• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is this a scam?

jacklync

Reaction score
I placed an ad to sell my timeshare. I've had two responses so far from people that want to send the money upfront. The latest email says they want to send not only the cost of the timeshare but attorney fees, etc. as part of a cashiers check, then I'm to return to them the portion that belongs to the attorney. Is this something that happens when you place an ad? Are these people scam artists or are they really serious? Thanks for any info you can share. :confused:

J

JoeMid

They are seriously scammers, ignore them. You can tell what a real email that shows interest in your timeshare. Use common sense.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, scammers.

Long after you have sent them the excess amount, your bank will advise you that the check from the scammers that you deposited is fraudulent and you'll be out however much you sent.

This scam is discussed several times each week on this forum. Although it sounds like an easy way to sell your timeshare, you'll be as sorry if you fall for it as you will if you list your week with a company that asks for an upfront fee (also a scam).

jacklync

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I thought something smelled fishy. :( :mad:

joycapecod

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 1 bedroom unit at Cape Winds listed for sale on TUG and I have been getting emails from ryan01_2006@yahoo.com requesting all the info and the price etc.

So, being the good seller that I am I responed with all the info and more. He mailed me a check which I received a few days ago. It was drawn on Bank of America. Now, this check looks like the real deal EXCEPT that the name of the organization is spelled incorrectly and the address of said org is spelled incorrectly.

Of course when he emailed to see if I had received it; I responded that "oh, that's what the check is for. There was no remittance advise with it, just a check in an envelope".

The envelope was mailed from East London., no return address. Today I received this email:

Thanks for your reply,am very happy that atlast you recieved the cheque,so i will like you to deduct your own money and send the remaining balance to MY MANAGER via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER so that they will be able to come and inspect it before leaving there ans to use it to get some things that i will like to be there also_Okay

This is my MANAGER Details that you would need to send the REST OF THE MONEY TO via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER .

MANAGER NAME............{ ANDREW THOMAS }

MANAGER ADDRESS................4,BREAM GARDEN EASTHAM,LONDON E6 6HX UNITED KINGDOM.

Here is a WESTERN UNION OUTLET around you where you can easily transfer the money TODAY;

1.) SUPER STOP & SHOP #12
ROUTE 6A AND MERCHANTS ROAD
SANDWICH, MA 02563
Tel: (508) 833-1302

2.) SHAWS SUPERMARKET #554
2260 STATE RD
CEDARVILLE, MA 02360
Tel: (508) 833-2975

You can go to any of the outlet to make the western union money transfer to the MANAGER in UK

I will be expecting your mail TODAY with a copy of the the money transfer details to the MANAGER, so that he can schedule meet up the the arrange that we have made.Okay

Please remember that you are required to forward the following money transfer details below, after you have done the transfer TODAY.

1 - MTCN / CONTROL NUMBER {10 digits number}

2 - SENDERS NAME AND ADDRESS

3 - AMOUNT SENT AFTER TRANSFER CHARGES HAVE BEEN DEDUCTED

As soon as the MANAGER confirms the money was properly sent,they will IMMEDIATELY proceed with the plan as soon as possible
Thanks.

My response:

Guess what...the check is a fraud, fake or what ever you want to call it. You should hope to live long enough to get a Western Union money transfer from me.

Play you MAIL FRAUD game on someone else.

So, dear TUGGERS, please be advised that especially if you have an ad on an open venue you will likely get someone trying to scam you.

Last edited:

LauraS93

Reaction score
So sad that this kind of crap goes on. Those scammers seem to come out in droves whenever there are timeshares involved.

Dsprings

TUG Member
Reaction score
Empire Advertsing Concepts

This is another sales S C A M!! They will promote the sales meetings they conduct throughout the country to sell your week at top dollar amounts. Once you sign-up, you never hear from them. If they do leave a message, you will never get a hold of them. Stick with TUG or Redweek.

SteveB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is This a SCAM!

In a somewhat similar form, I have received e-mail from a Lyone Johnson from Africa that wanted to rent my timeshare but not naming the week or resort. She? claimed a client owed like 5800 and I would send her the difference (same scam as before). She then replied to my e-mail requiring a cashiers check for the exact amount of the rental as a Jessica L. Johnson agreeing to the exact amount still not stating what week she? was requesting. This still sounds like the same scam. Not comfortable with someone stating they are in Africa and why do they request a phone number?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Steve -

Your answer is contained in all of the previous posts in this thread. Any time someone asks for money for a rental or sale that you expect to get paid for, it's a scam! Period!

However, just like the Nigerian scams, there are many, many people trying to perpetrate this fraud. Thus, the names and details will differ, but the result is the same. You deposit a check and send the "refund". Several weeks later your bank will notify you that the large check you deposited was fraudulent and your account is being charged back for that amount plus the bad check charge.

greenwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been receiving an email from davidkings2006@yahoo.com claiming that he is interested in buying our timeshare and has already sent the check. I can tell he doesn't know English very well by the way he has worded some of his responses to our emails. We have asked him several times to send us his address and phone number, but he never does. What should I do with the check when it comes in the mail? :confused:

SteveB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think joycapecod answered your question above with the response.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
greenwood -

I agree with Steve. Also, see the second paragraph of my post just above yours.

Thus, the best advice is to simply dump the check. Or file it away, if you wish, but do not deposit it or you will incur a nasty bank charge!