• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is the Valdoro a HGVC club? How does it work? Please look at this auction

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How about this ebay auction
I just sited it on a post about Holiday Group and this location. I didn't know this place was a HGVC resort.

Further,I am interested in buying an inexpensive HGVC resort without having to deal with ROFR. I have been offered 7K at the Flamingo but the price was too high and the points for '08 were already gone.

Are there any other HGVC properties that don't have HGVC's ROFR attached?

Last edited:

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, Flamingo is the only non-ROFR resort, but I can be wrong.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am interested in buying an inexpensive HGVC resort without having to deal with ROFR. I have been offered 7K at the Flamingo but the price was too high and the points for '08 were already gone. Are there any other HGVC properties that don't have HGVC's ROFR attached?

I can't answer that specific question, but I would like to say...
IMHO, you need not be so reluctant to buy a ROFR-property. Yeah, sure, it creates a waiting-game and you could end up shut-out, but usually for only 30 days. If the resort steps in, then its the seller who's screwed 'cuz he priced it too low, but you get to keep looking. Then, when you go to sell, you'll know that at least there's a floor and to get comparable prices B4 you put it on the market.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't answer that specific question, but I would like to say...
IMHO, you need not be so reluctant to buy a ROFR-property. Yeah, sure, it creates a waiting-game and you could end up shut-out, but usually for only 30 days. If the resort steps in, then its the seller who's screwed 'cuz he priced it too low, but you get to keep looking. Then, when you go to sell, you'll know that at least there's a floor and to get comparable prices B4 you put it on the market.

Your right about the resale aspect, but having been ROFR'd by HGVC, it is a gigantic pain to wait for 45 days while the closing company holds your cash only to have the contract bought back.

Can someone answer my question about the HILTON HGVC VALDORO MOUNTAIN LODGE COLORADO I mentioned http://cgi.ebay.com/HILTON-HGVC-VAL...=39:1|66:4|65:1|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks for your responses.

sml2181

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Valdoro is HGVC - affiliated

It is a very nice resort (I happen to think it is 1 of the nices in Breck) and the auction will get you 1 fixed winter ski week plus additional floating point. If you do not use your fixed ski week, you simply have 7000 HGVC points to use per year. You will be able to use them at 9 months out for any other HGVC resort.

Hopefully a Valdoro owner will chime in to tell the ins and outs about this ownership as I do think that the points work the same as any other HGVC points but I am not an affiliate owner...

judgerey

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do the points at Valdoro work? The auction you list is for a 1 br. platinum, which is usually 4800 pts., but the auction says 7000 pts. I understand that there is one fixed ski week and 1 flexible summer week, but how many points are allocated to the summer week?

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
How do the points at Valdoro work? The auction you list is for a 1 br. platinum, which is usually 4800 pts., but the auction says 7000 pts. I understand that there is one fixed ski week and 1 flexible summer week, but how many points are allocated to the summer week?

Be very careful if you are bidding on this auction!!! It is misleading (at best). As you point out, a 1BR platinum season is 4800 points. I believe the auction is actually a STUDIO, not a 1BR. I have seen studios listed as 1BR before -- I think they just don't realize what they own.

All studios at Valdoro are actually "studio plus" category, and are worth 3500 points in platinum season (see this point chart for reference). This is the only explanation that would explain a 1 fixed ski week and one summer flex week (which, as I had mentioned in another thread, was a common package that was sold by Valdoro) equaling 7000 points total.

Bottom line: this auction isn't the best for someone just looking for points. You would have maintenance fees for two weeks -- you can get 7K points in Vegas for much less in MFs. If you are looking for a fixed ski week, this would be ok. But be warned: the studios at Valdoro are VERY SMALL. They have a Murphy bed (not very comfortable) that when folded out takes up pretty much the whole living space. The crazy thing is that the sofa can also pull out to a bed, but you can't have both the Murphy bed and the sleeper sofa pulled out at the same time -- there is not enough room!

Kurt

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be very careful if you are bidding on this auction!!! It is misleading (at best). As you point out, a 1BR platinum season is 4800 points. I believe the auction is actually a STUDIO, not a 1BR. I have seen studios listed as 1BR before -- I think they just don't realize what they own.

