• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there any penalty for a no-show v cancelling?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I have reservations at WMH for 11/1-11/5. Turns out that I won't be able to go. Long story.

I already have another 2 week vacation planned for late Nov/early December, and so I won't be able to use these SOs toward another vacation before they expire in 2015. (These are SOs that I banked in 2013, so they definitely will expire 12/31/15.) I've already asked all my friends and family if they want it and no one has taken me up on it.

Looks like Starwood will charge me $50 to cancel the reservation. So I'm thinking that instead of cancelling the reservation and paying that fee, I'll just be a no-show. I hate to do that to other SVNers who might like an opportunity to book those days, but I don't see much sense in paying an additional $50 for something I won't use.

My reservation says that there is a $30 housecleaning charge. Without checking in and getting my credit card, they couldn't charge me for something I didn't use, could they?

Does anyone know if there's any penalty for a no-show? If I offered it up for free to a Tugger, I assume that that would be kosher with Starwood since I'm not making any money on it, correct?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
S
I have reservations at WMH for 11/1-11/5. Turns out that I won't be able to go. Long story.

I already have another 2 week vacation planned for late Nov/early December, and so I won't be able to use these SOs toward another vacation before they expire in 2015. (These are SOs that I banked in 2013, so they definitely will expire 12/31/15.) I've already asked all my friends and family if they want it and no one has taken me up on it.

Looks like Starwood will charge me $50 to cancel the reservation. So I'm thinking that instead of cancelling the reservation and paying that fee, I'll just be a no-show. I hate to do that to other SVNers who might like an opportunity to book those days, but I don't see much sense in paying an additional $50 for something I won't use.

My reservation says that there is a $30 housecleaning charge. Without checking in and getting my credit card, they couldn't charge me for something I didn't use, could they?

Does anyone know if there's any penalty for a no-show? If I offered it up for free to a Tugger, I assume that that would be kosher with Starwood since I'm not making any money on it, correct?

I had a similar situation about 3 years ago without a penalty. I did not have the cleaning fee associated with my resie, but, I doub't they would charge you for that because there will be nothing to clean if you don't occupy the unit.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
WMH? Where is this?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Ok thanks! Too far for me to go on short notice.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club

I don't see why there would be a penalty.

I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to give it away if you like.

Glorian

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I don't see why there would be a penalty.

I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to give it away if you like.

Glorian

I agree - I thought the fee was for changing a reservation at <60 days.
Nice offer on LMR... wish I could use it.

btw - iirc, if you are a no-show, they will give your villa away after 48 hours.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Check-in is Nov. 1, so there would be a fee if she cancels now-

Cancellations fees:

60 days – 8 days: $50 cancellation fee

7 days or less: $75 cancellation fee

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Check-in is Nov. 1, so there would be a fee if she cancels now-

Cancellations fees:

60 days – 8 days: $50 cancellation fee

7 days or less: $75 cancellation fee

Interesting - so the alternative is to be a no show? Makes little sense unless the reservation was changed within those times. I would call and ask - as it may not be specifically spelled out and assumed the cancellation would be changed to another reservation and not just plain cancelled.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Interesting - so the alternative is to be a no show? Makes little sense unless the reservation was changed within those times. I would call and ask - as it may not be specifically spelled out and assumed the cancellation would be changed to another reservation and not just plain cancelled.

It doesn't matter - they charge the same fee for a change, within 60 days.

Also - at this point in time, it would be very difficult to find anything else to use the Staroptions for because the resorts are booked solid, the Staroptions are restricted when you cancel within 60 days of check-in, and this isn't very many Staroptions.

It's hard to use restricted Staroptions at the end of the year. When you cancel a Staroption reservation within 60 days, your only option is to pay the fee, and try to find something else - within 60 days. You cannot deposit it, or roll it over to 2016.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It does seem silly that they charge $50 to cancel a reservation because it encourages no shows, esp late in the year when inventory is so thin. IMO, it would be in Starwood's best interest to charge nothing to cancel within 60 days, but instead charge $50 if I wanted to use those now-restricted SOs.

Had I canceled, the inventory would have been made avail for other parties to use, including Starwood.

Oh well. Glad someone could use it

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the penalty starts AFTER 60 days to encourage owners to cancel before then, because Starwood can Hoover up any unreserved inventory at 60 days before check-in.

If you cancel at 61 days or sooner, it's a lot more useful to Starwood than if you cancel at the last minute.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It does seem silly that they charge $50 to cancel a reservation because it encourages no shows, esp late in the year when inventory is so thin. IMO, it would be in Starwood's best interest to charge nothing to cancel within 60 days, but instead charge $50 if I wanted to use those now-restricted SOs.

Had I canceled, the inventory would have been made avail for other parties to use, including Starwood.

Oh well. Glad someone could use it

^^^^ this is what I was referring to ^^^^

I can see if reservation is being changed, but dropped entirely? This is a 'no-lose' situation for SVO/SVN regardless if it is 1 day or 60. Where do they lose? Not getting HouseKeeping fee? Occupant not spending money at resort?
I would be surprised if one called and said they were dropping the reservation w/o using reservation change that they would charge. All one needs to do is not show and get no charge, and SVO/SVN gets nothing in return.
And yes... I know what the rules state...

