• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there ever a time when you shouldn't rescind?

imwendy

Reaction score
I just purchased an HGVC TS retail last week. After reading the boards, I'm hearing loudly that I should rescind and buy a unit on the resale market. Before doing that, I wanted to ask if there's ever a time you shouldn't rescind.

Here are the details of my purchase:

3,400 point EOY Gold 1BR unit at Elara
Purchase price: $13,260
Closing costs: $756.85

I was given 14,400 bonus points as a part of the deal. These, I'm afraid, are the reason I fell prey to the salesman last week.

So, are there any reasons why I shouldn't rescind?

Thanks!!

- Wendy

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
No reason not to - Rescind immediately and be happy you can! :)

Aside from paying too high a price your maintenance fees also seem to high for the number of points you are getting. That's probably why they gave you the bonus points to sucker you in. A high MF/point ratio means you will be overpaying for you vacations well into the future.

On ebay right now you can purchase 7,000 points with about the same yearly cost and my guess is that you will pay way less than half of what you just paid.

imwendy

Reaction score
MFs

I had listed my closing costs. My MFs are estimated at $921 ($773 for the 1BR, $23 for taxes, and $125 for the annual fee) if I understand them correctly.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had listed my closing costs. My MFs are estimated at $921 ($773 for the 1BR, $23 for taxes, and $125 for the annual fee) if I understand them correctly.

What the previous poster was letting you know that you could also pay the exact same MFs for 7000HGVC points instead of 3400.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you can buy double the points with the same MF, why not do that? There are brokers who frequent TUG that will help shepherd your resale through ROFR.

In answer to your original question.... Yes you should buy retail if the property is brand new. There are NO resale weeks available, and it's exactly the fixed week(s) you want. Otherwise rescind and buy resale.

Last edited:

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have 10 days to rescind in Florida. Not sure where you bought but resind and buy resale.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Rescind now and look around. That deal will be there next week if you determine it is what you really need.

Rescind
Research
Relax and buy when ready.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would say the only time not to rescind on a developer/retail timeshare purchase would be if you have all of the money and don't need to finance anything and can comfortably part with the money with zero hardship AND the product or a very similar one is not available on the secondary market AND you 100% understand the product and have done your due diligence/research.

Callrich

Reaction score
They sure got me today

What should I do? Today we Just went to Orlando's sales pitch, hook line and sinker! 5000 points gold, 13,000 bonus. Hate to say it ouch 24k, yearly maintance is 1050. Closing costs were 600. We really like the program and want to buy this package. Please help!

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What should I do? Today we Just went to Orlando's sales pitch, hook line and sinker! 5000 points gold, 13,000 bonus. Hate to say it ouch 24k, yearly maintance is 1050. Closing costs were 600. We really like the program and want to buy this package. Please help!

Rescind & look to a similar resale package. Same vacations - same features - same maintenance costs (for equal points) but a HUGE savings on the purchase price. It is those annual fees that are the true cost of any timeshare package. It only makes sense to minimize any purchase outlay as that is usually lost money. You have only onr chance to rescind & you could buy any day of the year. Take your opportunity and research what you can get for far less. Good luck!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It does not bother me if someone spends too much $$ for too few points.
Do not rescind. Someone needs to provide those nice salespeep with a living.
It also helps provide Hilton with the capital they need to expand the club.

Last edited:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It does not bother me if someone spends too much $$ for too few points.
Do not rescind. Someone needs to provide those nice salespeep with a living.
It also helps provide Hilton with the capital they need to expand the club.

Both groups will have plenty of, er, suckers customers to carry that load. Lets save those we can from grossly overpaying for the same product available much more reasonably resale. (I know you posted in jest. Someone could believe it!)

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

There are instructions in your paperwork on how to rescind. Do that before you do anything else.

AFTER that, maybe browse a few resale sites and see if you can get something for so much less $ that you won't care about not getting any bonus points.

http://judikoz.com/Search.aspx

http://www.sellingtimeshares.net/

http://www.atimeshare.com/hilton/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hgvc

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I'm very new to time sharing so take this with a grain of salt. I'd say the times not to rescind would be:
- It doesn't bother you to pay more, and/or
- You aren't interested in doing the research to track down the deals, and/or
- What you want isn't available on the resale market, and/or
- You don't want to rent, ever.