All studios at Valdoro are actually "studio plus" category, and are worth 3500 points in platinum season (see this point chart for reference). This is the only explanation that would explain a 1 fixed ski week and one summer flex week (which, as I had mentioned in another thread, was a common package that was sold by Valdoro) equaling 7000 points total.

Bottom line: this auction isn't the best for someone just looking for points. You would have maintenance fees for two weeks -- you can get 7K points in Vegas for much less in MFs. If you are looking for a fixed ski week, this would be ok. But be warned: the studios at Valdoro are VERY SMALL. They have a Murphy bed (not very comfortable) that when folded out takes up pretty much the whole living space. The crazy thing is that the sofa can also pull out to a bed, but you can't have both the Murphy bed and the sleeper sofa pulled out at the same time -- there is not enough room!

Kurt

Wow that auction is worded carefully to make you believe you will get the 7K points + an additional week-- all for one maintenance fee. Thanks so much for clearing this up.

Another question: In the HGVC program are the maintenance fees for a one bdrm, 5000 pts, the same as a two bdrm, 7,000 pts? If this is true why would anyone buy a 5K pt contract?

Thanks a lot

mesamirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
I emailed the auction holder asking to clarify if its a studio or 1 bedroom, here was the reply:

Hi,
It is a studio.
Thanks,
Tommy

Nothing like an intentionally deceptive eBay auction.

UNIT SIZE: 1br/1ba

Bearbacker

Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying resale at Valdoro, and there is no ROFR. HGVC requires you to send in a waiver form for their execution (I don't understand it's purpose, though, since there's nothing for them to waive), so you do have to wait on them to return it before you can close, but they don't have a ROFR.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow that auction is worded carefully to make you believe you will get the 7K points + an additional week-- all for one maintenance fee. Thanks so much for clearing this up.

Another question: In the HGVC program are the maintenance fees for a one bdrm, 5000 pts, the same as a two bdrm, 7,000 pts? If this is true why would anyone buy a 5K pt contract?

Thanks a lot
For all HGVC properties (and affiliates), maintenance fees are based on unit size, not season/number of points. That means a person will pay the same MF for a 5K point Gold 2BR as someone else will pay for a 7K-point Platinum 2BR (or a 3500-point Silver 2BR!). However, you can usually purchase non-platinum weeks for much less. You just have to determine how long you intend to own, and see which would be the better deal for you.

Kurt

YoungCat

Reaction score
I emailed the auction holder asking to clarify if its a studio or 1 bedroom, here was the reply:

Hi,
It is a studio.
Thanks,
Tommy

Nothing like an intentionally deceptive eBay auction.

UNIT SIZE: 1br/1ba

For a pure points purchase, wouldn't this still be good value at $4000-$5000 since its still 7000 annual points?? 7000 annual points at the Vegas properties have been going for $10k and up so why wouldn't this be a good points purchase?

What am I not understanding??

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For a pure points purchase, wouldn't this still be good value at $4000-$5000 since its still 7000 annual points?? 7000 annual points at the Vegas properties have been going for $10k and up so why wouldn't this be a good points purchase?

What am I not understanding??
As yo probably saw, it ended at $7100. Not a bad price for 7K points -- but given the other omissions and outright incorrect information on the auction, my confidence in the accuracy of the maintenance fees is quite low. I know Valdoro's MFs are a fair amount higher than Vegas and Orlando. The quoted $929 MF most most likely does not include taxes, which can be high in Breckenridge. So in all, I am guessing that you would pay at least $200-300 less per year if you got a Vegas 7K package.

Also, there have been some recent posts regarding how there are more restrictions on borrowing, etc. when you own an affiliate vs. a core property -- for a points-only purchase, that could reduce the flexibility a bit.

Now, $7100 isn't bad for a fixed ski week -- although week 3 can be cold, and the studio (or 1BR as the seller calls it :rolleyes:) is very small. Someone got a pretty decent deal, but not the greatest as a points-only deal, IMO.

Kurt

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
For all HGVC properties (and affiliates), maintenance fees are based on unit size, not season/number of points. That means a person will pay the same MF for a 5K point Gold 2BR as someone else will pay for a 7K-point Platinum 2BR (or a 3500-point Silver 2BR!). However, you can usually purchase non-platinum weeks for much less. You just have to determine how long you intend to own, and see which would be the better deal for you.