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dave - if you call and say your aren't using the reservation, they charge you the cancellation fee and put the Staroptions back in your Acct. There is no doubt about it - there are no other options.

You can't say, "I'm donating my Staroptions to Starwood," - there is no provision for that, and it opens up a can of worms.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Dave - if you call and say your aren't using the reservation, they charge you the cancellation fee and put the Staroptions back in your Acct. There is no doubt about it - there are no other options.

You can't say, "I'm donating my Staroptions to Starwood," - there is no provision for that, and it opens up a can of worms.

Have you tried calling (or know anyone?) in LisaR's situation (exactly...)?
Why call? Just do not show... No fee then.

Again - I know what the rules say... no need to repeat yourself. I know people who have changed at <60 days with no fee... (not an outright drop, but a change to later date a few weeks later - low season WKV).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, Dave - I help lots of people with their timeshare reservations, so I've assisted with lots of different situations - including simple cancellations within 60 days.

If you no-show there is no fee.

If you call, they will charge you and return the Staroptions.

Of course Starwood can do whatever they please, but that is not the norm with a standard cancellation like Lisa's.

* I once helped with a situation in which Starwood allowed 3 ocean front 2 bdm. reservations to be moved to the NEXT year with no penalty, because the renter had a heart attack at the last minute and could not go.

* :ponder: Remembering - sometimes Elite owners get the fee waived as a courtesy, I can remember a couple of situations like that, actually.

So I guess I am arguing against myself here! ;) But in general, unless you have a hardship story, if you get the Staroptions back by canceling within 60 days, I believe you will be charged.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the penalty starts AFTER 60 days to encourage owners to cancel before then, because Starwood can Hoover up any unreserved inventory at 60 days before check-in.

If you cancel at 61 days or sooner, it's a lot more useful to Starwood than if you cancel at the last minute.

It was interesting that I got two emails from Starwood on 10/1/15, re my two partial week reservations.

Here's what the WKORV one said:

Subject: Take action on your Maui vacation week

"We hope you're looking forward to your getaway at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas this December.

If your plans have changed and you're not able to enjoy your Maui vacation, please cancel your reservation as soon as possible to preserve your ability to reserve a future vacation.

Simply call Owner Services at xx by October 15 to reassign your StarOptions and avoid the $50 cancellation fee."

(Note that my partial reservation is for 12/2-12/5, so it appears that they were giving me a little leeway here.)

I got a similar one re my WMH reservation, with a little different wording, even though it was already within 60 days of my reservation. Note that they didn't give me any leeway to cancel late here, though I suppose I could have called and pressed the issue.

Obviously they are trying to circumvent no-shows that inevitably plague them late in the year when people are scrambling to use up their SOs before they expire. However, I think that they should go one step further and either waive the $50 cancellation fee this late in the year when inventory is so thin, or at the very least, waive the cancellation fee if the owner agrees to forfeit those SOs. I don't know about other people, but I'd be okay canceling vs letting it sit empty, even when it means forfeiting my SOs, but I'm not willing to pay $50 to do it. There's a limit to my philanthropy.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It's always been strange to me that SVN charges more to cancel than to simply not show up. Unlike hotels that specify a fee (such as first nights cost) timeshares don't seem to do that (since, after all, I suppose it's because we've already paid for it).

I didn't know they gave away the unit after 48 hours.

I've had to delay a trip on one or two occasions and have simply called to say I'm arriving late, and it's not been a problem, but I only think I lost one night.

Lisa, I'm going to ask around to see if any member of my family (in SoCal) is interested in your reservation. I'd take it myself but will be out of town those days already on another trip...such problems...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ken555 - She offered it on the appropriate forum, and has posted that it has been taken.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I can invision the call to OS...

Caller - "Hi, I would like to cancel my reservation that is <60 days"
OS - "OK - that will be a charge of $50"
Caller - "But? - I am just letting it go entirely"
OS - "I understand - that will be a$50 fee..."
Caller - "OK - then I just won't show-up if I get charged to cancel"
OS - "But you will lose your villa after 48 hours after reservation check-in"
Caller - "That's OK - I am not going anyway"

Defies logic...

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm going to ask around to see if any member of my family (in SoCal) is interested in your reservation. I'd take it myself but will be out of town those days already on another trip...such problems...

Appreciate it, but another Tugger has already claimed it.

FYI, the new online system where you can change the name on the reservation can take up to 48 hours. I put in the request late yesterday afternoon and still no word from them. You can call if you need immediate assistance, but once again Starwood drops the ball.

NOTE TO STARWOOD: If you want people to use the online system, which saves you money v. calling an agent, you really should be more responsive.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is correct - the online "change guest" system - it's not an automatic function.

You are just sending a message that a human being has to read and process.

Also - nothing much happens with it over the weekend.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken555 - She offered it on the appropriate forum, and has posted that it has been taken.

Great! Didn't see that part, or that post.

Sent from my iPad