• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there a thread (or an external website) with basics on using MVC points to reserve Interval weeks?

Hexagonal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been a member here since 2017 when we bought into the Marriott Vacation Club system. I rarely post but have always found TUGBBS really helpful. I'm looking for general background info on using MVC points to reserve weeks at Interval properties, since we've never done that. I've searched here, but haven't found any thread really on point. I know (now) that when we started with Marriott we were automatically assigned an Interval International membership number. I used that number to gain online access to Interval to do searches, but nothing happens to be open in the searches I've done. So is there a thread here (or an external website) with basics on how to use MVC points to reserve Interval weeks? Thanks in advance.

I did read the Interval International exchange FAQ pinned to the top of this board. That helps explain how the process works for owners of Interval weeks. I can't tell if there's a way I can look at Interval weeks (or short stays, I bumped my II membership to Gold for 2 years to get access to those), then figure out how many MVC points that stay would take, then deposit my MVC points into II. That deposit is probably not reversible, so I don't want to do it and only THEN look for a week -- or even worse, deposit the points but have the open spot I saw be taken by somebody else while the transfer is happening!

I'm specifically trying to figure out how to stay in Maine in mid to late July 2021, like at Harbor Ridge in Southwest Harbor Maine. (Probably all sewn up by the actual timeshare owners, unless they cancel out at short notice.) We also want to visit Dublin or elsewhere in Ireland some time in the first two weeks of January 2022. Nothing at all is popping up, I read various explanations in the Interval forums about that. Somebody mentioned setting up a recurring Interval search. Pointers to pages or threads that tell how to do that would be most appreciated!

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted what is currently available in Harbor Ridge here:

You are correct that a July week will only appear as a cancellation or an e-plus retrade.

Ireland rarely has any availability. There is one week currently available for exchange in the entire country: There are more weeks available as Getaways.

I would not deposit Marriott points for either of those exchanges as both have very low probability of success. Instead, download the Interval app and set up "Getaway alerts". When your dates become available as a Getaway (cash rental), the app will ding and show a little number 1 next to it. There are some dates in Dec at Fitzpatrick and another resort in Ireland. The Getaway price may even be less than the cost of your MVC points. The only caveat is Getaways are non-refundable. As an II member, you can search Getaways any time. Keep an eye on prices, and compare them to the "sale prices" that II occasionally offers.

Last edited:

Hexagonal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, HudsHut, helpful. I'll certainly download the app. But I'm trying to use up points that otherwise will go to waste -- if I'm going to use cash I'll probably just stay in a hotel or something, with cash or with Marriott Bonvoy points. I'll study the Getaway options, I imagine they are specific properties that that would give me access to that an outsider wouldn't. I tried visiting the threads you posted but I was denied access, btw.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your user name shows "guest" under it. You need to enter a code to make it show "member".

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you use your MVC points on MVC resorts. You can rent out your points (unless they're restricted) and reservations, too.

Hexagonal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well we do, we stayed in Branson in January which was pretty ideal -- all the shows were closed, but we had a reason to drive through MO regardless and used the place as a staging area to visit NE Arkansas, Eureka Springs is a cool spot. We used MVC points in Spain late last Feb. just before the pandemic hit. But we've got family reasons to go to Ireland in Jan 2022. And we told one family member we'd at least look at getting up to Maine this summer -- there's a little back-and-forth about that one: seems too soon to fly to me, but driving would use up way too much time. But I'm just looking at this point.

Hexagonal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your user name shows "guest" under it. You need to enter a code to make it show "member".
Hi, thanks, did that, maybe it takes a second.