduce my Tahiti from 3 BR to 2--so far, I can't get any of our friends to agree to join us) I was under the impression I could rent credits, but that may not be the case. I will call WM and see if they will allow me to purchase bonus time.

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks Fred. Yeah, I was a few hundred credits short (unless I reduce my Tahiti from 3 BR to 2--so far, I can't get any of our friends to agree to join us) I was under the impression I could rent credits, but that may not be the case. I will call WM and see if they will allow me to purchase bonus time.

They will not allow you to use bonus time until 14 days before check-in.

There are credits for rent ads here on WMOwners:
http://www.wmowners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=67

Do a private message to respond with negotiations.

You may also put a free Credits Wanted ad on WMOwners:
http://www.wmowners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=68

Read the Announcements to get familiar with how to do it. The format needs to be as described here:
http://www.wmowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17040

I don't have personal experience with having both a credits weekend-only and a bonus-time weekend-only reservation, but there's nothing in the Club Guidelines against it. The Guidelines are in Exhibit 4 of the Owner Education Handbook:

http://www.worldmarktheclub.com/education/pdfs/basic_owner_ed_handbook.pdf

Read section A6, C10, and C11 of the Guidelines for the Weekend Only rules.

Last edited: