• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is this a good deal for hybrid direct from Marriott?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have other friends who are Hyatt points owners and do the same thing.
Which gives me an opportunity to points out that often MVC is not the best option for many families. One should look at where they want to go, how they'll use it and then decide what the best system (or systems) are best for them. We actually own Bluegreen, DVC and MVC and use them all to their strengths as well as both II & RCI.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to buy from the developer, take advantage of an additional $2000 credit. You merely have to show proof of a very recent 1 night stay at any of the 30 Marriott Hotel brands, regardless of what you paid for it. It even can work, if you stayed there on an award night certificate!

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
If you are going to buy from the developer, take advantage of an additional $2000 credit. You merely have to show proof of a very recent 1 night stay at any of the 30 Marriott Hotel brands, regardless of what you paid for it. It even can work, if you stayed there on an award night certificate!

This just shows the huge profit margin you have when you buy something at ROFR for $2-$3 and resell it for $13-$16...

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
This just shows the huge profit margin you have when you buy something at ROFR for $2-$3 and resell it for $13-$16...

... and, the big loss realized when the existing owner sells at $2-$3 per point after paying $13-$16. And, the new purchaser pays abhorrent junk fees to make his purchase work.

I can't think of many things that go down in market value at this rate.

Well, let me think - the old ZZZZ Best stock in the 1980's suffered a similar loss when the fraud was discovered. But, that was fraud.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
We have been considering adding some sort of timeshare or timeshare points to our portfolio for random 3-5 day trips here and there throughout the year, and also allowing our kids and their SO's to use and go somewhere from time to time. Perhaps we would use it occasionally to take a full week somewhere in the Caribbean or Spain or Hawaii. We can afford purchasing something from Marriott (or resale, of course) and like the MVC resorts, so I'm just trying to find that right combination of weeks and/or points that is cost-effective, like @Dean mentioned.

I would also recommend that you look at Vistana (formerly Starwood Vacation Ownership, now part of Marriott Vacation Club) and read some of the stickies in that forum.

Some of the Vistana resorts are what we refer to as "mandatory" which means that, due to some legacy issues, even resale weeks can use points to trade internally. Those trade would be within the Vistana network, which is a lot fewer resorts than the Marriott branded resorts, but it offers exchange opportunities to Hawaii, Orlando, St John, Bahamas (Atlantis), Mexico, Colorado, and a handful of other places.

There are unknowns about how inventory will be affected now that those weeks will soon also have the opportunity to exchange for MVC points, but even if there was an impact it would likely happen over many years.

When you mentioned "random 3-5 day trips here and there throughout the year" and "Perhaps we would use it occasionally to take a full week somewhere in the Caribbean or Spain or Hawaii" it occurred to me that a Platinum 2BR lockoff at Westin Kierland, for example, might fit your needs quite well (I own multiple units there). You'd get quite a bit of "point currency" which you can use in the manner you described (excluding Spain trades - those could happen only via II). If you don't use it in a given year you can also rent it out as full 2BR or just a 1BR portion, and it rents extremely well in the Platinum season.

You can play in the Vistana sandbox quite nicely but if you bought a Vistana week you will probably at some point get offered the opportunity to enroll it in MVC if you made an additional purchase from them. If that's something you think you might do, then a Vistana "mandatory" week in Maui may offer more bang for the buck over the long run (converts to substantially more DC points), but will cost significantly more in maintenance fees each year.

Since this is the MVC board, I'll stop being a schill for Vistana :)

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know resale points can be bought for about $6-7/pp including the junk fees so I am curious to hear what people think of this.

My wife and I attended a virtual presentation with Marriott and one of the offers they presented was a hybrid: 2BR Oceanside platinum floating week at St. Kitts, which can be exchanged for 4025 points, MF $1950, for a purchase price of $37,400, which works out to be $9.29/pp. They would also add 7,500 “plus points” which can be used within 2 years. (Not sure why it’s 4025 points, seems like an odd number.)