I remember sometimes people would tell my mom that she could have gotten something cheaper by doing this or that. Her response was "my time is more valuable to me."

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I agree with others that this purchase should definitely be rescinded. There isn't anything unique about the week to warrant the developer premium.

With respect to your question -- is there anything that justifies purchasing directly from the developer. I believe the answer is Yes -- and what justifies is when you are buying a Fixed Week unit -- and want that specific unit size and week. It's much harder replicating then through resale purchases than simply buying a floating week.

This also assumes that the purchaser is experienced enough with timeshares to understand the premium they are paying -- it is a real premium to buy from the developer, and a person needs to appreciate that.

I really believe this -- I bought a fixed 3BR week at MOC from the Developer -- and did so with full knowledge of TUG and resale pricing. But I believed (and continue to believe) that it is difficult to find and buy these things at resale. I'm stlll trying....

Best,

Greg

benyu2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased an HGVC TS retail last week. After reading the boards, I'm hearing loudly that I should rescind and buy a unit on the resale market. Before doing that, I wanted to ask if there's ever a time you shouldn't rescind.

Here are the details of my purchase:

3,400 point EOY Gold 1BR unit at Elara
Purchase price: $13,260
Closing costs: $756.85

I was given 14,400 bonus points as a part of the deal. These, I'm afraid, are the reason I fell prey to the salesman last week.

So, are there any reasons why I shouldn't rescind?

Thanks!!

- Wendy

I went to Hilton presentation and was taken to the desk in 30 mins in and out, plus the video, because I mentioned two words, resale and tug...

What you bought is worth not much more than zero in resale...scroll down for the link Presley posted, I just won the auction of exact same week from this same reseller. Not much more than your closing cost, and MF is lower...3,400 gold is nothing more than an access to open season ( aka last minute booking)

Communication with the reseller is pleasant and will keep all posted when deal closed. Actually, I'm the one dragging the feet in this deal...

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Watch at Grand Dunes
We bought Marriott OW from the developer when Marriott first started selling OW. We bought in the garden view section, in gold season, so it was relatively inexpensive. We were just looking to get into the Marriott system inexpensively.We paid with cash, so we didn't finance it. We looked at the purchase just like purchasing a car, not an investment. We have gone on amazing vacations through Marriott. We have only used our OW three times since we own it. We are going to Hawaii in September for 2 weeks all because of owning our Marriott. Looking at what is available now on the secondary market, Yes we propably overpaid, but at the time it was a good decision for us. We have never regretted our Marriott purchase. Just wish the maintenance fees were a little cheaper :). When we were going to buy, we read and asked all the questions we could on TUG and made our decision. IMHO you must read all you can and learn everything you can about timeshares before you purchase anything. Then you can make an educated decision with what you have to work with. Good Luck with what ever you decide to
do :)

imwendy

Reaction score
Thank you all SO much! I have my letter typed and ready to go. I'll be taking it to the post office at lunch to send by certified mail. I really like the idea of getting in to a TS, and HGVC seems like a great company, but I definitely don't like the idea of paying too much. I have the cash available, but I also have other ways I can spend it! ;-)

I'm so glad I found this site!

- Wendy

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you look for a resale unit at Elara, be sure it is an HGVC unit, and not a Westgate unit. I would think that currently, most resale units at Elara are Westgate units.

benyu2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you look for a resale unit at Elara, be sure it is an HGVC unit, and not a Westgate unit. I would think that currently, most resale units at Elara are Westgate units.

So far all regales listed are Elara. The resellers purposely stated that way to get uninformed bidders confused, only give correct answers if you ask. Just buy one of original three and it is a very good option to have at nominal cost.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So far all regales listed are Elara.

So far all resales are Elara-Westgate.
The original 3 in Vegas... Flamingo, "Karen" (Convention Center) and the Strip.