• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there a "How to buy a re-sale Timeshare" Sticky?

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I happened to run across a post by Limace asking about the process of buying a re-sale timeshare. I looked through this forum but what I found was a lot of info about how to Sell or Rent but nothing about how to buy. Limace asked a very simple question about how long the process would take from making the offer to being able to use the new purchase.

There's a lot of good information on this site about the subject. But, it doesn't seem to have ever been consolidated for reference. I would think something like that would have to cover things like:
  • What information should be requested of the seller?
  • What good resources for performing the transfer (ie. LTTransfers) exist?
  • What's a reasonable expectation for the transaction to be completed?
  • What special things should the buyer look for in an advertisement?
  • Are there any "gotcha's" that a buyer has to be aware of, like contract restrictions that would revert a contract from points to weeks?

I'm sure there's other questions about the process that I haven't listed.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Piñon Pointe (eoy odd)
Hilton on the Boulevard (eoy even)
Hilton on the Boulevard (annual)
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge (annual)
I've purchased 4 timeshares (all resale) and 3 out of the 4 were free listings. Here's my perspective:

1. I request the estoppel letter from the management company (Hilton, Hyatt etc). This will show the week, points, balance for fees etc. This is a must have so you know you are getting what was advertised. Some management companies will charge a fee. It's up to the buyer and seller to determine who's responsible for the fee. In my transactions, the seller paid this fee. The fee is small, don't sweat it.

2. I like LT transfers. I've also worked with sellers who like other companies. It's up to the buyer and seller to determine which company to use.

3. Once the paperwork is sent to the county to transfer the deed, most have turned around the paperwork in 2-4 weeks. After the new deed is issued, the escrow company will send the deed and other paperwork to the management company. Most management companies take 2-4 weeks to setup the account once they receive the paperwork. The escrow process is much slower in the timeshare world than a typical real estate transaction. Patience is a virtue. Plan on a minimum of 6-8 weeks from start to finish. I had one transaction take nearly 16 weeks.

4. Some programs limit benefits for resale owners. As an example, Hyatt doesn't allow resale owners to transfer points to the World of Hyatt program. Not an issue for me as the conversion rate is horrible anyway and it's not a good use of the maintenance fee that you'll pay each year. Other programs don't allow resale owners to qualify for their elite status. Again, the benefits just aren't worth it in my opinion. I'd much rather save $20k-$50k on my contract and they can keep their elite status.

I hope this helps. This is just my perspective based on my experience on buying (2) Hilton and (2) Hyatt contracts.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
Thanks for posting this-I will definitely follow :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrslori

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've purchased 4 timeshares (all resale) and 3 out of the 4 were free listings. Here's my perspective:

1. I request the estoppel letter from the management company (Hilton, Hyatt etc). This will show the week, points, balance for fees etc. This is a must have so you know you are getting what was advertised. Some management companies will charge a fee. It's up to the buyer and seller to determine who's responsible for the fee. In my transactions, the seller paid this fee. The fee is small, don't sweat it.

2. I like LT transfers. I've also worked with sellers who like other companies. It's up to the buyer and seller to determine which company to use.

3. Once the paperwork is sent to the county to transfer the deed, most have turned around the paperwork in 2-4 weeks. After the new deed is issued, the escrow company will send the deed and other paperwork to the management company. Most management companies take 2-4 weeks to setup the account once they receive the paperwork. The escrow process is much slower in the timeshare world than a typical real estate transaction. Patience is a virtue. Plan on a minimum of 6-8 weeks from start to finish. I had one transaction take nearly 16 weeks.

4. Some programs limit benefits for resale owners. As an example, Hyatt doesn't allow resale owners to transfer points to the World of Hyatt program. Not an issue for me as the conversion rate is horrible anyway and it's not a good use of the maintenance fee that you'll pay each year. Other programs don't allow resale owners to qualify for their elite status. Again, the benefits just aren't worth it in my opinion. I'd much rather save $20k-$50k on my contract and they can keep their elite status.

I hope this helps. This is just my perspective based on my experience on buying (2) Hilton and (2) Hyatt contracts.

Thanks for posting!! I am in the process of buying my first timeshare (resale of course ) and this really helps answer a few questions for me .

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any "gotcha's" that a buyer has to be aware of, like contract restrictions that would revert a contract from points to weeks?

Fwiw, I will share a "learning experience" from my own first resale timeshare purchase, several decades ago now. It pertains to "floating" or "flex" weeks and is applicable at independent resorts and / or "chains" (such as HGVC) that have various "flex" versions.

I knew exactly where I wanted to acquire a week (coastal SW FL). I knew exactly when I wanted to go there (only in winter). I knew that I would buy only via resale and preferably at an "independent" resort, rather than within a "chain". I commenced my search for the right resort / location / week and ultimately found what I thought might be the perfect acquisition. But....

It was a "floating" week, annual use. After speaking with the seller, I retrieved the deed online. Nowhere within that recorded deed was there any reference to any "seasons" or "week ranges" or any other identification or mention of any reservation limitations of any kind, nor did the seller disclose any such constraints to me. I was too inexperienced back then to dig deeper and ask all of the right questions and / or to contact the resort directly to specifically inquire about any reservation limitations (none were mentioned in either the deed or in the estoppel). I reached an agreement with the seller on price and closing details and bought the week.

Fast forward a few months. I contacted the resort to make my first reservation and promptly learned (for the first time and to my chagrin and surprise), that "floating" week owners at that resort (as at most resorts in coastal SW FL, I later learned) were specifically excluded from reserving any week between weeks 5--15, inclusive. Turns out those weeks are exclusive to fixed week owners at many / most SW FL places). This "excluded" time period (most of winter) was and remains the only time period in which I would have any interest in being in Florida. Embarrassed and humbled by my own failure to have learned everything that I had needed to know about my purchase, I promptly sold that "floating" week for peanuts. I had not paid very much for it, so the financial loss was not significant.
Unlike my seller, I very clearly and openly disclosed those very substantial reservation constraints to my buyer.

The bottom line is that on Planet Timeshare, the devil is always in the details. Failure to learn all pertinent details is at your peril. :ponder:

Last edited:

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
As always the people on TUG are extremely helpful. I'll continue to watch additional posts to this. But, I'll try to consolidate this info into a single post and see if it can be made into a sticky in this forum.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score