Still, for a direct deal, what do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I seem to remember getting that same pitch for less than that. But, I talked to the sales rep at MVC in Salt Lake City, Judy Zarella 800-540-0255. She's honest, she doesn't push. There are other deals in their inventory. Tell her Rancho Palos Verdes says hi if you do talk to her. We didn't take it because we are getting older and our traveling days are getting fewer.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I seem to remember getting that same pitch for less than that. But, I talked to the sales rep at MVC in Salt Lake City, Judy Zarella 800-540-0255. She's honest, she doesn't push. There are other deals in their inventory. Tell her Rancho Palos Verdes says hi if you do talk to her. We didn't take it because we are getting older and our traveling days are getting fewer.
Just curious....at what age did you start to travel less, and why (cost, health, lack of desire)?

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious....at what age did you start to travel less, and why (cost, health, lack of desire)?
We've been traveling to HI, the Carib, Mexico and the East Coast the past 10 years but haven't been to Europe since 2013. Looking at that, I guess it doesn't seem like we've cut back that much. Covid, of course, shelved a lot of plans. And, my husband's knee and back problems - a couple of surgeries, etc. - have kept us closer to home. We are in our 70s and generally in good health but considering the ticking clock, adding additional maintenance fees and destination club dues - we own in Aruba - just didn't make any sense. It's more the airline experience that's making me less inclined to do big trips. It's just so, so god awful, as you know. Cost figures in to some decisions as we are now on fixed incomes but it's not a big deterrent. There are some countries I'd like to check off the bucket list but it will be at a slower pace. MVC sales try to tell us they're selling to clients in their 80s and 90s (yeah, right). Not sure what'll give out first, the body or the mind (haha) but I'll keep going until that happens. We bought in 2004 feeling good about the purchase as it was with a respected company. A few years later they spun off the Vacation Club. Would I buy again? Maybe. But I feel some of the Marriott cache was lost with that move. As an example, we used to have a dedicated vacation planner and she was wonderful. Now, it's whoever answers the phone. They really do try hard - and some are very good - but MVC just isn't putting the resources into developing its staff or, frankly, its product. It's really more about the P/E ratio. Hope my rambling answers some of your questions.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
We've been traveling to HI, the Carib, Mexico and the East Coast the past 10 years but haven't been to Europe since 2013. Looking at that, I guess it doesn't seem like we've cut back that much. Covid, of course, shelved a lot of plans. And, my husband's knee and back problems - a couple of surgeries, etc. - have kept us closer to home. We are in our 70s and generally in good health but considering the ticking clock, adding additional maintenance fees and destination club dues - we own in Aruba - just didn't make any sense. It's more the airline experience that's making me less inclined to do big trips. It's just so, so god awful, as you know. Cost figures in to some decisions as we are now on fixed incomes but it's not a big deterrent. There are some countries I'd like to check off the bucket list but it will be at a slower pace. MVC sales try to tell us they're selling to clients in their 80s and 90s (yeah, right). Not sure what'll give out first, the body or the mind (haha) but I'll keep going until that happens. We bought in 2004 feeling good about the purchase as it was with a respected company. A few years later they spun off the Vacation Club. Would I buy again? Maybe. But I feel some of the Marriott cache was lost with that move. As an example, we used to have a dedicated vacation planner and she was wonderful. Now, it's whoever answers the phone. They really do try hard - and some are very good - but MVC just isn't putting the resources into developing its staff or, frankly, its product. It's really more about the P/E ratio. Hope my rambling answers some of your questions.
Yes, much appreciated. I’m soon to be 61, and I think about retirement a lot, and with that comes the pondering “do I have enough to retire today”. I know I will want to travel more in the early years of retirement, but am always curious when that desire will start to fade. My wife’s and my parents are in their mid to upper 80’s, and neither go anywhere they can’t drive to anymore, and even that is rare. So I figure by the time most of us are not too far into our 80’s, we are likely not spending a whole lot of $$ anymore (I realize there are exceptions). Anyhow, appreciate your insights, such knowledge helps in my own retirement pondering.

Last edited: