• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there something I should know???

avad88

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know there are differing opinions about RCI points vs. weeks, etc., but after dealing with RCI weeks fairly successfully, we would like to buy an inexpensive RCI points timeshare for last minute vacations, etc. For some time I've been watching e-bay and even checked into the leasing option. Most have horribly high maintenance (especially the FL units), so I'm passing on them. It seems as if the Las Vegas resorts (Grand View in Las Vegas and Cliffs at Peace Canyon) have several for sale on e-bay for RCI points. Their ratio of points to maintenance seems about average, but I wonder if there is something I should know before I try to buy in Vegas?
Anyone know anything or are there any words of wisdom before I start to bid? I've learned a lot from you guys and I know to double check with the resort on the accuracy of the e-bay ad's maintenance fee. I'm assuming the timeshare and closing company would take care of setting up the RCI points account, etc.
Thanks
Ava

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vegas (like Orlando) has a large supply of TS units and neither location tends to trade as well as a comprable unit in less developed (but still desirable) areas.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I know there are differing opinions about RCI points vs. weeks, etc., but after dealing with RCI weeks fairly successfully, we would like to buy an inexpensive RCI points timeshare for last minute vacations, etc. For some time I've been watching e-bay and even checked into the leasing option. Most have horribly high maintenance (especially the FL units), so I'm passing on them. It seems as if the Las Vegas resorts (Grand View in Las Vegas and Cliffs at Peace Canyon) have several for sale on e-bay for RCI points. Their ratio of points to maintenance seems about average, but I wonder if there is something I should know before I try to buy in Vegas?
Anyone know anything or are there any words of wisdom before I start to bid? I've learned a lot from you guys and I know to double check with the resort on the accuracy of the e-bay ad's maintenance fee. I'm assuming the timeshare and closing company would take care of setting up the RCI points account, etc.
Thanks
Ava
The biggest thing about buying any RCI point TS is to make sure that the week you're buying is already converted to RCI points.

Since most resorts charge a huge fee to convert and no fee if already converted. Buying a week which is already converted will generally not cost you anymore, so BUY A CONVERTED WEEK!!

philsfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vegas (like Orlando) has a large supply of TS units and neither location tends to trade as well as a comprable unit in less developed (but still desirable) areas.

but since points are points, trade power isn't important. You want to have the impression that the resort will be well maintained so it doesn't lose it's gold or silver rating and decrease the number of points you get every year.

avad88

TUG Member
Reaction score
but since points are points, trade power isn't important. You want to have the impression that the resort will be well maintained so it doesn't lose it's gold or silver rating and decrease the number of points you get every year.

I didn't realize that the points could change or decrease. I know maintenance fees usually increase each year, but the points value can change too??? Does that happen often?
Wow! Something else for me to think about.....
Ava

philsfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the points could change or decrease. I know maintenance fees usually increase each year, but the points value can change too??? Does that happen often?
Wow! Something else for me to think about.....
Ava

It doesn't happen often but it happens.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should seriously consider doing the 3 year lease program and see if RCI Points works for you as well as you think it will before making a long-term committment of ownership. Many of us who own points would have gone that route instead if it were available at the time.

If during the 3 year lease period it does not live up to your expectations, you will have no on-going responsibility to pay maintenance fees for years to come, plus possible Special Assessments.

It has become very difficult to sell a timeshare week or Points package, or to even give it away for free. No one knows what the future holds. In these troubled economic times, there are fears of developers going bankrupt, and/or maintenance fees skyrocketing if many owners walk away from their obligation to pay the maint. fees and loans. If owners have to file for bankruptcy, they will not worry about developers and resorts suing them, or filing liens against their property and assets, or "dinging" their credit reports.

And also, RCI is notorious for changing the rules of the Points program, and rarely does it benefit the members.

With all these potential problems on the horizon, you should think long and hard about making a long-term committment to ownership, especially when you have a lease option available.

I've been buying RCI Points packages through Ebay, but only those with an "underlying" week that I'll be glad to use every year, or will be able to rent (or sell) easily if our needs change. These type of weeks will have higher annual maintenance fees but it would be a lot costlier in the long run if I bought at a resort that I would never go to, and could not sell or give away.

Are you sure that Points will yield the type of vacations you desire? They work particularly well for people who can travel on very short notice--like one to two weeks notice--or in the off or shoulder seasons. But those same weeks are often available as "Last Minute" or "Extra Holidays" at a very low cost, and again, with no long-term ongoing responsibility.

Last edited:

avad88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the input--that is why I love TUGGERS--I get such great insight from all of you who have "been there and done that!" I think I will get more info on the RCI points leasing option, although there are some great deals on e-bay.... Of course, I guess there is a reason for the great deals--someone wants to unload those points packages.
Thanks again.
Ava

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Comparing apples and oranges...

Thanks for the input--that is why I love TUGGERS--I get such great insight from all of you who have "been there and done that!" I think I will get more info on the RCI points leasing option, although there are some great deals on e-bay.... Of course, I guess there is a reason for the great deals--someone wants to unload those points packages.
Thanks again.
Ava

I respectfully suggest that in making these particular comparisons that you not lose sight of the fact that the eBay "deals" are purchases of ownership. Once you buy it, you own it --- until someday you become the one offering a "deal" and (trying) to give it away on eBay for a dollar or so.

The RTU lease option, on the other hand, has a defined and finite time period. If, after three years, you are not satisfied with the results, you can simply decline to renew, turn on your heel and walk away with no further effort, obligations --- or annual maintenance fees. That's a distinctly different (and in my opinion, far more desirable) situation than taking on the albatross of ownership to hang around your neck --- perhaps indefinitely. Also, with the RTU lease option, you can hand pick your points level and associated maintenance fee level.

I have nothing to peddle here, just offering some food for thought...

Last edited:

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been other discussions in these TUG forums about the fantastic bargains sometimes available on Ebay re: a fixed-deeded timeshare week. If there is a resort you would like to vacation at regulary, and it has good rental potential in the years you would like to go elsewhere, it may be possible to win that week already converted by the prior owner to RCI Points.

You would then be able to receive it as RCI Points (in your new or pre-existing account) or decline to place it in RCI Points and acquire it as a traditional fixed week. If you accept it as RCI Points, you can later withdraw from the program and revert to fixed week ownership.

Many Ebay bidders look for fixed weeks at resorts they know and like, but are unfamiliar with RCI Points and shy away from bidding on the same week if it is listed as RCI Points.