• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is this an unwise/impractical idea? [Probably!]

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I have a friend who owns Vistana week at the Westin Desert Willows (not sure if 1 or 2 bdrm) which I don't think he uses - at all. I suspect he is paying the maintenance fees and doing nothing with it (he can afford to do this so I think it is a reasonable suspicion; he never talks about using it in any way). I am considering offering to pay the maintenance fees for a year for these purposes: to learn about using the Vistana system (I do not own Vistana), and to see what the trading power is like with an idea of maybe buying his or into that system. My idea would be to pay the MF and have him give me access to his account for the year. He may just offer to let me use it.

This is probably not the best idea because I don't really want to stay there; it would just be for trading and learning purposes. I also think there are better Vistana's if I am even thinking about buying (which we are really not right yet). And 2022 is going to be a hard year for trading due to the covid back up. I also am not sure if "posing" as owner would be easy with Vistana. Thoughts anyone?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am considering offering to pay the maintenance fees for a year for these purposes: to learn about using the Vistana system (I do not own Vistana)

I think you will learn more about how to use the Vistana system by just reading threads here than actually using it, especially since you understand how timeshares work in general.

and to see what the trading power is like with an idea of maybe buying his or into that system.

Assuming your friend owns a developer week, then you would be able to view the Vistana internal exchange site and trade to another Vistana resort. This has nothing to do with “trading power” as all StarOptions are equal, and the only criteria are having StarOptions, how many SOs you have, and what resorts are available.

You won’t be able to experience true Interval a international trading power unless you actually deposit the week with II, and this may or may not be the best use of that week. Though if this is a 2-bed, you could deposit a 1-bed in II to test it and use the SOs from the other 1-bed (if you do this I would suggest depositing the small 1-bed, so you then have more SOs to play with in the internal system). And...this assumes your friend has a Platinum Plus (winter) week with the most SOs so that you actually can trade for a similar size unit in another desirable resort during high season.

He may just offer to let me use it.

If you only want to view the internal exchange system, that’s what I would do. Or perhaps even better offer to help him use the system and do this together over zoom, etc so that both of you can learn how to use it. It wouldn’t surprise me if one of the reasons he doesn’t use it is that he thinks he has to call to make a reservation and simply doesn’t get around to it.

And 2022 is going to be a hard year for trading due to the covid back up.

We have been discussing this on other threads, and I’m unconvinced it will be an issue other than reservations less than 120 days out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi Ken -
I am finding SO reservations (and Home reservations) being in very high demand for Maui - that I haven’t observed in years past.
I had to bank a ton of SOs from 2020.
And I am refreshing at exactly 9pm PST.
Hope all is well. We will be at WKORV in early Sept if you are around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Hi Ken -
I am finding SO reservations (and Home reservations) being in very high demand for Maui - that I haven’t observed in years past.
I had to bank a ton of SOs from 2020.
And I am refreshing at exactly 9pm PST.
Hope all is well. We will be at WKORV in early Sept if you are around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, home reservations should be expected to be in higher demand. I have my eye on a few dates that seem available, but aren’t yet in the SO reservation window.

I was tempted to go in Sept but wasn’t convinced I would feel comfortable flying by then, so I booked a week on the beach in Southern California at an independent timeshare instead which I can drive to. Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
FWIW, Desert Willow is a nice resort that's worth trying, unless you just don't like the desert for some reason. We own there and go 2-3 times per year, it's an easy getaway from the Bay Area and is a pleasant place to spend a week even if, like this year, we're working remotely while we are there.

I don't think your plan is crazy so long as you actually use the week to travel somewhere. But 2021 and 2022 are going to be tougher years than usual because of all the extended 2020 StarOptions. If you can plan a year ahead and book during the Home Resort period you'll be okay, but I think it'll be tough for close-in SO bookings and II trades.