Kurt

You just have to determine how long you intend to own, and see which would be the better deal for you.

I am a little confused, all HGVC contracts at a specific resort cost the same in maintenance fees, right? So a 5000 point contract used for a one bdrm in platinum time will cost the same in MFs as a two bdrm 7000 point contract used in platinum time.

So if I bought two 5K contracts for a total of $8,000 I would have to pay 2 x the yearly maintenance fees. If I bought a 10K contract for $12,000 I would pay only one maintenance fee? Do I have this correct?

So I would have to figure in the cost of the maintenance fees when buying two small contracts. If I keep the small contracts for five years and the maintenance fees are $700 for each contract, my five yr amount will be $8,000 + 5($1400) =$14,000.

For the larger, 10K, contract I will pay $12,000 +5(700) =$15,500

If I do the same for 10 years my two 5K contracts will cost me $8000 + 10($1400) =$22000

and the one 10K will be $12,000 + 10(700) =$19000

If I keep the small contracts for a short time I am better off with two small less expensive contracts. If I keep the larger contract for a longer time it will pay for itself quicker.

Whew, who knew?

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep, you got it Marilyn. But I would add that if you are purchasing one of the locations where you would take advantage of the 12-month reservation window for owners, then you have to factor in if you would use the exact unit size and season for which you own.

If you are just purchasing for generic points, you can just crunch the numbers as in your example. The longer you plan to own, the more important it is to own Platinum points.

Kurt

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a little confused, all HGVC contracts at a specific resort cost the same in maintenance fees, right? So a 5000 point contract used for a one bdrm in platinum time will cost the same in MFs as a two bdrm 7000 point contract used in platinum time.

I don't think that is quite correct.

All 1-br's would have the same mf regardless of season (platinum/gold/etc).
All 2-br's would have the same mf regardless of season.
But 1-br's would have a lower mf than 2-br's.

(Also, in the affiliates I own, the taxes are not the same for all, with the more expensive weeks paying a higher amount in taxes than the less expensive weeks.)

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can get a two bdrm for your 5,000 points in a shoulder (gold) season, you are in fact, buying a two bdrm gold season aka a one bedroom platinum season. Isn't this true?

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly how Valdoro works, but with the HGVC developed resorts, you don't actually buy a contract worth 'x' amount of points, but rather a week in a type of unit (eg 1-br, 2-br, etc) in a season (gold, platinum, etc.). And that week is worth a certain number of points. MF's are based on the type of unit you bought, not the number of points it's worth.

So, at a given resort, a 1-br platinum is worth 4800 points, a 1-br gold is worth 3400 points, a 2-br platinum is worth 7000 points, and a 2-br gold is worth 5000 points.
But a 1-br platinum and a 1-br gold would have the same mf's, and a 2-br platinum and a 2-br gold would have the same mf's. And the 1-br mf's would be less than the 2-br.

hope this helps

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
John hit the nail on the head -- you need to stop thinking about buying points. Instead, you buy a week that happens to be worth x number of points (depending on what season it lands in). If you think about it that way, it is much more clear.

And BTW, Valdoro and all HGVC properties (affiliates and HGVC-developed) work this same way.

To make the waters even more muddy :), owners of some Florida affiliate properties own floating weeks that actually float across different HGVC seasons! They have a lottery system to make a reservation. Then the can take their confirmed week and either use it, deposit it into a trading company, or deposit it into HGVC. If they deposit it into HGVC, they get a number of HGVC points based on what season that week is in.

So for a simple example, say a person owns a 2BR week that floats all year (weeks 1-52), but weeks 1-26 are Platinum and 27-52 are Gold. If you reserve week 2 and deposit it to HGVC you would get 7000 points. But if you got a week 40 reservation, you would only receive 5000 points if you deposited it with HGVC. In either case, you would pay the same MF since the MF is based on what you own: a 2BR floating week, not a certain number of points.

Clear as mud, right? But remember -- this is a special case that only applies to certain Florida affiliates.

Kurt

Last edited: