• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there a way to trade weeks at HICV Orange Lake?

cdn_travellr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious if you buy a week resale at HICV Orange Lake is there a way to trade for another week at the same resort (either internally or through RCI or II?) Or when you buy resale can you only use that specific unit and week?

Would it be better then to buy a contract from one of the three resorts that includes the points system and just trade into Orange Lake for the week we want?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Orange lake resales (and non converted retail purchases made years ago) exchanges through rci weeks I would get one there only if you plan on using it for Orange Lake during your week at least 2 out 4 years.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have traded our Orange Lake week into RCI about 25 times in past 30 years. Ours trade for a decent amount of points in RCI as our unit usually falls on the week of4th of July.
We usually go there when it fits in before or after cruises when the port is not too far away.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Just curious if you buy a week resale at HICV Orange Lake is there a way to trade for another week at the same resort (either internally or through RCI or II?) Or when you buy resale can you only use that specific unit and week?

Would it be better then to buy a contract from one of the three resorts that includes the points system and just trade into Orange Lake for the week we want?
I am not aware of internal exchanges, but you may want to read the bylaws to make sure and maybe learn any additional options. I own a float week at Desert Club and found out some useful information that I was not aware in the bylaws, like splitting the week. If you search the FB group, you can get the login info to review bylaws.

If you buy resale, you get that week and unit only, and might be able to convert it to points by purchasing some developer points. Purchasing developer points has been all over the place, so not sure what the cost might be. HICV has also sent conversions offers by email where you can bring 1-3 deeds, depending on the amount of purchased points.

If you buy at the 3 resorts, you can book at any HICV property 10 month out. There is always a lot of availability at Orange Lake. Some types of units do sell, like river island pool view. However, you may want to review the points chart for the week you would like to use the points, and calculate the overall cost ($149 yearly membership fee, $64 booking fee, pointshield fee) and if you need to rent points to cover the a point difference at $10 per 1k points. You may find that owning the week might be a better option as there are no club or reservation fees, with a close to free acquisition price.

2 other things to consider:

1. RCI recently removed the 1 in 4 limitation for Orange Lake exchanges, and West, East, and North villages are always available, and I am sure an ongoing search will pull something too. I also see a lot of last minute deals at these (not the cash option, but the 45 days out exchanges).
2. Consider renting from an HICV owner. I rent out all the time. There is a FB group for rentals as well where you can post requests. We get 15 free guest certificate, you only pay for the points you need, can book less or more than 7 nights, help pay for other members maintenance fees.

Tony

cdn_travellr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great info, thanks! I didn’t know they’d removed the 1 in 4 rule, so that definitely changes the perspective on trading through RCI. Do owners of contracts from the 3 resorts usually price them higher as resales because they offer the ability to book at any HICV resort?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Great info, thanks! I didn’t know they’d removed the 1 in 4 rule, so that definitely changes the perspective on trading through RCI. Do owners of contracts from the 3 resorts usually price them higher as resales because they offer the ability to book at any HICV resort?
Yes resales for weeks that get a decent number of points can go in the $2000-6000+ range depending on the week and unit size and MF's. That is much higher than the HICV deeds that revert back to a fixed week (or float week depending on the resort) upon resale.